“Great location, and helpful staff”
Review of Wardonia Hotel

Wardonia Hotel
Ranked #532 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, and helpful staff”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel form 7th to 13th May 2012. I was very please with the service I received. The reception staffs were extremely accommodating and helpful.
The room was a little on the small side, but the room was very comfortable and clean.
I will definitely stay here again as the location is spot on, It is close to the west end and good links to the city.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Monica303

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Tirana, Albania
Reviewed 5 May 2012

i staid at wardonia hotel before, i was pleasantly surprised on my return, rooms looked much better this time tea/coffee in the room, the bathroom it is a little bit on the small side but never the less, lots of hot water and good pressure and it's spotlessly clean, the staff at wardonia hotel are vary friendly and vary helpful, i have already booked my next stay,

Room Tip: room 215 is an excellent room for me it faces the street but it is a nice little room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Loku77
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

The hotel has really good location and rooms ale clean.It's budget hotel so I wasn't expecting red carpets and room service but basic standard will be enough.Unfortunetelly upon arrival I already realise that in this place rudeness and disrespect are common,Receptionist-(Asim or Azeem) ask me where I'm from and I answer politely.When I asked him back he took it as a offence.Not only never answer but asked me to hold back since he have important documents.I'm 170 cm toll and could'n see nothing accept him.Then he told friend of mine to move to the corner .When i asked him to speak with supervisor he told me that he is the one.As I expect he gave us room in the basement.Never,ever in my life will be close to this place.If there is any management of this place and reading this review,for your own good please watch closely what your staff doing.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We've stayed here in March. Had a very good sleep. Nice and quite. Very pleasant staff. Excellent value. Free Wi-Fi. Room was clean, towels were changed every day. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex B
Helsinki
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at the Wardonia for 4 nights last March, this was my 3rd time here. Before you book, please go to their website so that you can see what they're offering - clean, basic accomodation at reasonable prices. No breakfast. The beds were quite comfy and the shower has good power.
As many of the reviewers have stated, the rooms are very small ( you really couldn't swing the proverbial cat in their single rooms) and the rooms are very sparsely furnished. A couple of hangers, a nightstand, a small rack underneath the telly, no breakfast but I
understand they have complimentary tea/coffee now.

There is free wifi, very fast, I found it a life saver while staying in London.
The stairs are narrow but you can request a ground floor room - I have found that they are very accomodating if you make a request when booking.

The most important tip - if you are travelling solo please please book a double room! Of course it costs a bit more but the beds are about 120cm wide and the beds are high enough for you to store your luggage under the bed. If you are a couple and don't plan on staying for more than a couple of nights you might want to book a triple room, more space and bigger bathrooms.

Overall, the Wardonia is a very reasonable place for a short stay, I enjoyed my 4 night stay, reasonably quiet stay in the Kings Cross/St Pancras area with Eurostar and Heathrow connections and 6 tube lines and several bus routes around the central London.

Whenever I come to London on my own I always choose The Wardonia, for the cleanliness (clean towels every day, cleaned the en suite every day, clean sheets) pleasant reception staff 24/7 and the unbeatable location - quiter than most of the b'n'b's around Argyle Sq.

The only reason I don't rate this place as 5 is that the walls are a bit thin so there might be some noise from the other rooms.

Room Tip: If you reserve a few weeks before, you can request for a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Signe_7
Boston
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I have stayed at Wardonia a couple of times and it has been very good at time and sometimes just ok. My last stay was in September with a friend, and the room they gave us was in the basement and very small. They seemed to have raised their prices a bit also. The staff is very helpful, and the location is perfect. You can reach anywhere in the UK from Kings cross station, and if you party in piccadily you can walk back to hotel or take the late night bus. The walk to central from the hotel is about 15, or a couple of stops on the tube. I would stay here if you are just using the hotel as a base to explore London, but not if you plan on spending real time in your room. As an added plus, there a little outdoor workout area in the park across the street and a basketball court.

Room Tip: try not to stay in the basement
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

When I first checked into my single room in the basement, I was quite pleased after reading all the comments about the small size. I thought it was big enough for one person and it was spotlessly clean. The staff were really helpful and nice, too.

Unfortunately, the problem for me was noise. The walls seem extremely thin. I checked in on a Wednesday afternoon at 2pm and unpacked. Above me, a group of loud Americans were laughing and shouting and slamming doors and slamming drawers. I didn't think much of it as it was afternoon. I went out for an evening with friends and returned at about 12.30am. Amazingly, the Americans (with their clearly audible accents) were still shouting and laughing and slamming. This went on until about 3am. I dozed off for a bit until the next slamming session, which went on for at least another hour. Then I heard two men, clearly drunk, outside my door laughing and shouting. They were trying desperately to get their key into their door, but unfortunately, they put their key into MY door and started banging the door and commenting on how it was stuck. They finally figured it out, laughed hysterically against my door, went inside, and sang football songs. This was 5am. The singing went on until 6am. At the same time, above me, the Americans began their slamming again. It was clearly a family, as the mother began scoldiing a child, who then threw a tantrum, so in return she began shrieking at the top of her lungs for the child to "shut up." Delightful. I think I finally got to sleep at 9am. My alarm woke me up at 9.30. Fantastic.

Now, you're perhaps wondering why I didn't wear ear plugs. Well, I did. All this noise was so loud it went right through. You may also wonder why I didn't turn on the television to mask the noise. Well, this is because the television in the basement (room 2, to be exact) had no reception and was apparently not connected to an aerial. Wonderful.

If you're one of those lucky people who can sleep through anything, give it a go. I'm not a person who is able to sleep through shouting and slamming, unfortunately. However, bear in mind that for £55 for any single room in London is astonishing and it does have a lot going for it. It was clean, the water pressure was fantastic, they provided a kettle, tea, milk, coffee, and the towels and bedding were fresh. Maybe I just had exceptionally bad luck, but I can't face another stay to find out. Too bad. It had a lot going for it. The walls are just too thin and the people in the other rooms were just too rude. I have to rate it two stars because of the lack of sleep and insufficient sound quality.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the basement rooms if you can help it. Wear ear plugs.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo