“Lovely place to relax” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #552 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Having read Lady Dinah's website regarding the fact that you need to book 50 days in advance, we were concerned that we wouldn't get to visit the cafe on our trip to London, but we were lucky enough to spot a cancellation on their website just a day before our arrival. They also recommend checking their twitter feed as they sometimes get cancellations on the day.

Overall, we had a lovely, relaxing few hours at the cafe. The staff were all extremely friendly and it is clear how much they care about the cats. The food was tasty and while the service was a bit slow, we didn't mind because we weren't there to rush, we were there to spend some time chilling out and watching the cats.

As other people have mentioned, the cats are sleepy. But that is normal, and personally I think that the animals' health and happiness is vital, and it is clear that the cafe have their priorities right. We were there at 1:30 on a hot afternoon, and at least 5 of the cats woke up and wanted to play at one point or another during our visit. Therefore, plenty of opportunity for playing and stroking.

I would definitely agree that the only downside can be the other visitors at the cafe. We were there at the same time as a child who was a bit too over-excited and wasn't great at giving the cats their space. Personally, I would definitely visit again, but probably during school time, so that there would be less children and therefore more relaxation (and more of a chance to play with the cats myself!)

I would recommend visiting Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium. Make sure you read their website before your visit, as it gives you good tips on what to expect and how to get the most out of your visit.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Heather B

São Carlos, São Paulo, Brazil
“Nice Cat Café”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were very excited last year reading about the first cat café that will be opened in London, and of course had to go for a visit once we were in the city. We had booked our visit four months in advance, and chose the opening time slot (11:00am) having in mind that cats will need their naps later on in the day. When we got to the café, we were asked to wait outside for a while, and we immediately spotted some of the furry friends sunbathing by the window. When we were welcomed inside, paid for the entrance fee which is 5 pounds per person and then we were explained some rules, such as not to disturb cats while they are sleeping, not to use flash photography and we had to wash our hands because of safety reasons for the cats. The decoration of the café is lovely, mostly vintage furniture, cat toys, boxes, pillows - basically anything that cats use as beds and plenty of tables on both floors and we were allowed to choose any table we preferred. There are about 10 cats and there are also photographs all over the place with all of them and their stories (many of them related) and we loved the fact that they get to have a fun and happy life in the cat emporium, surrounded with love and affection. As we all know, cats will be cats, and they love their naps, so most of them were sleeping, but we ordered some sandwiches and juices meanwhile. There are plenty of things on the menu, different kinds of sandwiches, cakes, juices and coffee. Afterwards, we were lucky as some of the cats woke up and were in the play mood, so we petted them and took some nice pictures. We very much enjoyed our Lady Dinah’s Cat Emporium experience and couldn’t get enough of it. We were happy to have spent a lovely time with these adorable cats during our summer holiday.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Marco_Batalha
Lyon, France
“Not up to my expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

As some people already wrote in their reviews, too many people fighting for the cats attention (staff included) spoiled the peaceful moment we could get in the café. It's true that the cats are beautiful and nicely cared for. But as a cat lover, it somehow disturbed me to sit and watch them struggle to find a quiet and remote place to hide and rest. The place is small and quickly crowded. Some clients lacked respect for each other, and for the cats. There was a little girl desperate to play with cats, and as soon as someone was beginning to enjoy a special moment with a cat, she came and ruined it. So we only stayed for less than an hour.The waitresses were all really nice but we came for the afternoon tea and the place had run out of scones. We had to order three times to finally get a cake that was still available. Something to try once, but I won't go again. I would recommend the morning shifts (if available) to enjoy the place fully.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank S F
Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable afternoon & reasonable prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Visited on Sat 2 Aug. Was really looking forward to this as both my friend and I were crowdfunders for the business so our entry plus 'tea and cake' was already paid for in February 2013 when we donated to the Viagogo site.

Our booking was at 11.30am and we were taken through bang on time.
Now, yes, the cats do sleep a lot and you may not see too much of them, but they are not performing monkeys and we all know how contrary cats can be, so when they do choose to sit or play with you, it makes it all the more special. I did not have a problem with this and having owned cats all my life, appreciated that guests are asked to leave the cats be.
The real issue here, and I hate to say it, are some of the guests! Some just lose all sense of normal behaviour. Shortly after being seated and just sitting there reading the menu, another lady walked over and leaned right over me. I wasn't sure at all what she was up to. Seeing the look on my face, she then stated that she was looking it see if there were any cats on the shelves/ sleeping places on the other side of my table. I mean what is that about?!? People, the rules of personal space still exist in the cat cafe!

Anyway, back to the cafe itself....I thought the coffee was good, the chicken and avocado bagel was very nice and the Cronuts were delicious (I had the PB and jelly). All food was reasonably priced - nothing was cheap, but then it's in Shoreditch, so what would you expect.

The staff we encountered were all friendly and really cared for the cars and enjoyed their jobs. Would recommend talking to them to learn more about each of the cats.

So all in all, really enjoyed my visit, love the concept and will be taking my Mum along soon. Keep up the good work Lady Dinah's!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank AgendaJ
London
“Extremely disappointing and too expensive”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We booked our slot about 4 months ago and were counting the days. Its a lovely idea but the reality is that you would get more cat action in the average London back garden. In my opinion this cafe needs around 45 more cats to make the £5 cover charge (each!) worth it! I think there are a mere 10 or 11 in total but, as you do with cats, around 9 of them were asleep and simply not interested in giving you the time of day, and the couple that were awake were being prepared for din dins and grumpy - so we weren't allowed to touch them! I could tell that everyone around was well disappointed too! A limited menu - the smallest bagels in Shoreditch for £6 something - and all the atmosphere of a doctor's waiting room. More on the menu and less on the rules list and the bill would be advised. There is something a bit charming and quirky In the disorganisation though, and it was a bit of a relief to find we were undercharged. Sadly we won't be returning.

• Visited August 2014