“Excellent budget choice, incredibly friendly and accommodating staff”

Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park
Ranked #570 of 1,067 Hotels in London
York
“Excellent budget choice, incredibly friendly and accommodating staff”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed here for work. I requested a room on the quiet side after reading some of the reviews and promptly received an email back from reception with the confirmation that my room was on the quiet side (room 418; seems like the higher the room number and on even numbers, the quieter the room is).
My room was kept for me despite checking in very late. I did call ahead to inform them of this and as promised my room was kept for me.

Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They advised me of a great Indian Restaurant (curry special) around the corner of the hotel and phoned the restaurant to keep a table for me and my work colleague. The food was great in this restaurant and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Hotel is comfortable. Decent mattress, good shower, plenty of towels and very clean.
Breakfast isn't brilliant but was included in the price I paid. There is a continental selection, some yoghurts and fruit, sausages, beans, scrambled eggs, some decent coffees from the machine.
Parking was for free and there was loads of parking available in a decently lit parking place (outside, not garage) at the hotel.

Checkout was fast and efficient and again, staff was very friendly.
I would without a shadow of a doubt stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers on higher floors and the higher the room number, the further back to the bui...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank thebigtrip03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

I was warned about how noisy this hotel can be, but as I was on a budget I decided going against my better judgements.

My room was clean, warm and suitable for the price I paid in the location I was staying (zone 4 in London).

The problem with this hotel is that they have a conference suite below the rooms which, when I stayed, had a party which played ridiculously loud music till about 2am. Once the music was finally turned off we then had to deal with the noise from their guests leaving who were all standing below our hotel room window screaming and shouting as they were all so drunk. There were about 3 fights that erupted that I personally witnessed.

We could even see residents who live in the flats opposite throwing stuff at the guests below and telling them to shut up. We just ended up having to wait it out as management don't bother to control the situation.

When i phoned reception to complain the person on duty easentially said they couldnt do anything to help. I don't see why our custom is less important than the party goers?? I've heard the hotel has parties and noisy weddings every weekend and on Fridays too so it would be worth thinking about what day you decide to book your stay for if you want a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed December 2013
9 Thank M_InTheCity
Julio-Marques1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Drunkfimble,
I am sorry that you have experienced a less pleasant atmosphere when you last stayed at our Hotel.
Unfortunately due to the nature of the noise we are unable to control people leaving the premises from the banqueting venue without having uncalled for confrontations, therefore we avoid our staff from doing so.
We do have contract security in place that unfortunately in this occasion didn’t control the crowd but I can assure you the duty manager did his upmost to control the situation.

Hope you will not be deterred from using our facilities again in the future.

Kind regards

Fleetwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Spent few days here between Xmas and New Year. Great value for London and good location. Tube station just 5 minute walk and 40 mins from central London. Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms clean and comfortable beds. Breakfast was fine - sausage, scrambled eggs, beans, toast, croissants, fruit so enough to get you started for the day. Gants Hill is one stop away on the tube and has plenty of restaurants to choose from but there are a couple of curry houses within walking distance. Would definitely return. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 857louise
Navsari, Gujarat
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days during a business visit to London. The hotel's location is excellent and there are enough restaurants nearby.

The rooms are very clean and the daily service in-charge ensured that everything was in order.

The breakfast was good though it did not have too much variations on a daily basis.

The reception staff was very courteous and every query was answered to the note of satisfaction.

The only small drawback is that the Newbury Park tube station does not have escalator and so you will have to carry the luggage up the stairs. The hotel is walking distance from the tube station.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Stratford area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
WALSALL
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My wife and i stayed here for a couple of nights between Christmas and New Year to see a couple of shows in London...Hotel is very clean as are bedrooms, staff are friendly and helpful and car parking is free for residents....Also free all you can eat breakfast...Undergound is only a couple of minutes walk away....Will visit again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RALPHWalsall
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed here November 2013 for a stop-over for visiting London.
Had absolutely no problems and would highly recommend. Wonderfully modern interior, impeccably clean and comfortable. Reception staff were very friendly and welcoming. Room was light and the view over the city was beautiful. This hotel is in a great spot for visiting as was just a few minutes walk to the tube station. There were a few eateries nearby and we choose Mirage Steak Restaurant which was just a couple of minutes away.
Breakfast was plentiful, and I was pleasantly surprised as was expecting just a croissant and a coffee (as advertised as continental) however there was a good selection including some hot items (eggs, beans, sausages).
Plenty of parking available and this was charged at just £1 for 24 hours! (bargain!)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Claire P
Julio-Marques1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Drunkfimble,

Hope you will not be deterred from using our facilities again in the future.

Kind regards

Ascot, Berkshire
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We chose to stay at this property as we were in this part of London for a party. The hotel is easy to find and the car park was good value at just one pound for residents staying for 24 hours. The reception is on the first floor and we were checked in to our room on the top floor within a matter of minutes.

The hotel is your standard Holiday Inn Express type of room with a comfortable bed, nice bathroom with shower cubicle and free internet access. Our view was nice as it looked over London and towards Canary Wharf which was nice to see at night when it was lit up.

We skipped breakfast as we enjoyed a lie-in instead. However, no one told us that check-out was 11am and so our phone rang at 11am sharp with quite a discourteous member of staff telling us to get out or our credit card would be charged. When I explained we had only just woken up and thought check-out was 12 noon, he wasn’t interested in the slightest and said we had to leave. When we finally showered and packed and headed out at 11.30am or so he still continued to call our room and threaten us with credit card charges for late check-out, not even affording us the right to speak and just hanging up on us.

In all, the hotel is a nice one, it's just a shame about the over-zealous and rude staff member who needs to learn that customers have a choice when they stay at hotels and overstaying our welcome by a mere 30 minutes could have been handled with a little bit more diplomacy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ascottowers
Julio-Marques1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Ascottowers,

I would like to applogise on behalf of the Holiday Inn Express Newbury Park for the less charming events you have faced during your stay with us. As you probably noticed we praize ourselves for outstanding costumer service. I can assure you this is an isolated incident and not a normal pratice to such extend. We do have a strict policy on overstaying in your rooms purelly based in the fact that we have a busy hotel and loads of times guests like yourself requesting early check in, not easy to please all as you certainly will understand.
Thank you for your feedback.

Hope you visit us again in anear future.

General manager