“Dont stay in room 125”

The Hoxton, Shoreditch
Ranked #95 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel Sunday 4th May to Monday 5th May (Bank Holiday) with my wife. First time stay at the hotel although we had eaten their previously.

Hotel ambiance was great and staff were very welcoming. Rooms were comfortable and functional.

We were asked at reception if this was the first time we had stayed in the hotel and were given room 125......(maybe they didn't want us to stay there again)!

Our friends arrived and checked in 10minutes later and were given rooms on the 6th floor (lucky them)!

On return to the hotel at approx. 2am on Monday morning I was staggered to find that residents could not order a drink....no explanation given just "we are shut"!!!

Worse still was the fact that we were woken up at 7:30AM and every 15minutes from there on in due to the fact that our room was directly above the service and loading area.......NOBODY TOLD US THAT WHEN WE CHECKED IN!!!

From staff entering and leaving the area what seemed like every minute, lorries loading/unloading deliveries such as linen on metal trollies etc, bottle drink bins being emptied, staff shouting, from 7:30 I can list every job carried out in that service area........

to top things off, when I complained when checking out, all I got from the front desk was a wry smile?? and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, I'll make sure your complaint is passed on to the relevant team!

Not heard anything since and probably don't expect too......Hoxton customer service is very poor just like my lie in on Monday!!

Room Tip: room 125 directly above service area - ask for another room!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James S
Ben S, Director of Operations at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Hi James S,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Hoxton, sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the noise below your room.

I would love to discuss your stay further with you, please drop me a line at benjamin@thehox.com

Thanks

Ben

Write a ReviewReviews (4,866)

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed again at the Hoxton Hotel in Shoreditch for a couple of days. It was still a good idea. We did like the new refurbished rooms, the wooden floors brought some additional style to them. The service was still excellent, the bed approved by HM. The towels were marvelous. Over all, it was a perfect stay at the Hoxton. We are missing you...

Room Tip: Try a room in the upper floors
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Hoxcellent? We LOVE it! Thank you for taking the time to share the love, great to hear that you digged the refurb. Hope to have you in the house again soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I don't like change. There, I said it. Whenever I stay away, I always feel homesick and never really relax. This is the first place I can say that when I stepped in my room, I just felt at ease straight away. It just felt comfortable. The decor is simple but elegant and modern. The food quality was excellent, actually delivered hot and not lukewarm. There was a mini drama; a glass of wine was dropped (and smashed) landing in and on the only pair of shoes that I brought with me. The hotel were very apologetic and agreed to pay for my taxi fees so I could hot foot it to a shoe shop to buy a second pair.
I'd make some adjustments though, the room air con was so noisy it sounded like starting up a motorbike (however I have to say the soundproofing from the street outside was excellent). Also, when I reported 'shoe-gate' to the front desk, the girls on the desk were fantastic but I did then get a 'it's not our budget, it's the restaurants budget' response from the duty manager. Not ideal when you just want someone to help you in sorting it all out. All sorted in the end though and the restaurant manager was understanding.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SuburbanSafari
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Great to hear that you felt at home in our home! Really sorry to hear about the wine and again great to hear it was resolved and you managed to find some new shoes. We do hope to have you in the house again soon. Thank you for taking the time to review.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel is situated in a strategic area. It's is very stylish and mornen, our room was spacious and very clean on the 5th floor. I found great the idea of lite breakfast and I loved having kettle and coffee maker in the room. The staff was great, kind and helpful, always ready to fulfill our desires. By best regards to Nikos at the reception, he exceeded himself to serve us and make our stay enjoyable e.g. the information for East London and Camden town he gave to us was very usefull, thanks Nikos!
BUT, there is one thing I didn't like at all. At check-in we're asked for our credit card and they charged it with 50p per nignt as a guarantee in case we would eat or drink anything at the lobby.! This is the first time it ever happened to me. After a half month later, the bank hasn't released the amount yet. Anyway, apart of this fact, I would gladly stay at Hoxton Hotel again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IOANNIS P
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

For such a busy vibrant place the rooms were quiet and cosy. They'd really thought of everything (maybe an extra shower gel could be put in the bathrooms) and I can't fault it for the price. Comfy bed, good size room. Didn't eat in the restaurant but had cocktails which were fab. Will return again and can highly recommend

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are really pleased that you had a really good nights sleep! Thank you for taking the time to write some kind words about us. Hope to have you in the house again, real soon!

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a hip and trendy new hotel in London, right next to the vibrant Shoreditch area, this is very good choice.

Reasonable prices, amazing staff, great rooms with sleek design and a restaurant/bar/cafeteria which is always full of people and with a DJ from late afternoon.

Liverpool street station is about 10min walking distance.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Well we would definitely have you again! Thank you for taking the time to share the love. Great to hear that you liked the hotel and our 'hood. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

From the moment you walk through the main doors you know this is no run of the mill hotel. All the staff were great and very helpful. The room was clean and modern with free sat on a 40inch tv, best shower I have ever been in, free wifi in the room,ect,ect.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Well we think it's TOP that you left us some top comments! Thank you for taking the time to review. Hope to have you in the house again soon!