“Great location and great value”
Review of St. Athans Hotel

St. Athans Hotel
Ranked #33 of 573 London B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My father and I stayed at the St. Athans for 6 nights. We each had single rooms with a bathroom just down the hall. The rooms and the hotel were spotless, the staff friendly, and the breakfast hot and delicious. You can't beat the price for the lovely neighbourhood, in walking distance to Covent Garden and Leicester Square. There are great cafes, pubs and restaurants just around the corner on Marchmont Road, as well as an excellent cinema. I would definitely stay at this gem again!

Room Tip: If you're not very mobile, the rooms at the top of the hotel are a steep climb...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CDNTravelLover

Reviewed 17 July 2011

After reading mixed reviews, we booked for 3 nights in St. Athans for our stay, based mainly in their central location and affordable price.
Although the rooms are no luxury (ours was relatively small), the breakfast is quite good and the staff is very helpful for any inconvenience that may arise. Shared bathrooms were clean and tidy.
All in all, if you are searching for a budget accommodation within central London, this hotel is a good option to be considered.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2011

despite the mixed reviews, we booked for a 2night stay. we were only here to see bits of london and weren't planning to stay in the hotel except to sleep.

we originally wanted to get 2 rooms with ensuite as my husband and i were travelling with another young couple and a friend. however, we were told that only the 5person-accommodation was available. that was fine with us; the room was small but manageable (bunk bed, double bed and a single bed). we didn't get the ensuite but there was a sink in the room with several washrooms just around the corner.

anyhow, the location of the hotel is excellent and near the king's cross/st pancras station. plus: the full 'english breakfast' included in the cost was pretty good; wait-staff were friendly and quick.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We were late with booking a room, so we had to settle for a room with shared bathroom. The room was basic, but very clean. The shared bathroom was also clean. English breakfast, which was included in the price, was tasty and big enough to set you off for a nice start of a day. When it comes to locstion, the hotel is 5 min away from Russel Sq tube station and very close to the British Museum.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Well , this is my forth trip to UK and I usually stays in London around Russell square.
Unfortunately, my stay in St Athans marked my worst experience of all UK B&B.
For my family of four, we have a very crowded room with smelly old everything. En-suite toilet and shower is a small space cut off from corner of the room. A small piece of soap is all that we have ( no shower gel and shampoo, not to mention baby lotion that I can found in other B&B in UK). Voice from outside can be heard so clearly ( man and car) despite all window closed and curtains drawn at night. I woke up every hour. There is no tea or coffee in room.....
The morning before I left London( 26 June), I wake up around 7 am and went to the only sitting/common/internet room of St Athans for internet access and found a staff sleeping on the sofa with snoring. I waited for 10 minutes outside in the corridor hoping he will noticed and wake up but he did not. I finally entered the room and worked with my computer for over another 10 minutes until the man wake up and left the sitting room with no apology. Sitting room should to reserve for guest use and not as the sleep area of staffs!

I left with a lot of dis-appointment.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank onemanbang
Stefangeyer, Owner at St. Athans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

I'm sorry that you and your family didn't enjoy your stay with us. We go to great lengths to make it clear in our advertising that our place is a simple no frills hotel where the rooms can sometimes be small and we don't supply baby lotion- hence our reasonable rates for central London. We do however pride ourselves on our clean rooms and hospitable service, so appreciate your comments on these.

Reviewed 12 June 2011

The location is great and the price, very convenient for London standards. Good breakfast and clean sheets. However, the toilet was not clean, the handwash basin had a big hole instead of a strainer (which could cause the loss of any object dropped accidentally) and the carpet in the bathroom was a bit dirty too.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I stayed here last night after I'd been to a concert in Camden. The location was ideal, being only a few tube stops away.

As I'd travelled alone, I had a single room which was small, but clean and tidy. It had a sink, but the toilet and shower were a short walk down the corridor. You can purchase an en-suite room for a few pounds more, I believe.

But for £44 a night (even without your own telly, although there is a lounge downstairs with TV and internet), you get what you pay for. And when you include a decent breakfast into the price, that's a good deal by London standards.

The bed was comfortable and I would've got a decent night's sleep had it not been for some inconsiderate noisy idiots who came up the stairs just as it was starting to get light.

Overall, I would definitely consider staying here again for a night or two. I couldn't complain about the facilities, the hotel was clean and the staff were welcoming and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room when booking.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo