“Urban Lodge - says it all”

The Hoxton, Shoreditch
Ranked #100 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Lovely hotel, clean comfortable and being on the 5th floor meant a good nights sleep (it was very busy and it did feel like a night club - see the other reviews) but in my opinion that's a good thing. The food in the grill was superb - the weird coloured eggs are divine) and all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Interesting decor, very post modern, quirky, like the signage.

Very good location and close to Old Street Tube.

Room Tip: Get a room as high as you can

Reviewed 24 March 2013

The room was good and clean.
It was also silent the first two nights. On the third night there was a strange beeping or quirking noise in the yard that continued the whole night. We drowned it out by turning on the air conditioning.
Staff was friendly and helpful.
Location was good. Close to the tube.
Restaurant and lobby was crowdy and noisy. Seems to a place that attracts young people in a party mood. We had to find another place to enjoy a quiet meal.
The free breakfast was a surprise. I was looking forward to an english breakfast, but it was a banana, an orange juice and yogurt.
We enjoyed the stay, but will probably choose another hotel the next time around, so I get my english breakfast.

Room Tip: We had a room facing away from the street.
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I’ve just checked out from my first visit at the Hoxton Hotel. Nice room on the 3rd floor and good hotel location, however don't bank on actually sleeping in this 'Hotel'.

I spend on average 2-3 nights a week in Shoreditch Hotels for work, and until now, I’ve never been kept awake for most of the night by a function in the hotel itself.

After telephoning reception at around 11.30 to inform them that the headboard of my bed was vibrating with the bass from the DJ’s music – let alone the actual noise level in the room, I was assured the “…music would be turned down straight away…” Of course it was not. After midnight, it was turned down, to the point where sleep was still only a good idea at very best. I managed all of 3.5 hours sleep.

Just to wind you up even more, I was then greeted with a giggle by the receptionist and “…yes, we should have told you about that…” when making a complaint about the noise checking-out. 1st class service?!?!

No warnings during booking or checking-in about any 'disco', that would actually prohibit using the room for sleep until at least 2am. No response from my complaint by email either.

Be very, very fussy about which room they put you in, and dont expect any assistance if you have a problem.

1  Thank PJM99
TimothyGriffin, General Manager at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Hi PJM99,

Thank you for letting us know your feedback. We sell sleep, and our team loves to ensure our guests enjoy a comfy bed and great nights sleep. We are sorry an over enthusiastic DJ meant your stay wasn't memorable for the right reasons. I know my colleague Hayley emailed you separately over the weekend and invited you back, and am delighted you accepted our offer. Our entire team is looking forward to ensuring you sleep like a baby.

With thanks,

Timothy and the Hox Team

Reviewed 23 March 2013

This hotel is great. Stay there...you will not regret it!!!! Great location. Friendly staff. Also the Hoxton Grill has really good food. Very close to Old Street tube (5 mins) and a Liverpool Street (15 Mins).

Room Tip: High Floor back of Hotel
1  Thank Freedom_EEE
Reviewed 22 March 2013

A lovely stay at the Hoxton. It reminds me of a W hotel but with a sense of humour. The room isn't big but modern with a nice bathroom (shower only) though I'm not a big fan of the rainfall type shower but it does have a handheld shower head as well.

The free daily breakfast is light but healthy and yummy. (Orange juice, yogurt with fruit and nuts, banana).

I had not done room service in a hotel since I was a kid with my parents but I decided to try it at the Hoxton because their prices were so reasonable compared to every other hotel I've stayed at. The steak was very good and the black pepper sauce was amazing. At 17 pounds including fries, it was one of the most expensive items on the menu so there are other lower priced items as well that I wish I had tried.

It's close to the Old Street Tube, about 5 min walk. Also a few minutes to the bus stop which took me right to Soho.

The Shoreditch area isn't that great for tourists but has a lot of great little restaurants, especially at lunch time.

I'd stay here again even if just visiting for fun rather than business.

Room Tip: Higher floors will be quieter if you are a light sleeper since the lobby area is full of people at n...
1  Thank sorjue
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Great bed, calm room, squeaky clean bathroom, nice bar and restaurant, easy to find, free breakfeast at your door, friendly staff, close to the Tube, what else does one need? I wish there were more hotels ike this one.

1  Thank FalcoPeregrinus95
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed at The Hoxton for 1 night and it was a very positive experience. Friendly staff, nice rooms plus a very down to earth ambience at the hotel. Being on a business trip I did not do a lot of sightseeing yet the location seemed very convenient - walking distance from Liverpool Street (10-15 min) and near the Old Street tube would have made this a good spot for exploring London. I would most certainly stay here again.

1  Thank Mitsuvistis