“Vibey and friendly”

Ranked #105 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Kruger National Park, South Africa
“Vibey and friendly”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed at Hoxton Hotel twice now as we love the top notch friendly efficient service and the vibey feel in the evenings where all ages congregate for drinks. Our room was on the second floor and overlooked the central eating courtyard, it was absolutely no hassle for the staff to move us very efficiently to another room higher up the next day. The provisions for breakfast are always fresh and very quietly hung outside each room. I also loved the large bars of Pears soap provided in the bathroom, and the endless supply of books in the passages and rooms.The rooms do vary in size , so if you were to find yours too small they will happily always try to accommodate you. We ate at the in house restaurant and found the food and service excellent, albeit a dash bit noisy with the throngs of people in the bar area on a Saturday night. It is a bit of a walk from Old Street underground Station, but if I were overloaded with luggage I would take a taxi which the front desk staff instantly arrange. As per the air-conditioning comment I find that the majority of hotels in UK and Europe run them on the key card and way too hot for most of us. I would definitely stay here time and time again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
We're all about the vibes! Great to hear you've enjoyed your last two stays with us and dig the rooms and the brekkie bag drop. Hope to see you again soon, we'd defo have you anytime.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Staff in this hotel all seem to love working there. They are so welcoming to their guests and make sure they are relaxed and well served. They could not do more for me and always with a smile.
After booking, I was a little apprehensive it might be a bit trendy for me, located as it is in Shoreditch, but I was completely relaxed and comfortable.
The lobby, bar and restaurant all sort of merge into one while still being distinct areas creating a chilled buzz if that makes sense.
I liked the room I had too, looking out over the back of the hotel. There was just something about it that suggested to me a bit more thought had gone into making the best use of the space. I especially appreciated the shelf full of books - I would defy any reader not to find a book on that shelf that they could pick up and read, such was the ecclectic mix.
The bed was provided for a good night's sleep and the shower was spacious with both rainshower and hand held options.
One other thing I particularly liked was the brown bag breakfast which was included in the room rate - hang an empty bag outside your room, ticking which time-window you want it delivered and when you get up the next morning it will be filled with a small bottle of orange juice, a banana and a yoghurt with fruit (or fruit compote) and granola. You can also choose to have a full breakfast in the restaurant at cost.

This is not located in the central London most tourists know, but please do not let that hold you back. This area has a great vibe to it and you are only a short walk to nearby tube stations which will take you wherever you want to go.

Room Tip: I loved my rear facing view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hox_Team, Hox_Team at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
We think it's fantastic, that you think we are fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to write lovely words about us, we do like to think of the team as one big family and we certainly work hard AND play hard!

Hope to have you in the house again soon for more vibes ;-)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for the night at the Hoxton. The receptionist was friendly and welcoming. The check in process was smooth and easy, where we were given a nice room on the fifth floor so there's no noise coming from downstairs. The hotel and room decor is quite hipster-suave with a fun twist. The room size is very clean and bright and its size is big enough for a couple by London standards. They also include free bottles of water and milk along with coffee/tea. They also provide free small bags containing light breakfast including Greek yoghurt with oats and berries, banana, and orange juice. For a bigger breakfast, they have the Hoxton grill restaurant. For the price, I highly recommend it since it's a bargain in London.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights last week. I had stayed the week before at a hotel in Paddington station, and coming to this hotel was jarring, to say the least.

First off, by this time, I had become best friends with the London Underground. So, of course, I thought nothing of lugging my gigantic suitcase and rolling laptop bag onto the tube to head toward checking in at the hotel. Well, don't do that. The closest station to the Hoxton Hotel is Old Street, and there is no escalator for part of the station and absolutely no elevator. This woman took pity on me and helped me carry my suitcase up a long flight of stairs. She said, don't worry, there's an escalator on this platform. The escalator took me the rest of the way up to the street level. From there, it was an OK/pretty easy walk to the hotel.

The air conditioning in the lobby was sorely lacking. It was so hot outside, and it was so hot inside.

