“My London Base”

Ranked #109 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“My London Base”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have been staying at The Hoxton for around three years now. It continues to evolve with interesting pop-ups, regular events and decor tweaks. The location is great, the staff extremely friendly and the vibe is very cool. Quite simply it has become my home from home whenever I'm in London.

1 Thank C10H16N5O13P3
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
WOOP WOOP! We're pretty stoked that you are still sharing the love after 3 years! Lovely to hear that you like the pop-ups and events too. Do keep on coming back, we love having you here.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
HERTFORDSHIRE
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We love the area around the hotel, so to have such a lovely place to stay is such a bonus. Have stayed here a few times and recommended it to friends who also have only good things to say about it. The rooms have had a bit of a facelift since we stayed last year not that they needed it but now they are even better. We love the food and the bar which is so buzzy in the evenings you don't really need to even leave the hotel if you didn't want to.
Cannot say enough good things about The Hoxton, go there....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Well isn't that great! We're really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and made the most of the Grill too. We hope you tried a burger - if not put it on the list for next time. Thanks again and hope to see you in the hood soon.
Newcastle
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have been wanting to stay at this hotel for a while after seeing the £1 offers that they have, unforutnately I didnt get that rate this time but I certainly didnt pay through the roof.

The headline of this review really sums up how I felt about the hotel after reading a similiar headline describing the Hoxton. It is a real relfection of a fun and young London.

I would definatley recommend you stay here for easy access to much of London.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Why thank you! We'll take that one and bank it. Thank you for spreading the love and we look forward to welcoming you again!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here over New Years and it was the perfect place to stay, I was slightly nervous about the location but the underground station is so close and makes it very easy to get anywhere. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. The rooms are modern and spotless. The lobby is beautiful and always very popular to enjoy a cocktail or food. Would recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay in a concept room if possible or on a high level floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Aw thank you! That's pretty nice, that is! We'd definitely have you here again and don't leave it too long ;-)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Found this place for my parents to stay for the weekend whilst visiting London- great location, in the middle of Shoreditch, and when we were all too travelled out to make it outside the hotel, we had a delicious meal with amazing cocktails in the restaurant/bar that does not feel at all like a hotel lobby. All in all, would highly recommend- even just for a drink if you're in the neighbourhood!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write some lovely words about us. We agree the cocktails are amazing - sometimes a little too amazing ;-) We hope to see you in the 'hood again soon.
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel, so I will just say there is not a single aspect of my three night stay that did not exceed my expectations.

I was on my first trip to London coming off three day jaunts in Amsterdam and Paris, where our hotels cost approximately $200/night (USD). Having heard and read about the expense of London generally, I was a bit unsettled about what we would get in Shoreditch (whatever that meant) for about $110.00 per night. I could not believe my eyes when we arrived.

First of all, the Hotel is marvelously appointed. It reminds me of Chicago's west loop industrial design inspired restaurants. There is a popular bar and grill in the lobby (note, despite the crowds taking in the scene, we did not hear a thing from our room on the first floor). We enjoyed tea and mac & cheese in the lobby area near a fireplace and could not have felt more at home.

As far as location, my wife and I loved the Shoreditch/Hoxton area. Tons of restaurants, pubs, bars, lounges nearby. If you are looking to stay close to the Thames at any cost, I would suggest looking elsewhere. However, if you are ok taking the tube around town and want to be in a younger, more energetic part of the city, book your stay immediately. I fear that the secret of this place will be out before long and it will cost twice as much next time we try to book a stay there. Seriously, I cannot believe that we got this experience for the same price as an off highway Red Roof Inn.

As for the room/amenities. The room was the largest of the three hotels we stayed at in Europe (Hotel Orlando--Amsterdam; Hotel de Sevres--Paris). The television had a glut of stations. The shower and bathroom was very well appointed. Overall, could not have asked for better.

I am a genius for finding this place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
One word...WOWZA! Thank you for the lovely comments - you might also like to know we have a hotel opening in Amsterdam next year too!

Great to hear you enjoyed the mac'n'cheese - we hope you added the jalapeños and bacon! And yes it's fair to say you are indeed a genius ;-)
Melbourne
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed two nights and it was... Okay. Not as good as the reviews imply but not terrible. Bed was comfy. Breakfast was kinda yuck (sour juice, unripe bananas, nice yoghurt). Pretty awful staff I some cases - they are not great at being nice and it's clear they only do nice things so you recommend them (they actually asked me to fill out the recommendation form!). Other staff were nice but didn't I out of their way to help.

The location is actually not that great, either. If I went back to London I'd stay closer to the city/brick lane. It's a shame this isn't actually good for young people because there it's a lot of choice in this area.

I think if I got a cheap rate as they do apparently offer sometimes I'd be happier with the value of the stay/fairness of the price. In any case, I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank immyimmy
Thank you for taking the time to review us, we're really pleased that you liked the hotel and we're really sorry about the experience in the grill. Do email jules@thehox.com the next time you visit us as we'd like to apologise in person. Thanks again.