“Not as bad as expected”

Ranked #418 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Not as bad as expected”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Only getting around to reviewing this now after my stay here in November for 4 nights. Found it online. Rang direct to book a room. Found Michael very rude on the phone , not polite at all , acting as if he was somehow doing my a favour by letting us stay?! booked it anyway as i was at this stage very desperate and needed to stay around finchley. Checked on tripadvisor AFTER i booked and was horrified by some of the reviews. Was dreading the experience, BUT to my suprise i was greeted by a nice lady when i arrived. The room was a bit cold but had everything i needed and was clean. Bathroom very small though. I then met michael (the owner) who was so helpful and friendly i couldnt believe i was speaking to the same person. I slept in for breakfast so cant comment on the food but , overall my stay was a nice one. . and can honestly say it has taught me not to believe everything i read.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank ShuGal500

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I stayed here on business recently and although the hotel was pleasant and easy to find we did note a few points that were frustrating to say the least.

The first was that the hotel was very cold, heating didn't appear to be on which left us very cold at night, also the quilts on the beds were unsuitable for this time of year as they were low tog...

In the morning, we were served a rather small breakfast and also noted that the cutlery was not clean.

It took a while to find a hotel in the area we were working and wished now we had spent a little more time looking.... Disappointed.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I've got to be honest, bad reviews about this hotel are just wrong. My partner and I stayed at Chumleigh Lodge last Friday night and we found it a charming little place.

All the staff are very friendly and helpful and it's in a great location for parking your car (without paying congestion charge) and jumping on the tube for central London.

Like everything, I would advise that you try this hotel for you self and make up your own mind. They are making an effort to make this hotel as comfortable as possible. If you want 4* luxury, book the InterContinential Hotel!

Well done for a friendly, clean and comfortable stay, we'll definately be seeing you again soon.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

On arrival we were greeted with a warm welcome and given information about the surrounding area. I stayed here with my daughter for two nights. It was a convenient tube journey to the show,shopping and sight seeing trip we had planned. A quiet residential area where we felt safe walking from the underground station late at night.
A comfortable and clean room with coffee and tea making facilities, microwave and fridge. The owner offered us plates and cutlery if we needed them for microwave meals take aways etc.
En suite nice and clean with a good shower
Breakfast was very substantial with a self service area for hot and cold drinks, toast,cereals etc, but we did find it a little confusing as there was no menu on the table for the cooked food.and the staff although very friendly and helpful did not always explain what was available.
Would deffinately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed here as a last minute booking due to the TUC event in London. All central hotels were either fully booked or ridiculous prices.

I confirmed the booking by telephone and was warmly greeted by Michael, the owner. On arrival, again the greeting was very welcoming and the room was pleasant enough with a fridge and microwave plus LCD TV with built-in DVD. Free Wi-Fi was available, and worked well.

Breakfast was a good continental, with cooked available if you wanted. The other guests seemed to be mainly building contractors working on the Olympic facilities. The hotel was quiet, close to both Finchley Central and West Finchley tube stations (a 5-6 minute walk to either), and a 20 minute journey to Euston, where I was working. The area is well catered for with oubs, restaurants and supermarkets from the large Tescos to the independent Polish and Middle Eastern stores.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised with the value for money Chumleigh Lodge offered, and would certainly return if the central London hotels were full.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I had a similar experience to another person who reviewed Chumleigh. When the owner Michael is in a bad mood he will hang up the phone mid-conversation! I struggled to get a booking (many calls that were never returned and aborted attempts at finding the rooms I'd asked for) but I prefer to support local business to chain hotels so I persisted.

A day before my family was due to arrive for my wedding I went in to check the booking (no written confirmation had been provided) and the booking was wrong. You'd expect a sorry and a polite attempt to sort it out swiftly. This is not what happened. Instead I was told I didn't know what I wanted; given different prices to the ones agreed on the phone; and furthermore Michael argued with me about disabled access (I was asking for a room downstairs because a 25 year old man is too heavy for his parents to take up the stairs). I was told that I was lying; I didn’t want the rooms and pushed to cancel and find rooms for my family elsewhere days before my wedding!!!!

I asked for a letter confirming the cancellation and Michael LOST IT! He ripped the paper with my details and shoved it in my mother's hands (she was on her mobile and unaware of why she was being approached by the man who had been tremendously rude to her). Not sure what sort of business this is. Stay there at Michael's convenience but not at yours!

I waited two weeks to write this review as I didn't want my anger to get in the way of the events. Two weeks later I'm still in utter disbelief of how unbelievebly rude the owner is.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Amantillada

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Hull
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Perfect for our one night stay in London and really convenient for visiting family nearby and for the tube into London's west end. There seemed to be some confusion when we checked in about rooms and that took a bit of time but the host was very friendly so we didn't mind.

Ensuite double room was very clean and airy, equipped with a TV, Fridge, Microwave, tea & coffee making facilities and comfy bed.

The breakfast room was pleasant with a nice outlook over the garden. We were expecting a full English breakfast in the price but learned that you had to pay extra for this. The continental style breakfast had more than enough options though so we weren't disappointed.

Overall a good choice of B&B made at the last minute and we would certainly return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple