“The worst night sleep I have ever had”
Review of Wardonia Hotel

Wardonia Hotel
Ranked #539 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Edmonton, Canada
“The worst night sleep I have ever had”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel on our way home after two weeks in England and France. It was small, but clean and the stay would have been perfectly acceptable except for the fact that my husband and I got no sleep. I confess, I am a light sleeper but my husband is not. We were given the room under the office and every sound could be heard!!! The night clerk did try hard to limit the noise he made after I asked if we could change rooms; the hotel was full. I think we got about four hours of sleep. After such a terrible night sleep we were not even given a discount as apparently no one had complained before. So, feel free to stay here, but don't take the room under the office if you want any sleep!

Room Tip: Do not take the room at the bottom of the stairs, under the office! No sound proofing at all.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy_Schmidt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I'm a regular visitor to the Wardonia it's great value, spotlessly clean and the staff are friendly. Ground floor and below ground I've experienced noisy pigeons. They sit on the window cills and coo loudly - a problem when you're trying to sleep. Catch the pigeon!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel has recently been revamped. The designer deserves a medal. Ours, and the other rooms measure 2m x 4m.In that incredible small space there is an en suite bathroom. The shower is brand new and works perfectly, the wash basin is the smallest I have ever seen, but so what ? It worked fine. Toilet ok. The room has no wardrobe but a convenient area to hang your clothes. It has a TV, a kettle with coffee & tea. The double bed is 3/4 size. our room, and the whole hotel has a hardwood surface up to waist high. Not pretty, but dark wood and very practical. No marks show. Expensive to fit, but how clever.
Being so economic on space, we could hear any comings/goings from neighbours. The hotel carpets look new. Cleaners excluded, there is just a receptionist. And a pleasant one.
My wife and I booked the room through Laterooms.com for an overnight business stay in London.
The no frills hotel was very satisfactory for our purpose, and very convenient for St Pancras/Kings Cross

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I got a large single (probably a small double as well) for £40 and I have to say it was ideal, the shower alone made it a great choice. 1st of all a great location, minutes from kings cross and St Pancreas, in the morning I was able to look out the window to see the time from the St Pancreas clock. I slept all night with the very large window open and was hardly disturbed by any noise, I certainly did not hear any noise from within the hotel. Spotlessly clean, bed was very comfortable and bedding fresh, loved that there were 4 pillows on a 3/4 bed with a choice 2 soft and 2 firm.

I hope the management appreciate their housekeeping staff, the very small ensuite bathroom was spotless, tiles and glass shower doors were spotless, no smears or stains, which must be very difficult and hard work to maintain in such a confined space. The shower was fantastic, great pressure which was much appreciated by my poor bones after walking for miles in London. Usual provisions, coffee, sugar, tea UTH milk cartons, hairdryer, lux shampoo/shower gel and hand wash.

They do not do breakfast, but there are loads of places nearby; especially in the train stations, so as long as I was able to have a cup of coffee before going out for breakfast this was no real hardship and obviously keeps the costs down.

Overall for what I paid I was very impressed and would not hesitate to stay again. The reception staff were also very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This place is typical of the hotels in the area. Gentrified in recent years, these street are host to many crash-pad style places that give you a bed and roof over your head. The best thing about the Wardonia was that it was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the shower was good. Beyond that, for this price range, you can't expect much more. If you do want more, in London, you really have to be prepared to pay for it. The location is really good, right next to King's Cross and St Pancras stations. Walking distance to British Museum, eastern end of Oxford Street, Covent Garden. One tube stop to Camden Town. A nice old building on the outside, very functional on the inside - it's all about basic comforts and location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Finefox88
Kingston-upon-hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I've stayed at the Wardonia Hotel twice and think it's great for the location. Price good for Central London for what you get. So convenient for Kings Cross and St Pancras stations, and only a few minutes' walk for Euston as well. British Museum 10 minutes' walk. Staff friendly and helpful. Luggage room really useful as we knew we would arrive in the morning and also want to leave our stuff for a day on departure. Free Wi-Fi good. Room was tidy. Bathroom clean. Shower very good. Great budget pick. Very quiet area as well - pleasant to walk around and to walk in to Central London from.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 30 April 2014

First I would like to point out a few basic things about hotels around King's. Cross, Argyle Street:

1) The buildings are historially listed, meaning they cannot be fitted with lifts, you have to lug your luggage several flights of stairs.
2) The rooms are small as the listed houses have been devided into small rooms.
3) It is quite difficult to find a room with an en-suite at a bargain price.

I have stayed in several b&b's around Argyle Street for the past dozen years and the crucial question has always been whether I want a breakfast or not. Unfortunately, my husband prefers the full English, so only whenever I'm travelling alone I will go to the Wardonia because they don't offer breakfast, just a room and the en suite. Suits me fine.

I was travelling with my mom and sister, so I had a look of their twin room as well my own room, theirs was quite roomy, mine was very lovely, had a 120cm bed, plenty of space when I stowed my luggage underneath my bed (enough room for most bags) , the shower was powerful and hot water was instant, no need to wait for five minutes to have a decent shower.

There was a kettle, and a mug, tea and instant coffee. What really surprised me was that unlike a couple of years ago when I stayed at Wardonia there were actually four ( yes, 4) plug-ins for one person. Mom and Sis also had enough plugs for their needs, so that's' an improvement.

You might think that a hotel so close to King's Cross and Euston Road would have severe noise issues, in fact, although I and Mom and Sis had rooms towards the main roads none of us were disturbed at night.

Our rooms were spotlessly clean and had fresh towels and sheets throughout our stay.

Now about the service - I really can not praise the staff enough.

First thing when I arrived at the Wardonia I found out I had managed to lock my mobile. The lovely chap at he reception offered to call my mom, the only person whose phone number I knew. Eventually I got hold of her and after that was able to connect to the web (free of charge throughout the hotel) .

The very morning we were meant to leave my sister had a severe attac of migraine and needed to have a lie-down, again the lovely chap at the reception managed to find a single room for her to lay down for a couple of hours.
Also, I had lost one of my rings after I vacated my room, the cleaner immediately brought it to the room where we were taking care of my sister so I really cannot thank her enough.

All in all, we managed to make so many silly mistakes during our stay at the Wardonia and every single one of them was sorted out with effiency, courtesy and always with a cheery smile.

The rooms were clean, pristine, new pillows, new carpets, comfy beds and a kettle, tea, coffee and a hairdryer. With rooms like these and the outstanding service, I wouldn't want to stay in any of the other b&b's in Argyle Square.

A big thank you!