“sensational food and well matched wine”
Review of Canvas Restaurant - CLOSED

Canvas Restaurant
Price range: US$32 - US$51
Cuisines: European, Spanish, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Belgravia
Description: This elegant bar and restaurant in the heart of Chelsea knows how to turn a blank canvas into a masterpiece. Located in a charming brick building minutes away from bustling Sloane Street and Kings Road, Canvas makes wining and dining into an art. Noted for their mix-and-match European menu with paired wines or specialty cocktails, Canvas offers a vibrant palette of flavours and textures to intrigue your tastebuds. The ambience is elegant yet relaxed, with fine art lining the walls that's as alluring as the plates. For your intimate party, the bar's sleek private dining room overlooking the restaurant is a clear winner. In the main area, smart tables are available, with soft mood lighting and crisp design. This is a great venue for corporate or classy celebrations, offering quality and comfort in a gilded frame. Optional: in case of private hire, possible to ask for a DJ/Dancefloor, special food (canapés, set menus) etc. To be discuss directly with the manager. Options availab
Stratford-upon-avon
“sensational food and well matched wine”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I ate at CANVAS in April and now we are going to book again for september but realised i didn't leave a review last time which, quite frankly, is poor show from me because it was THAT great. I had heard on the grapevine that the restaurant was small and intimate which suited us to the ground. We love the chef, after eating him food previously out near Oxford we just had to try CANVAS. We arrive on a blustery evening to be greeted with beaming smiles and great glee. we were seated and explained the concept which is basically to create your own tasting menu from an abundance of fabulous dishes. We had a 12 course menu (we had starved ourselves for 3 days) and (some) matching wines. The courses were well balanced full of flavour but not overpowering in any one product or flavour. The langoustine and asparagus (i presume a signature as there is a sketch of the design on the wall) was fantastic - sweet, succulent langoustine with the deep asparagus flavour and barley was a sensation. there was a halibut dish that was full of deep wonderfully balanced flavoured and a char grilled octopus with tomato, olive gave a great twist to the French Rivera. A loin of venison was earthy and sweet and pork three ways was magnificent! Chef himself came and served some dishes and had a chat - a great guy that is very down to earth and obviously very talented. For us this is 1 star cooking in a unpretentious quaint restaurant. the wine was well matched and thought provoking and we had good discussions with the charming Sommelier. So all in all a cracking meal and one of the best this year. ok on to re-booking now!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank bubblebathrubberduck

London, United Kingdom
“A picture perfect meal at Riemenschneider's Canvas”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If there was a restaurant that should have opened with fanfare, it’s Canvas. Too much news is often been devoted to mediocre openings that it’s a shame that Canvas hasn’t yet been praised for just how fantastic it is. It’s a 20 seater restaurant, tucked away on Marylebone Lane. Unfortunately, it’s all too easy to miss if you’re not already looking for it but it’s definitely worth a detour.

The unique selling point for Canvas is that the diner can construct their own tasting menu from a list of about 15 options: ideal for the picky amongst us. A 10 course tasting menu is probably not what people want in the middle of the day so Canvas do offer a more restrained, discounted, lunchtime version of 3 courses but really to get the full impact, go for the full thing.

Michael Riemenschneider’s key to great food seems to be simplicity; seasonal ingredients, beautifully combined, painted with his own flourishes. I cannot believe I’m saying this but amongst the 10 courses, not one single dish disappointed us. Even the chicken with asparagus, emulsion and broad beans, (a meat which I often find a little bland and my mother is quick to disparage) was succulent. It’s hard to pick favourites but the scallops, cucumber, horseradish and radish were an amazing start to the meal. The beef tartar with cherry and avocado was a great blend of flavours and the strawberries and cream panacotta is the perfect combination of richness, enough to satisfy any sweet tooth, but maintaining a lightness in keep with the summer season. This is a high quality tasting menu so of course there are ingredients I have never seen before – one dish was garnished with pretty purple flowers which were utterly unrecognisable. Still very tasty though. Canvas had adapted the menu to the warmer weather and everything had clean crisp flavours. It was all enhanced by the wine pairings.

This is not the first time that I’ve chosen to take the restaurant’s wine pairing but rarely has the food and wine worked so well together. This is the impression a wine pairing should make and yet so many restaurants get it wrong. The iconic wine list (and yes, it is expensive, really, really expensive but unbelievably worth every penny) is incredible. I usually hate aromatic wines but it didn’t matter because this Riesling converted me. The Pinot Noir had depth and character; really memorable. More importantly, the wine and food are a fabulous complement to each other. Sommelier Alis Jusic is friendly and knowledgeable. I would urge anyone to take his recommendations at Canvas. He’s extremely good at his job. Canvas was quiet during our Friday lunch but the service remained attentive, without hovering. Four hours later, we didn’t feel like they were anxious to hurry us off, it was a good balance.

Michael Riemenschneider has created a flawless dining experience and it would be a shame if it missed out on the recognition it deserves in favour of splashier openings.

• Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food in an intimate restaurant”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I went with a friend and we had the 5 course taster with wine. It is an intimate and excellent restaurant. The food was excellent and a few fun twists like the smokey liqueur and smoke. It is a place for an intimate special occasion.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank BenK588
“Fabulous choice”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Went along to Canvas for a special occasion and it certainly delivered!

Opted for the chef's selection with wine - a truly amazing meal that blew away other places I have eaten at. Still can't decide on my favourite course! Service was attentive, friendly and made the evening thoroughly enjoyable.

Best place in town.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank R_2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A highly enjoyable evening”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was so excited about going to this chic little restaurant. I was blown away by the menu, but when the food arrived it was art on a plate - What delicious masterpieces one after another. And if you like wine (like my family and I do) then you have got yourself a winner. The wine is great and the sommelier is superb!

• Visited March 2014