“So cool! (:”

Grant Museum of Zoology
Ranked #145 of 1,673 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The Grant Museum is the only remaining university zoological museum in London. It houses around 67,000 specimens, covering the whole of the Animal Kingdom. Founded in 1827 as a teaching collection, the Museum is packed full of skeletons, mounted animals and specimens preserved in fluid. Many of the species are now endangered or extinct including the Tasmanian Tiger or Thylacine, the Quagga, and the Dodo. The Museum relocated to a new larger space on March 2011.
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My sister and I came here on the first day of our holiday in London. It was very easy to find and in a convenient location. It's a pity more people don't know about this place because it's really cool! It's not terribly big, but it's filled to the brim with all sorts of specimens. It's both interesting and educational and really unlike anything else in London, in fact this sort of place is rare in general! The environment is pretty relaxed and we felt very comfortable moving around the museum at our own pace. It took as around an hour to see pretty much everything. We particularly liked the jar of moles, the Quagga skeleton, and the bisected heads. The best part is that admission is absolutely completely wonderfully FREE! If you're really squeamish, though, might want to proceed with caution...Anyway, it was such a cool and fascinating way to start our holiday and I'll definitely come take another look the next time we come to London.

There are newer reviews for Grant Museum of Zoology

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Fantastic museum with oh, so much to see. Helpful staff and plenty of info on the exhibits. The museum itself boast of interesting history, beautiful architecture and a very convenient location. A fun visit that does not disappoint.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I've been to this museum several times - there's so many specimens packed in that you're sure to find something different to be interested in each time, particularly in the Micrarium! There are also great temporary exhibitions within the central space (memorably for me one which included paintings by elephants) as well as regular events. This should be up there with the South Kensington museums as a must visit when in London! :)

Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is a real hidden gem. A small museum which is packed to the rafters with zoological items - skeletons, pickled animals in jars, and fossils. The exhibits originate from the outstanding Victorian zoologist Robert Grant but are arranged in an accessible and often witty way - if you feel you are being watched it is probably because of the ape skeletons looking down on you from the balcony! The "Micrarium" alone justifies a visit - a walk in room with walls of backlit glass slides containing tiny beasties.Very close to Euston Station and a short walk from the British Museum. This should be on everyone's list for a visit to London.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I visited the Grant Museum with my children (twins aged 9 who can't agree on anything) on a Saturday afternoon.

On arrival the two members of staff at the front desk welcomed us and gave us an introduction to the museum. I was really impressed that they spoke to all of us and my children were listening and excited to see more.

We stayed for just under two hours and in that time all three of us were fascinated constantly. So much to see. So much to make your mouth fall open. I would recommend it to everyone.

After the alternating groans and moans I experienced from my children at the National History Museum a few weeks earlier, I had gasps from both children eagerly pointing out one thing after another.

The seats and tables in the middle are excellent and when I wanted to rest, I could sit and watch my children enjoying the exhibits on display.

We were asked to participate in a short survey before we left and the children found that good fun also. Again, the member of staff was friendly and really engaged with the children.

I can't fault anything about it and now I am a huge fan. I have told everyone I know and will definitely return.

Great for a few hours out in London.