“Good hotel convenient location”

Belgrave Hotel London
Ranked #155 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night, had a flight from Gatwick so was staying at Gatwick next night so decided to have a night in London prior to that, we chose this hotel as it was well placed for the A23 to get out towards Gatwick, and also was easily within walk of tube station within zone 2.

Hotel and room was nice enough, skipped breakfast but sure it would have been fine, and staff were friendly.

Recommended.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Ended up here as last hotel with any rooms at a reasonable price. Rooms are clean but small. Was not impressed when another guest had to let me through the locked front door as it was too much work for the girl on reception to press the button to release the door lock! On the first morning I found the shaver point in the bathroom was not working and reported it to the night porter as I left for work unshaven. On my return in the evening, still unshaven, I found the point still not working. A second complaint at reception found a man knocking on my door to fit said point. He oon decided that it was a loose connection on the broken point and then calmly told me that there was a second point in my room - IN THE SAFE???? He was correct , there is one inside the safe attached to the door - now who would think of looking there???

Breakfast was a dire affair - it is held in the basement and the appetising (or not) offering consists of a choice of cereal, croissant, orange juice, boiled or scrambled egg, ten, coffee, and toast with a mixture of spreads. If you want a decent breakfast, try the cafe across the road. When are bristish hoteliers actually going to visit a continental hotel (and not just in France) and experience a proper continental breakfast - it is actually far more substantial than a full english breakfast!

Not an establishment I would voluntarily visit again and I know genuine three star hotels which are far better. More like two stars would be an honest rating.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank KeithParker1949
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed for one night and chose this hotel because of its location and price. Really good public transport links into central London by tube and, especially, by bus.
Small clean room, helpful staff and a basic breakfast all at a good price (for London). Next time we visit London and want to stay in the same area, we will definately return to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2013

OK, so it's not a true 4 star hotel, but in the Tripadvisor world, this is definitely worth 3.5 stars in terms of true value for money. I paid £95 for B&B (didn't stay for breakfast though) and have no complaints. It's close to Oval station, the room and bathroom were clean and well appointed and they loaned me an iron for the evening (boards are in the room), so I couldn't really ask for more. The downside is that's it's on a busy main road into the heart of the city, so the traffic noise begins at 6am, but that wasn't a major issue for me, but if you are a toursit and wanting a lie in, not ideal. I woul stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I'm not sure why this was listed as a four star hotel because it's clearly not and this needs to be made clear. Positives for the hotel are its location (two minutes walk to the Underground) and that if you call ahead and reserve parking you get a secure place to leave your car (£15/day). However, their on-site parking is for only three cars and when I arrived the manager's car was parked in the entrance. When I reserved a space a couple of days earlier I had explicitly asked if I could arrive in the morning and park my car before heading into London and checking in later that night and was told "yes". So I was deeply upset to find myself leaving the car in the entrance and the key with reception so it could be parked when the manager returned later in the day. Thankfully fears of the car being stolen / damaged or the contents stolen were unfounded but one does fear the worst! After checking in later that night the room was small and while clean, the fixtures were old and tired and the shower unit was falling apart. Good powerful hot water in shower though. The hotel is close to the Heathrow airport incoming flight path so every 20 seconds you can hear a plane go by. You can also feel the underground which goes under the other side of the street. Nevertheless, it was the extremely soft, un-supportive mattress that resulted in a poor night's sleep. The so called continental breakfast in the morning consisted of coffee, orange juice, boiled eggs, toast and cereal. As we entered the room the few guests that where there jumped up and grabbed what little was left. Furniture was all cheap plastic. Quite embarrassing really so we went out for a proper breakfast in London. I had a great stay in London but the hotel was not a part of that. I will not be returning and I would not recommend staying here unless you're looking for something more akin to a hostel - in which case maybe this is perfect.

Room Tip: Double rooms at the rear of the hotel don't get street noise BUT this hotel is on the Heathrow f...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The first point is that this “hotel” is not rated by the “Visit England Association” as a hotel but in the much lower standard “guest accommodation” category, so the required standards to gain four stars are well down from the hotel category. I find this confusing when the establishment has hotel in the name.
However, the location of the hotel suited me as I was going to be in the area. The Oval underground station is very close, so quite convenient for getting into London but I am sure there are better options if you are going into town every day.
I was driving and I noted on the web site that there was a car park nearby; it did say that they could arrange it for you but as I was going to be there at the weekend I did not ask. When I got to the hotel they said the car park was full and pointed out on their brochure it said that you had to pre-book. So I had to park around the corner and lug my bags from there.
I booked a double room and I am glad I did, as even then it was fairly small but more than adequate for one person.
The staff were very friendly but were unable to give me change for the parking fee or able to give me any advice as to where was the best place to park as their car park was full; it can only park two or three cars.
I do not think I would return unless there was no other option.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back, not on the road to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

An OK hotel, clean enough, but a little shabby in places. Location was convenient for us, but there are better located hotels for central London. Seemed expensive for what it was, but probably the going rate for London. I doubt we will use this hotel again. There are definitely better options.

• Stayed: September 2013