“Premier Inn London City - Tower Hill”

Premier Inn London City (Tower Hill) Hotel
Ranked #212 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Nice clean, friendly hotel. Close to Tower of London and Tower Bridge. Transport into town centre excellent, trains buses and tube a short stroll away.
Dinner a bit pricey, but Wetherspoons just across the road.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,341)

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Typical premier inn with friendly and helpful staff, comfortable rooms and good facilities close to the sights and easy access to tower bridge and tube station - shame a problem with electrics meant that we could not try the thyme restaurant maybe next time

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I agree with virtually everything said in the 4 overall rating reviews for this hotel. I'd book here again in a flash.

It is difficult to rate budget hotels. Do you compare them with other budget hotels, or with hotels in general in the same city and vicinity? If I were rating this against other budget hotels I have stayed at, I'd give it five. In my mind the room and comfort level are far beyond most others. And even judging it on its own merits, I believe it is very good.

The lobby area is interestingly useful. There is a bar and you can buy drinks and bring them to your room. The sitting area looks like nothing much, at first, but there is a TV on, and the seats are comfortable, and guests do sit there, chat, read the paper, and wait for their company. So there is a certain liveliness to it. Across the lobby is another sitting area with a decent array of savory snacks and cold sodas, water, etc. I only mention these things because budget hotels seldom offer as much.

I didn't try breakfast, but I was told it was quite good.

My room was on the fifth floor, and when I was there, quiet prevailed. I had an interior view, but that wasn't anything to crow about (see photo). The size was fine for me as a single traveler. It would have been too small for two (for instance, there was no space for a lounge chair. The only chair was the straight-backed one for the desk.

The heating system seemed strange to me. I didn't know whether I was actually controlling it or not. Overhead system, and when I was standing underneath the vent, boy was it warm! Room stayed warm even when I adjusted the wall thermostat to its lowest level (17C).

Wireless functioned fast enough, not spectacular. The pay scheme (3 pounds/night) wasn't functioning properly. Although I had paid for several days in advance, and was charged on y credit card, that never worked. But the front desk was extremely gracious and very helpful, and each day gave me a free login password.

The location is terrific, circle and district lines right down the street around the corner. Easy walk to Tower Bridge and the river area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mostly_happy_camper
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I visited this hotel recently and was amazed how big the rooms were, but comparatively how small the beds were!
The rest of the hotel was pretty much what you can expect from Premier Inn - the same as any other Premier Inn, with a decent enough standard for a mid range price point.
Not bad for a London weekend stay though where all you need to use a hotel for is a place to sleep.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed one night at London's Premier Inn Tower Hill, double room for 59 pounds (pre-pay offer), which I thought was great value for London. The hotel is 2 mins walk from Tower Hill station or 10 mins walk from Liverpool st station, perfect location for getting around. The area around the hotel felt very safe. The staff were really friendly, they let us check in at about 10am (hours before the 2pm standard check in time) and also stored our bags the next day after check out, and couldn't do enough to help us. The bedroom was a bit small but it and bathroom were very clean. The shower was lovely, really powerful. Costa coffee in reception was very convenient. We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on food. But, overall was delighted with the service and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Bit of context here - this will probably be a little boring, but stick with me, it might get better. In the first instance my loved one and I were going to use the excellent West Coast charter train service on the same date - which would have seen us staying at the most desirable London City Crowne Plaza (reviewed elsewhere). Unfortunately the trip was fully booked - so our own arrangements had to be made.
Following our excellent experience of the Premier Inn Riverside in Inverness, it seemed sensible to try this "budget" chain again. Not so much "budget" in London, though! Even Premier bow to the notion that London travellers are a cash cow, just waiting to divest themselves of their largesse. Well - we don't have any!
First impressions of the Inn. Easy to find, superb location for transport on the river, by Tube or by bus. Full marks there. Reception was friendly, the counter being part of the larger functionally furnished café bar area. We were assigned Room 51, being on the ground floor immediately adjacent to the bar. This proved a little troublesome later. Upon entering our nice clean comfortable room we discovered it was only equipped with a shower. On enquiring we discovered that the only rooms with baths (which we prefer) were the disabled ones. We were offered a change, but decided to stay in the really convenient room we were assigned.
Everything worked, and we settled down nicely in the evening, after dining at that nice little Turkish restaurant on St Katherine's Dock. If I remember its name I'll let you know.
Due to the early start, we were both tired and after enduring that Jungle TV programme, turned in. I had already noticed there was a sign on the bar counter saying it was closed.
That can't have been true, as for about one and a half hours after we had put our lights out it sounded like a really enjoyable party was going on, coupled with bumps and thumps of moving furniture. Being really tired, we declined the opportunity of joining in the fun and tried to sleep...difficult, but by the time the last of the revellers had sloped off I suspect we too had sloped off to a quieter land called Sleep.
Note, I am not really complaining about this. We were in the nearest room to the bar and so could expect some disturbance. Perhaps the room could have had a little sound-proofing?
We had paid for breakfast in advance - and by golly it was worth it. The bacon was to die for, the eggs were hot and the coffee good.
The following night we dined at the Crown near the Piccadilly Theatre - where we watched "Dirty Dancing" - hence the title of this drivel. I bought the programme at the cost of a small African republic, and brought it back to our room. Unfortunately when we left the next morning we forgot to pack it. We were allowed to store our bags in the luggage room until we returned to pick them up for our return home (thus saving left luggage fee at Kings Cross). We enquired about the programme at the desk and the very helpful manager went to look for it. Upon drawing a blank he even took our phone number to let us know it it had turned up. He even rang the next say to say they had been unable to locate it. If you go into room 51, check under the bed. I think that's where it must be...
I've been hovering between a 3 and a 4 for this spot, but the bacon has won me over and so it must be a rare, but deserved, 4.

Room Tip: Unless you want to be near the bar, avoid 51.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HoToCo
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed for one night and was unexpectedly pleased with this hotel. Have never stayed in a Premier Inn before and only booked as it was so conveniently placed for the meeting I was attending; certainly didn't expect it to be such a pleasant experience. Room very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. All the staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast was really very good. It was only a short walk from Tower Gateway station, ideal when flying into City airport as the DLR takes you directly there which, when carrying a suitcase, is a bonus! Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business