“Could be great, but merely ok”
Review of One Sixty - CLOSED

One Sixty
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2014

First, the basics. One Sixty is the new project from David Moore, the restauranteur behind the Michelin starred Pied à Terre and L'Autre Pied restaurants. It's named after the ideal temperature for smoking meat; which is the restaurants' speciality.

The wife and I had a rare night out, so was looking for something extra-special. And we love smoked meats, so it seemed a great choice.

Entering, they have a doorman, which is a good sign. However as soon as we were actually in the bar / restaurant it was immediately confusing. Do you proceed to the bar to register that you're there for food, or move to the booking system computer in the middle of the restaurant? We tried first the former, then the latter. But it was an uncertain start, and despite three/four staff at the system nobody seemed to acknowledge our presence for a while.

Finally sat down, it has a short, enticing menu. Which is a good start. And a great range of beers and drinks. Ordering was pretty swift, and to be fair, the food also came quickly. We tried the fish bites to start, pulled pork bun, the ribs, chips and slaw.

We rather startled a waitress asking to change an order mid-meal, but it was changed without fuss. Unfortunately nothing really hit the spot. The fish bites were too bready, the pulled pork rather uninspiring, the ribs oversalted, the slaw just ok.

Towards the end of the meal (around 10.30pm) the music volume was suddenly amped up making it too uncomfortable to stay much longer, so we took the bill (reasonable cost) and left.

It's opened in a venue that has struggled in the past - Me love sushi was there for not many months. However it is slap bang in the middle of West End Lane, next to the Black Lion, so it shouldn't be the location which affects it.

For West Hampstead, I think it's worth trying. But if you're on a rare night out with a discerning French wife, I'd suggest hopping on a tube and going further afield for decent ribs and smoked meats.

One-Sixty-Smokehouse, Owner at One Sixty, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

You are right that David is involved with the project but this isn’t a Michelin concept – as you will probably gauge from our price points and style. We appreciate your comments, take all feedback on board and if you are in West Hampstead again, pop in. Sean.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Wanted to visit this place with my fiancé for a while now and was slightly disheartened by the experience which could probably summed up in 3 letters....."meh."

First issue being, there are no starters! OK sure if that's the way you want to do things I understand but presumably the portion size of the main will be more than enough to compensate.

Er no. No its not.

I had the special which was beef rib which was on par with a slightly larger than normal size singular pork rib, although meaty and pretty tasty I could have done a couple of laps easy.

Food was pretty good but the size for what you get was the real issue. Good service though, very attentive and nice place with good beer and wine selection but stop me from having starters and give me a child size portion for mains and we're going to have problems....

We don’t have starters – the mains with extras are usually enough to satisfy most appetites, so much so that desserts are often that one step too far! Glad you enjoyed it though and I’m sure we can change your mind on starters over time. Thanks, Sean.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I was meeting a friend for a drink in West Hampstead and she suggested we make a reservation here as she'd recently been and thought it was fantastic. I'm always up for American BBQ, so we made a late reservation and headed over after a few drinks next door.

First impressions were good - It's a rather small space, with a bar area situated at the front, and the dining area at the back, and it's all quite modern. We were a few minutes early, so we decided to get a drink at the bar; one look at the beer list and I was very happy we'd come, very impressive selection. It wasn't long before we were told that our table is ready, and we made our way through to the dining room. Service was friendly and efficient, and the food arrived quite quickly after ordering. My ribs were lovely, my friends burger looked great, and the wings and mac and cheese were fantastic - particularly so the wings. We were too full for desert, but those I saw being delivered to other tables looked lovely.

My only criticism is that the wings weren't particularly spicy; it would be nice if the menu had that as an option. Other than that, everything was excellent and I'll have to get back to West Hampstead to eat here again soon - it's certainly worth the journey.

Thanks for your feedback – interesting comment about different levels of spice for the wings. Great to hear you enjoyed the food and the beer in particular – we’re always adding to the beer list so make sure you come and visit us again soon! Sean.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a new opening in the WH Village so I was excited to try it. Bar staff were fantastic and really do know how to make their cocktails, take the time to chat to customers and are very friendly . However the bouncer called Dill was the rudest most obnoxious man I have ever met in my life. I would not go back here again due to his treatment of us.

1  Thank Chadoher
One-Sixty-Smokehouse, Owner at One Sixty, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Sorry to hear this. Dill no longer works at One Sixty so please be assured you won’t have to worry if you return. I’d love to invite you back for a cocktail as an apology – I hope you’ll give us another chance, Sean.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I've visited three times, and the food has always been really great, but each time it has sadly been let down by poor service.

I was excited for this place to come to the area, and was willing it to be a great new independent addition to West Hampstead - food wise it's there, but each time there have been problems. From small things like Tesco stickers being left on the lemon slice served with the food, to wine being delivered to the table with the cork still in and no waiter to be found to open it. With the last visit, there was a long wait for a table so we were offered takeaway which came with the sides missing and was then handed to us in a screwed up Sainsbury's carrier bag that someone had left behind - not good enough when you've paid £40 for a takeaway for two.

I emailed the restaurant with feedback on the problems in the hope they could iron out the problems early on, but it's been ignored which is why it reluctantly gets a two out of five.

3  Thank Andrew G
One-Sixty-Smokehouse, Owner at One Sixty, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

I’m so sorry that you’ve been let down on more than one occasion. I can promise we haven’t ignored your email and we are looking into this further and will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks, Sean.