I basically fell into my room. My hot room. Turns out you have to have the key put into this thingy in order for the air conditioning to turn on. So the air conditioning was not on until I got in there. Two hours later, I'm still sweating and don't have the energy to sight-see. Plus, the air conditioner was very ineffective. I had it all the way up, but it never got very cool in the room. I asked them if they could do anything. They said no and suggested I open my windows. Bleh.

Also, the rooms are so small that my large suitcase had nowhere to go. I tripped on it constantly. Oh, and the pillows should be called sheets with a speck of padding.

I'm trying to think of good things to say. They have a cute breakfast thing where they give you an orange juice, banana and small thing of yogurt every morning. They hang it outside your door at the time you request.

Their choice of TV stations was really good. Normally I wouldn't know this because I would be out sightseeing constantly, but that first day I just couldn't move.

OK, another good thing. Their Wifi worked really well, and it remembered me. I didn't have to keep signing in.

Here's a shoutout to Carla, who works at the reception desk. My charger cord died, and as it was in the evening, there was nowhere to buy a new one. When I was asking about where to get one the next morning, she says to me, do you want me to charge it for you? I almost hugged her. So nice of her to offer something so sweet. She also pointed me toward where I could buy one the next day.

Basically, if you're the hipster type with little luggage and don't need an escalator or elevator in the tube station or you plan to take a taxi or something, you might like this place. But it wasn't for me.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Olivia99
Ben S, Operations Director at The Hoxton, Shoreditch, responded to this review, 3 December 2014
Hi Olivia99,

Thanks for your review,

I would love to speak to you about your experience with us in more details, please drop me a line at benjamin@thehox.com.

Look forward to hearing from you

Ben
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My sister and I stayed last weekend (25th/26th July) and couldn't have been more impressed by every aspect of our stay. From the moment we entered the hotel all members of staff were helpful and friendly. We had a drink whilst waiting for our room and the waitress was very kind and found us an accessible table for my sister who uses a wheelchair. Once the room was ready our bags were taken to our room for us. The room was perfect, as well as being clean and super stylish, it was big enough for us to move a wheelchair around comfortably. The bathroom matched the room too! On the Friday evening we ate in the restaurant, again I was so impressed by how accommodating the staff were. When we were shown to the table the chair had already been removed to allow my sister to use her wheelchair, probably without realising this made for a super start to our meal!!! We did ask to change tables and this was not a problem also! We continued to enjoy our stay, the air con, light breakfast and left luggage facilities were perfect!!! Over all I couldn't recommend the hotel and restaurant higher! Thanks to all staff, we will definitely come back!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Essex
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here for one night with my wife and a couple of friends. It was buzzing when we arrived in the early evening, but with a very relaxed atmosphere - like no other hotel reception I had ever been in. But despite the people and the buzz the staff got us checked in quickly and efficiently with a smile too.

The overall attitude of the staff during the stay, from front desk to bar to housekeeping was one of "how can I help?" but with a genuine sense that they meant it unlike staff in lots of other hotels.

The décor of the hotel is funky and slightly crazy fun - walk out of a lift to find an old record player just sitting there, or school seats dotted around, but each room (we compared) had slightly differences (like different throw cushions on the bed) and random books on shelves that made the whole thing feel bespoke. I can imagine some people who like regimented hotels would find The Hoxton a nightmare but it's quirkiness made us love it even more.

We were also impressed that they dealt with the small touches, free WiFi instead of trying to sting you with an extra charge, and fresh milk in the room fridge for your tea is a wonderful touch. Other Hotels could learn a lot from The Hoxton.

Despite the rooms being on the small side they are planned well and in a way that makes them feel bigger, with large showers and extra towels and pillows already in the room. The Aircon unit being round the corner from the bed meant the room was chilled but not freezing when in bed. Little touches like these show immense thought on the part of the Hotel.

Breakfast in a bag is a wonderful idea and just what you want if cooked breakfasts are not really your thing.

Overall the service we experienced was superb, the hotel was fresh and fun and the prices we paid made the whole stay value for money.

We WILL return to The Hoxton!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dubai
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed for 1 night ..could have stayed for a week ..service and atmosphere was fantastic ..wouldn't stay anywhere else in London ..Hoxton Grill full English was lovely ..and loved the quirky free breakfast in a brown paper bag !

• Stayed July 2014