“My favourite museum in London!”

Grant Museum of Zoology
Ranked #133 of 1,591 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The Grant Museum is the only remaining university zoological museum in London. It houses around 67,000 specimens, covering the whole of the Animal Kingdom. Founded in 1827 as a teaching collection, the Museum is packed full of skeletons, mounted animals and specimens preserved in fluid. Many of the species are now endangered or extinct including the Tasmanian Tiger or Thylacine, the Quagga, and the Dodo. The Museum relocated to a new larger space on March 2011.
London
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“My favourite museum in London!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

I've been to this museum several times - there's so many specimens packed in that you're sure to find something different to be interested in each time, particularly in the Micrarium! There are also great temporary exhibitions within the central space (memorably for me one which included paintings by elephants) as well as regular events. This should be up there with the South Kensington museums as a must visit when in London! :)

Visited August 2013

South East London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An eccentric treasure trove”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is a real hidden gem. A small museum which is packed to the rafters with zoological items - skeletons, pickled animals in jars, and fossils. The exhibits originate from the outstanding Victorian zoologist Robert Grant but are arranged in an accessible and often witty way - if you feel you are being watched it is probably because of the ape skeletons looking down on you from the balcony! The "Micrarium" alone justifies a visit - a walk in room with walls of backlit glass slides containing tiny beasties.Very close to Euston Station and a short walk from the British Museum. This should be on everyone's list for a visit to London.

Visited September 2013
3 attraction reviews
“A real hidden gem which I would recommend to everyone.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

I visited the Grant Museum with my children (twins aged 9 who can't agree on anything) on a Saturday afternoon.

On arrival the two members of staff at the front desk welcomed us and gave us an introduction to the museum. I was really impressed that they spoke to all of us and my children were listening and excited to see more.

We stayed for just under two hours and in that time all three of us were fascinated constantly. So much to see. So much to make your mouth fall open. I would recommend it to everyone.

After the alternating groans and moans I experienced from my children at the National History Museum a few weeks earlier, I had gasps from both children eagerly pointing out one thing after another.

The seats and tables in the middle are excellent and when I wanted to rest, I could sit and watch my children enjoying the exhibits on display.

We were asked to participate in a short survey before we left and the children found that good fun also. Again, the member of staff was friendly and really engaged with the children.

I can't fault anything about it and now I am a huge fan. I have told everyone I know and will definitely return.

Great for a few hours out in London.

Visited June 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Jar of moles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Loved the visit - took my other half for her Birthday.
Coupled it with a free showing of Jekyll & Hyde at UCL, so wandered around the museum with a glass of wine after closing - was brilliant!
Will definitely be going again

Visited December 2012
England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Great venue, lovely team, easy to get to and access, always something new to see and learn about.
Amazingly it is free!