“Great Indian”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

About time we had a better restaurant in king St. This fits the bill. The staff are pleasant and helpful the premises immaculate but the highlight is the food. I tried the rogan Josh. Very tasty. Take a trip here and enjoy.

1  Thank Christopher D

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I travel to Hammersmith regularly and have been hugely disappointed with the quality of the food in the restaurants along King Street.

Tamarind Restaurant bucks the trend and provides wonderful food. The food is freshly prepared to order so expect a delay between order and serving. Fully worth the wait though. The fresh spices really bring out an authentic Indian aroma. Everthing was fresh and tasted super. I loved the doughy Naan bread!

I am an Indian so I am particularly fussy about Indian cuisine. The food in Tamarind is true authentic Indian cuisine. Be aware, when the menu says the dish is spicey ... it will be spicey.

Starters are around £4 to £7
Mains range from £7 to £10
Sides are £4 for a small portion and £7 for a large portion

I had the The Tamarind Mix (£5.95) Lamb tikka, chicken tikka served with salad & mint sauce. The chicken was very succelent and the lamb was delicious. For my main meal I had Lal Gosht (£10.95) Tender lamb cooked in a typical Bangladeshi style with pumpkin in chefs special combination of spices . Medium hot. Truely mouth watering. My saag aloo side dish was also super.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

On the strength of a decent take away, we decided to eat in. Firstly, the restaurant décor is decent, modern but not devoid of character.

There were 3 other tables when we arrived, and 2 waiting staff. This should have been ample to allow for decent service, however 1 staff member was also taking out deliveries and the other was continually having to take incoming phone orders.

So from the outset, the wait to be offered drinks / poppadum's was too long, as was the time it took for them to arrive (on both occasions, we were going to leave, but they produced what we had ordered, just in time) I'd advise you NOT to order Poppadums (we had 2) plus some very ordinary dips, this amounted to £5 (should have flagged it at the time, as looking at the menu online today, we were overcharged.

The main dishes (as per our take away) were good. It would have been helpful however if the waiter had advised that one of the dishes, not listed on the menu, contained segments of orange in it, as this wouldn't be too a lot of peoples taste.

We had to send back both naan breads, as they were laden with salt. The manager advised that chef had put salt into the mix as opposed to a 'sweeter ingredient'

On this note, both the Manager and the staff acknowledged shortcomings and dealt with the issues well. This, combined with good main courses, gives them an average score, however there was enough going (or went wrong) to make a return visit unlikely.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had a very nice meal at Tamarind, Hammersmith, London using a booking made through Last Minute.com. The deal was eat three courses and get 50% off FOOD. We had poppadoms and pickles followed by starters, main courses and desserts, plus drinks. When the bill came 50% had been taken off for the food except for the desserts. When we queried this we were told desserts didn't come into the 50% off category --- so they are not food??? Just a bit misleading as that was not mentioned by Last Minute.com.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I visited the restaurant with my mum and sister last weekend. The staff were very friendly and attentive and made an effort to really look after us. We were all very pleased with food- the lamb Karachi was particularly good. After starters and main we finished with a floater coffee which was the perfect ending to a lovely evening.

I look forward to visiting again. Rebecca.