The Grainstore Apartments
US$302
US$276
Hilton
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$199
  • Restaurant
Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo(London)(Great Value!)
US$264
Doubletree
US$242
Rubens Hotel
  • Restaurant
London House Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$131
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$169
US$479
Agoda.com
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Like other reviewers it took me a little while to find the Apartments as it's not a full hotel with reception and what have you. The staff once I located them were helpful and the room perfectly reasonable for a 3/4 star property, nicely appointed and comfortable.

There are a couple of reasonable looking restaurants and bars nearby for a quick meal but it's not central London with the hustle and bustle - depending on what you're after this might well be perfect.

A taxi ride to the airport in the morning was quick and cheap, DLR also convenient though would have taken longer hence took the taxi.

Overall I'd say if you have business at the ExCeL Centre or (as I did) an earlyish flight out of LCY it's pretty reasonable, otherwise I dare say you'd find nicer spots, but probably not as cheap.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We booked this stay on line and the web site states arrival between 2 and 5. We organised to arrive at 4. Finding the place was really difficult with no real signs and a scruffy office.

When we arrived we were told that the lady who needed to check us in had left and there was no one to do it (bear in mind this was at 4pm and their site was clear about before 5). A guy from another company who shares the office was amazingly helpful and phoned them. I heard the lady on the phone being very critical of trying to get hold of us. She tried twice 30 mins before and we were on the tube and she left no message

This guy then checked us in and had real problems taking us to the appartment which was a real maze.

If this guy had not been there when we arrived we would have been stuck for the night. We tried to call them on both numbers we'd been given and could not make contact so we would not have been able to get in.

Once there, the appartment was clean and comfortable but the service and attitude was the worst I had ever experianced.

Apparantly, the lady who was supposed to check us in fancied an early night (we were told later) and as a result almost left us in London with no where to stay.

In summary:
- nice appartment
- very difficult to find
- appalling service
- no out of office hours contact ability if there is a problem

I would avoid at all costs

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank StevieNewbury
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed at the Grainstore when I attended a recent conference and exhibition at the ExCel Centre. The rates offered were far more competitive than the nearby hotels and I appreciated the flexibility of having my own lounge and kitchen. As other reviewers have indicated the reception/arrival experience was poor but keep in mind that this is not a hotel with a full compliment of front of house personnel.

Once in my apartment, I was quite happy. The one bedroom ground floor flat was accessible via a lift (down two levels) and I overlooked an interior courtyard. The furnishings are contemporary and comfortable and the apartment was clean - with the exception of a rogue spider-web in one corner! Tea, coffee, sugar (but not milk) were all provided and although I didn't cook, if I had wanted to the kitchen had every utensil I would possibly need.

Bathroom fittings were as you'd find in a 3/4 star hotel and a good quality hair dryer was also provided.

Due to the location I wouldn't recommend these apartments as a base to explore central London, but I would definitely stay here again if I needed to attend an event at ExCel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SP2202
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I booked the Grainstore Apartments as I was on a business trip and thought the extra space and independence would be ideal.

The taxi driver couldn't find the apartments, I couldn't find an entrance, and was left in a scruffy office for ages until someone eventually came, gave me an envelope with one sheet of paper and the key then pointed to the lift. My apartment was down a long dark corridor, which smelled very musty, and one door had been smashed open and had been padlocked. Not very reassuring when you are a woman travelling alone!

The apartment was grubby, and had filthy stained pillows in the cupboard. Walls marked, carpets stained, bathroom plughole had hairs in it, and there was a smell of cigarette smoke.

There were no instructions for any of the appliances in the kitchen, nor for the TV.

I tried to access the internet, following the instructions, only to discover there is no service in this apartment. This was a complete disaster for me, as I had overseas business calls to make in the evenings. There was no-one around apart from some chap reading a book at a desk in the lobby who said he was just the relief guy, but he would pass the message on. I never did get internet for the whole 5 days I was there, and no-one came back to me about it. The TV didn't work properly.

There was a party one night in the apartment opposite. It must have gone on until about 4am and the noise and language was appalling. I kept the curtains closed in the apartment as frankly, I didn't feel safe there.
I complained about the noise next day, and the same guy on the desk promptly handed me a photocopied letter with details of how to complain to the local authority! so they must be used to noise complaints, I imagine.
Since complaining formally to Grainstore management, I have since found out that many of the apartments are privately owned. The manager tried to say that there is wifi in the apartment, and has ignored my other points.
I stay all over the world with my job. I do sometimes get a disappointing hotel, but I can overlook some glitches. This place however is dreadful, overpriced, and how they have the audacity to say they are 4* luxury beats me. I've stayed in better 2 star places.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Causette1
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Although the apartment was of a very high stsndard the customer service is appalling. This place is difficult to find, it claims no parking on the internet so we booked to park at London City Airport only to find a multi story a stones throw away for a third of the airport price on arrival. After finally gaining entry the reception area is not staffed. I eventually traced "a voice" to a room and thought I would just knock and find out how you get the key to your room. This turned out to be the apartment manager who took ages to answer the door. When we finally got the key to our flat we discovered it only had one bedroom when we had booked for two and had written confirmation of this. We were simply told my mother would have to sleep on the sofa as there were no spare apartments. After a four hour drive down from Leeds this is really not the service we expected. However, the apartment was of a good size, very clean and well furnished. The balaconies are furnished with outdoor furniture and overlook a pleasant courtyard. Sineage in and out of the building is distinctly lacking, if you are not on the main floor it is even difficult to find the lift or your way around the building to actually get out. Very frustrating when all it would take is a couple of signs. Although the overland tube link is quite far out of London the excel station for the DLR is very convenient and you are soon in the centre but it can be quite tiring getting back out to the exel area after a long day in town. All in all the apartment was great, customer service very poor and location ok if you are not too worried about getting about. It is a shame they are so badly managed as the apartments themselves are lovely.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family