“Hostel not hotel”

Chumleigh Lodge Hotel
Ranked #417 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2014

On arrival, as I entered the hotel it was not clear where the reception was. On closer inspection there was an area marked out by plywood. As it was 7pm this was not very welcoming. Where do I get my keys from as there were no staff on view. I heard talking from a room (a plain white door) where I found the staff to collect my key. I went to my room which on first inspection was basic but looked ok. The issues I had with the room were:
No hangers for my clothes
The room had a microwave and fridge but opening the fridge discovered used drinks - 2 waters and a tropicana
The bathroom tiles were badly painted and the grouting discoloured
Cobwebs on ceiling
No mirror in bathroom, only a screw where one once was, not good for shaving as had to keep going back in bedroom to look in mirror
No plug for sink so couldn't wash in sink
On my second day, when I returned to hotel, I went to use the bath - no hot water! Had to boil kettle to have my bath, in the mornings the water was warm but the shower was very weak with no power
Bath towels size of tea towels
Hotel supplied no soaps, shampoo, an almost empty hand wash and the cheapest quality of toilet rolls
The bedroom was cleaned to an ok standard but milk and tea bags were not replenished
Also in the corridor there was an exit sign (paper handwritten and blue tac to stick on for fire exit)

Overall the hotel was very run down. The sign for the hotel looked like it had been damaged by a vehicle. Loads of large vans parked out the front. They may have been owned by a guest but looked like they were there for somewhere to park. The corridors smelt stale and looked like it needed a good clean and paint up.

Finally the flooring was the cheapest laminate you could buy which was rising up and staying in the middle of summer, in good weather - no wind but the windows still whistled!

On a positive note the bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: ? Are there any
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Michelle2301

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed at the Chumleigh Lodge Hotel, June 2014. On arrival at the hotel we were welcomed by a member of staff and offered a drink. The owner Michael then arrived and showed us to our room. We were given a large family room on the top floor which was suitable for 2 adults and 3 teenagers. Very spacious room which contained one double and 3 single beds. The room also had tv, microwave, fridge, kettle and of course an en-suite bathroom. The room was absolutely fine for our needs. Next morning we had continental breakfast which you just helped yourselves to. Again this breakfast was fine, basic, but did the job. When we checked out Michael gave advice on where to spend Sunday morning. With the tube being just down the road we abandoned the car and went to Camden market. We were told by Michael to pop back in for a drink and to freshen up on return which we thought was very nice. Our overall opinion was we really enjoyed the stay and felt at home because of the lovely staff. One fault was no mirror in the bathroom which both teenage daughters have request for next stay! Thankyou for your lovely hospitality

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The only reason this has scored 1 s is that we can not rate it 0. Unwelcoming and inhospitable, the hall and stairs dirty and the room very basic and grubby. The door showed signs of forced entry making it feel insecure.
The bed was uncomfortable, pillows hard and thin duvet covered by a stained cover. The soft red lighting was disgusting. The fridge in the bedroom was noisy. The windows from our bedroom and the dining area looked into the 'garden' which resembles a municipal tip containing derelict vehicles and rubbish. Very run down.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Paula J
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I spent last night at this hotel. Biggest mistake i have made. Tiny bedroom. Shared toilet. Flush did not work. No toilet paper . toilet door that does not close properly.
Did not dare to wait to try the breakfast. left early in the morning as soon as I could

Room Tip: Make sure you stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Abraham M
Reviewed 21 August 2013

On the 3rd of July i phoned Micheal and ordered two bedrooms, one for two people and one for three people. Both rooms were for two nights from the 16th of August. He told me the price would be £160, which i believed to be a reasonable price and reminded him two times if that was the right price for both rooms. I gave him my card details and made a payment. On the 13th of August i rang to say no payment had been taken from my account, the next day he took i payment of £365 pound. I was not happy, he had told me it was £160 but what else could you expect me to do 3 days before i was heading for London. When i arrived, i was taken to just one room with a double bed, single bed and a bunk. When asked if i could get two room as i ordered, we had two teenage girls who were not impressed with having to share the room with their parents and brother, i was told i would have to pay another £85 a night. the hotel wasn't even fully booked. So be careful when booking this b&b. Also the shower head was not working correctly and neither was the lock on the door.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank donnarey049
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I got to this place earlier than intended to find that I couldn't park outside as although they had spaces vans had blocked the dropped kerbs and left space next to them. Next I found out i was "in the apartment" not the main hotel and that this was very nice but a short journey away and near the main street.
A key was found and a member of staff was sent with me in the car to give me directions. After arriving at a house with flats he realised the key ring did not have a front door key on it so we had to drive back again (5min drive) and then return to the house once more. Once he had gone I realised my passenger seat was dirty as he was covered in dust. The room itself was ok but the bathroom, although clean, absolutely stank. I was here for 2 nights and as the hotel was now some distance away I did not bother driving back again.

I booked the hotel for it's proximity to Finchley Central station as I was meeting someone their however I was now near West Finchley station, not too far but annoying.

The hotel offers WiFi and breakfast but not in this house so that was not good.

From a security perspective I got back after midnight and found the front door wide open one night which is not great. Parking was on street and was difficult, this is London but the hotel mentions it has parking on it's description, another reason for booking in the first place.

I'll not be staying again, next time I will make certain I book early and get into the Comfort Inn just up the road.

Room Tip: If you must stay here make certain you are in the hotel building
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Demig_AIUK
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I must start by saying the owner (Michael) is one of the highlights of this hotel - extremely friendly and helpful, offering advice and suggestions to make our stay the best it could possibly be. The location is another major plus for staying at the Chumleigh Lodge Hotel. Situated in Finchley, only a 5 minute walk from Finchley Central Tube Station, it couldn't be better located when travelling from the North of England to London. Only 3 and a half hours from Lancashire and no need to tackle the hell on earth that is the M25. Free on site parking and only a short tube ride from many London attractions (such as Campden Town) makes this hotel an ideal base for trips to the Capital city. The only slight down side is the lack of airconditioning in our room which, on the hottest day of the year, made it quite a warm and stuffy experience. That said, the room was very clean and spacious. Overall a very pleasant stay was had by all.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends