“hot!”

Neighbourhood: Marylebone
lomdom
“hot!”
Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

We went to the place for a drink, I was a bit afraid of the place. London like to create the buzz, and the CF is buzzing as hell since the opening! But the buzz is usually created with help of marketing, PR, and other tricks... At the end some places are far away from the true costumers expectations...

Courtyard is amazing, it's a gem in a middle of Marylebone! We took a couple of lovely drinks, not pretentious, not incredible, lovely.
Because of the weather we moved in the main bar. And for the first time I can say I'm happy of the London capricious weather! The next cocktails we get were just fantastic! Bartenders were amazing, fun, and helpful. We didn't took cocktails from the menu... We ask to the french blue eyes one to create something for us. Our request didn't surprise him, quickly we got some amazing drinks! The waitress was very nice and very close to the guest.
At the end we spent 3 hours chatting and enjoying at the bar.
Snacks are good but small... but not overpriced.

I recommend the place for the drinks. I recommend the french bartender and this french accent ! ( and this eyes... So blue)

we will comeback!

2 Thank EmmaMayfair89

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
“Style over substance”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Went to Chiltern Firehouse today with my wife and family, after they'd booked for us to have brunch as my birthday treat.

I was slightly dubious about the place due to the excess of attention it gets in poor quality magazines and papers, and have no interest in eating somewhere in the hope I sit next to a celebrity who I've never heard of.

The pluses:

The restaurant is beautifully done up, it's a lovely venue and the attention to detail is impressive. We went with our kids and the staff were lovely with them and very attentive.

The minuses:

The food is ok. Just ok. The 'signature' crab donuts leaked oil when I squeezed mine, but tasted... well... ok. If you like crab and doughnut. I had the crab omelette to follow, and it was very small and not groundbreaking. For £17!!! For that money you would expect something special. What I got was a two egg omelette with a stingy sprinkling of crab flesh on top and a bit of spicing that made it slightly more interesting than it sounds (but only just).

We also had their eggs benedict and florentine, which were fine but nothing better than in any other average brunch spot. Only at £12 a plate for two small eggs on muffins, at least double the price.

The clientele appears to consist mainly of oompa-loompas from Essex on a day out in London, hoping to catch a glimpse of someone famous; people with more money than sense (and not as much taste) and the occasional famous-ish person. My mother-in-law recognised that the table next to us was the Kaiser Chiefs (don't ask me how she knew who they were, I've got two of their records and didn't clock them!).

If that's what you want - the possibility of a B to C list celebrity sighting - this is the place for you.

If, like me, you love food and have high expectations when you go out, you probably have eaten much better meals and paid far less.

10 Thank Barnetville
London, United Kingdom
“Children firehouse”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This place is hilarious. Menu is shocking. They have cauliflower as a main course. Waitress told us it was Devine but it was basically undercooked cauliflower with crime fraiche and nuts scattered on top.
LA folk will love it (veg,veg,veg), but it's the only restaurant I've been in this year, where I could not find anything.
Maître D was lovely ( French ) , and he wore a very fetching velvet jacket!
We got absolutely hammered as we ate very little. Desserts were even funnier. Strawberry sundae, was one tiny spoon of ice cream and a strawberry cut in half. If you are on a diet, this is the spot for you!
Atmosphere was great as everyone was drunk!

• Visited August 2014
5 Thank Tara G
Preston, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Perfect night! The staff couldn't do enough for you. The whole air about the place has a buzz. All in all a brilliant evening! Our waitress was lovely. Chatty but not over intrusive. It's an experience rather than just a meal. Well worth the wait!!

London
“Sub par food!!”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We arrived at this over hyped restaurant with an open mind. I ordered the prawn in almond milk with smoked grapes which was disgusting. In fact I wouldn't even serve it to my cat! The prawns were raw, the almond milk was tasteless and the only thing saving the dish was the grapes. Even the waiter looked at me with a concerned face when I ordered it. My main was the lamb which was under seasoned and the only thing saving this dish was the tasty sides!! My dessert was forgettable. Also before we had finished our meal the waiter asked if we would like the bill as they needed the table when we weren't given a time constraint on the table when we booked!!! The cheek of them. We finished our meal and paid when we were ready to leave, only to be refused service at the bar for after dinner drinks because we wouldn't get off the table when they asked us to! Would I recommend this place....absolutely not!

• Visited August 2014