“Perfect location, and a hotel that keeps improving...”
Review of Wardonia Hotel

Wardonia Hotel
Ranked #582 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have received private messages on Tripadvisor from people who wish to stay in good quality, budget accommodation in the Kings Cross area, and have noticed that I have reviewed many hotels in the area. If you read through you will see some of my preferences, but I have just stayed at the Wardonia on Argyle St again and feel it deserves an updated review based on changes they have made.

As I note in my previous review, this is very well situated for the British Library, Eurostar, and is within spitting distance of Kings Cross, Euston and St Pancras. Your enjoyment of the Wardonia is dependent on one important factor related to budget hotels: do you prefer en suite or a breakfast? In the £40-80 price range you are often having to choose one over the other, as many hotels in the area only have shared bathrooms. I do not like this and prefer the Wardonia because it is en-suite. However, it does not have breakfast, which is fine by me. Most hotels in the area serve a most awful breakfast and it makes more sense to get out and try the many great cafes in the area.

More importantly, The Wardonia have refurbished the rooms, providing excellent bedding, two fully puffed pillows (you would be surprised by how rare this is) and a really comfortable and satisfying shower. Massive water pressure and plenty of room for such a small room, make this a real treat.

I will sign off by saying that the desk staff are much more friendly than they used to be, which maybe signifies that they have new ownership. This is a no-frills, budget hotel in a prime location, and which is comfortable and friendly. A rare thing indeed.

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor in a single room, 309 to be precise, and can recommend it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank SeamusBeoirgra
Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Checking in was easy and quick. I was on 3rd floor there's no lifts. My room was perfect for me, it was clean, had a tv, hair dryer, tea coffee facilities and an ensuite shower room.
It's literally 2 mins walk from Kings Cross which was ideal.
Overall I would book here again, I booked for £40 a night which is so cheap for London but I got a great budget hotel. Thanks

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kikadez
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We actually didn't stay at the Wardonia in the end. We arrived at 2pm at reception and we were told that our studio room was in a separate building 5 minutes walk away. We were given vague directions and sent on our way. We found the studio flat which was in fact above a restaurant. On entry the communal area was untidy and dirty with packages on the stairs. The flat was on the second floor. We opened the door and were followed in by a cat. The flat was a tip! The beds were unmade. Dirty towels on the bed, food left out in the kitchen area and the place was generally dirty. The security was also poor. It was clear that we couldn't stay. We walked back to reception and expected the staff to be apologetic in the least. They clearly didn't understand or acknowledge there was a problem. There was no apology or offer of alternative accommodation. We were told that we should have left our belongings at the flat as the cleaner was on their way. It was obvious that they thought it was acceptable to send guests to accommodation in such a state. It was also obvious that the man in charge didn't care. Even if the room had been cleaned it still wouldn't have been of an acceptable standard. This is my first review on Trip Advisor as I felt compelled to warn holidaymakers and travellers

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is probably the 12th time I have stayed at the Wardonia Hotel. Over the years it has improved over time. Yes the rooms are small, but there is everything one needs. The beds are super comfortable and everything is sparkling clean. The only draw back is that there are no lifts and sometimes lugging a heavy suitcase up the stairs can be challenging. Other than that it is an excellent short stay hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Anne E
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have stayed here for 5 nights a second time and loved it as much as last time. Very easy access to Heathrow because the tube goes all the way no changing of trains.
The room has all you need: compfy bed, nice pillows, schampo and soap in the super clean bathroom, hair dryer, kettle and coffe/ tea, tv. Yes the rooms are small but it does not affect me at all,I think it's cosy.
It' so close to St Pancras and Kings Cross Tubestation with a lot of connections handy. The Wifi workshop great. Would recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Small rooms but clean. Great bed. Great shower. Great location for train ride in the morning. Was close enough to kings cross station that could carry a heavy bag but not too close that noise was an issue. Was easy to find and friendly staff too.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My 4-month-booked room was assigned to an apartment on the third floor and 15 minute walk from the main hotel. The hotel officer told us that our room was assigned to an apartment with 15 minute walk on small roads. The apartment was near Russell Square, instead of King’s Cross St Pancras station. She gave us a map for the apartment. It was very difficult to the apartment because we were in London and Europe for the first time. There was an trash bin in the front of the apartment so it was difficult to get in. The officer demanded us to pay the money for the nights we stayed. The office was not helpful. The Internet password didn't match the Wi-Fi network. NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family