“Magical”

Ranked #65 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Magical”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband, our baby boy and I stayed for a night at the Shangri-La at the Shard on the opening week. What an incredible hotel/experience/night!
The service, as always in a Shangri-La, is impeccable, you are greeted at the reception on 35th floor with the most incredible view. Our room wasn't ready so we got offered a tea and coffee by the restaurant, in front of the most incredible view of the Thames, Tower Bridge and The City.
The only bad thing about reception is that there is no baby facility, and changing our baby's nappy was really uncomfortable as I had to do it on the toilet floor near a window with the sun in my baby's face which made him really unhappy.
We were then taken into our room. Beautiful room, amazing bathroom where you can have a bath overlooking London!
Our room was a little bit small and looking at the floor plan, we seemed to have one of the smallest room on the floor which was a bit of a shame. Also the view, even though was breathtaking from the 47th floor, was of South London and not really interesting. We both agreed that it is worth paying extra to get the City view which is truly magical. There are binoculars in the room which is a nice touch.
We had lunch at the ground floor cafe, the cheeses and charcuterie were to die for. All sourced from Borough Market. Really good quality food. Afternoon tea is incredible, we went for the Asian one which gives the best of both worlds : Yummy dumplings without missing out on the British scones.
Dinner was delicious too. But not the finest food we have had, the desserts were not as tasty as we hoped for, and my meat was well done even though I asked for medium.
Breakfast in our room the next day didn't disappoint, I had a continental breakfast and my husband had an Asian breakfast, both were very good, served with a faultless service.
The hotel only has 200 rooms and feels intimate, the staff remembered us and our name, you won't be lost in the choice of restaurants as there are only a cafe, a restaurant and a bar. We didn't get to see the pool as it wasn't open which is a shame but all in all, amazing experience!

Room Tip: Do book a room overlooking The City!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Elmadav
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Elmadav,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to hear about your recent stay with us during our opening week.

I will pass on your kind words to the team and to the kitchen in particular.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Darren Gearing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Booked one night here for my husband's birthday. The hotel has only been open 4 days, so there were some minor teething problems (our room wasn't ready on arrival at 4.30pm, but they took us to the café on the ground floor and we had complimentary drinks while we were waiting. Also our bag was taken from us at the front door on arrival and wasn't in the room when we finally got it). The biggest disappointment was that the infinity pool will not be open until late summer 2014. I wasn't told this at the time of booking (received an email the day before we went to let us know). I expressed my disappointment and was immediately upgraded to compensate. We stayed in a Deluxe City View room (4604) and it honestly was fantastic. Incredible attention to detail in the room. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in and absolutely enormous, coffee facilities is a Nespresso machine in the room. The roll top bath stood at the end of the bathroom on its own with the whole of the City to take in. Tower Bridge looks magnificent. There were electric blinds on all the windows. My only criticism of this was that, in the bathroom, you could only either have all the blinds shut (partially shut) or open. It would have been much better if we could have been able to close the blinds individually. Something else that was really strange, if you stood at the window by the bath and looked up you could see the edge of someone elses room (I could see someone sat on their sofa!) which presumably meant if they stood at their window and looked down, if I didn't have the blinds shut they could see me in the bath!! From our bedroom if we looked down we could see into someone elses bathroom, very odd. Would have thought they'd have used the one way glass on the bathrooms, but apparently not! It wasn't a problem but it did mean we had to have the blinds partially closed for privacy. We wondered how many people realised this (or not!!) The toilet was an art on its own. With a control panel for all manner of washing facilities and deodorising/seat heating. We were unable to get booked in any of the Shard's restaurants but we came back after our meal and sat in Ting on the 35th floor for drinks which was really wonderful. It was dark by this point and a whole new scene to take in. Could have sat there for hours. The staff were really wonderful, attentive, extremely polite and really seemed to care that we had the best experience possible. We will definitely be staying here again. For a special occasion I think it would be hard to beat.

Room Tip: If you really want total privacy ask for a room that is not on a corner
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chillaxedLondon
Dear chillaxedLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with.

I do apologise that the infinity swimming pool was not available during your stay, I hope that it will be ready in time for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the not so distant future.

Kindest of regards,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Booked for my Birthday on the opening night. More than met expectations.

Flawless and friendly service.

Tea on arrival.

Binoculars in room.

Great restaurant (Ting) - will review separately.

Delighted that the Wifi was (a) complimentary and (b) ultra fast 100Mb up/down (c) easy to connect - no silly codes etc.

Exceptional views from room and reception, amazing furnishings and facilities.

Silence in the morning - no annoying birds and no traffic!

Friendly staff.

Only omission was that the 52nd floor pool was not yet in operation :-(

Will be returning for another birthday

Wow!

Room Tip: From the floor plans it looks like all rooms are good! We were on 49th floor - higher is probably b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Ray A
Dear Ray A,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to know that you had such a great stay for your birthday on our opening night. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations in all areas of the hotel and I am pleased that we did not disappoint.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!