“Afternoon Tea for my mother was the best!!!”

The Deli at Amba Hotel Marble Arch
Ranked #6,566 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I had a groupon deal for afternoon tea at Thistle Marble Arch. The service was fantastic and they were very friendly and attentive. We arrived slightly earlier and had to wait around 20 minutes for them to get the table ready however it was a pleasant wait in which they served us fresh tea. Once seated Magda and the waitress were very kind to organise a birthday cake for my mother which wasn't included in the afternoon tea. My mother loved it!! Thanks a lot for making her birthday extra special!!

There are newer reviews for The Deli at Amba Hotel Marble Arch

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just returned from a relaxing afternoon at the Thistle. Excellent Selection of teas and sandwiches and pastries. Had the halal selection of sandwiches which were quite nice although not Laduree standard!

Reviewed 5 February 2014

We were given a groupon voucher for a Christmas present which was to the value of £52.00. When we arrived for tea the menu said £20.00 person for afternoon tea. Didn't like to approach the person who gave it to us as it was a present.
The tea certainly wasn't worth £20.00 let alone £26.00 per person.
The sandwiches were made from the cheapest ingredients and the bread wasn't at all appetizing, obviously a very cheap brand of sliced white bread.
The pastries were extremely small and soggy. The only thing anywhere near enjoyable was the pot of green tea.
If you are willing to pay either £20.00 or £26.00 per head for a pot of tea then this is the place but don't expect anything fancy to go along with it.
Very disappointed and would definitely not recommend.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Went for afternoon tea yesterday, and was told that they had made bookings for it on boxing day when they were not supposed to, as apparently they were very busy. Strangely enough, only 3 people in a group of one, came in front of us and the whole restaurant was empty. (A couple was finishing lunch when we arrived) We really felt it was not our fault if they were busy and they made a mistake! However, the tea set they served in was best one I have ever seen, so I will praise that. We have been to several afternoon teas before and this was definitely the worst one ever due to the quality of what we were served. The scones were hard and stale, we did not enjoy the lemon tart and I almost felt sick after having it. My husband had a similar feeling. Mince pies were good but another pudding served with it was horrible, it felt they served us thickened clotted cream and we didnt enjoy that either, but the sandwiches were okay. We told the waiter to exchange our beef sandwiches with any other flavour which was kindly done, but I should say the staff didnot seem generally very happy and polite. We were left alone during the duration and no one even came once to ask if everything was okay. I must confess we did go elsewhere after that to change our taste as the experience gave me a headache. I repeat the tea set was amazing, so hope this would not put you off from visiting Thistle.

2  Thank Wishmah
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Please note this is a review about the afternoon tea not the Hotel in general

My partner and I had a Groupon Voucher for Afternoon Tea at the Thistle Marble Arch which we were looking forward to based on how good the teas were at other Thistle hotels we had visited (Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly). Our booking was for 2 pm and we arrived at around 1.55 pm we handed our voucher to the waitress and was told our table was not ready and asked to take a seat in the lounge and we would be called - 35 minutes later we were eventually showed to a huge table hardly suitable for two people more like four to six and were given a Cocktail and Tea menu and asked to choose. Our cocktail arrived fairly swiftly and about 10 minutes later our sandwiches arrived, but without our pot of tea. About 10-15 minutes passed and our pot of tea had still not arrived so my partner went to the service area and asked for our pot of tea which did eventually arrive. On the plus side the sandwiches, cakes and scones were very nice but the whole experience was rather let down by the terrible service. One final point was when I requested some more tea the waitress took our pot away and she returned with the same pot having just added more hot water but no fresh tea leaves!
All in all very disappointing.

1  Thank pepe5550