“Not exactly 'world renowned'”

Alfies Antiques Market
Ranked #505 of 1,611 things to do in London
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Not exactly 'world renowned'”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

I was really excited to find out about this place, neither me nor my wife had heard of it. We took some time to find it and when we did, well... It's rather ordinary, smelly (urine) and full of over priced tat. Some of the stall holders are friendly, some just odd! The café is shabby, nothing special at all and the staff unfriendly although they do make a lovely coffee. It's not particularly wheelchair accessible either. I'm glad we've been and and seen it, but for me, you're better off going to Portobello Road.

4 Thank Millervanilla

Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Alfies afternoon...”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I álways visits Aflies on every visit to London. You walk through an area with small shops mainly owned by arabs, passing an streetmarket with vegetables, fruit and so on, and at the end of the street you have Alfies. A big indoor antique market, both exclusive antiques and collectables. Me myself will recommend Dodis, a little shop whit old posters and tins! I have bought several fine tins from Huntley and Palmers there!!!!

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Bengt K
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“My go-to hidden gem”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

As some reviewers have attested, not all the stalls in Alfie's are selling bargains or uniformly sensational products. But firstly, you don't come here for the cheapness; secondly, a lot of the stuff is still pretty fascinating to behold; and thirdly, if you want bargain furniture go to DFS.

You're missing the point - this is a great destination off the beaten track with eccentric charm, a major factor of surprise, and an authenticity to everything about it.

I have to confess that I never go to buy, and I know little about the contents from an evaluative perspective. I go there for the immersive weirdness of the place, and the look on the face of a person when you take them there for the first time. Through the art deco and later-20th century cabinets, chandeliers, lamps, card tables, dressers, statuettes, and obscure pieces of art, past the jewellers and vintage posters, via the light, airy, open metal staircase which sits over a large indoor fish pond... it's different, it's a delight, and it's delightfully different.

Upstairs on the rooftop, the cafe serves a fairly basic menu but does so competently and I never go to Alfie's without going there. It's the logical conclusion of your mazy ascent, and it's something I look forward to every time.

I don't know how to put it any other way - I bloody love this place.

Visited June 2013
11 Thank Tony M
Faulconbridge, New South Wales, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Dreadful tat!”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I'm sorry we wasted the time to trek out there to Marylebone. Most of the stalls were unattended. The cafe was pretty ordinary. I suppose we were looking for a Bargain Hunt experience. It isn't there. Don't bother!

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Wattleberry37
Hong Kong
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good adventure”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I have visited two antique markets in the downtown London; and I loved this one. A pretty wide variety of shops and it is worth to spend half day there....

Visited February 2013