“Fantastic 5*+ hotel”

Ranked #65 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Reading, United Kingdom
“Fantastic 5*+ hotel”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

From the moment the bell hop asks you for your name in terms of delivering your luggage from kerbside to room everyone gets advance notice so you enter the lobby and they know who you are, get out of the lift on the 35th floor and you are greeted by name. Check in and they send someone from housekeeping to check your room is ready (at 2.30- official check I time 3.00) and the charming French receptionist takes you to the panoramic windows and points out London landmarks. I was born in London so not a necessity, but charming for visitors.
Then we were escorted to our room and everything explained - and a pot of hot water and green tea arrived simultaneously in a bamboo and leather case. Wonderful views encompassing Elephant and Castle to the South, all across central London - London Eye, Post Office Tower, St Paul's , hampstead Heath, Wembley Stadium, the Gherkin..... Phenomenal. Very personal professional service without being sycophantic or fawning. Chocolates and replenished water with the turn down service.

The glass wall to the shower/ bathroom gives a wonderful view and you could if you wanted bathe looking out over London. A tip about the shower, if you turn the control to the left (anti clockwise) the water comes from a shower head on wall, if you turn it clockwise then it comes from a rain shower in the ceiling. Using the shower head on the wall and turning it off too enthusiastically means you get your hair drenched from the ceiling. Just be careful!

We asked if we could check out at 1.00 rather than 12.00- not a problem and the luggage all carried down and loaded into the car.

We were in a corner room and the glass 'shard' along the corners does indeed allow you to see into other rooms reflected in the glass. There are blinds but you don't necessarily want to pull them in the afternoon. It did not bother us, but just be carful if you are next to a corner room - you won't be visible from next door but from above and next door.

My comment of value is 4 because it is expensive but the experience was fabulous

Room Tip: The higher the better - although I don't think there is a bad height. The 'cheapest'...
1 Thank Alan W
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear AlanJWells,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased to know that you had such a great stay with us recently.

We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations in all areas of the hotel and we are delighted that we did not disappoint.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Darren Gearing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed during opening week and this was our third Shangri-La property so we knew what to expect customer service wise.

The hotel wasn't fully operational on the first weekend and we were sent an email a few days before arriving letting us know this fact. We had a corner room on the 47th floor and these rooms are very noisy and you can see into other rooms during the evening due to the glass reflections. You can read my full review here and check out my photos of the Shangri-La Shard.

Afternoon Tea in the Lounge was a mixed experience - the food was okay however the service was appalling, we waited for 1.5 hours to receive our afternoon tea. This should be one of the best Afternoon Tea's in London however it still has a long way to go unfortunately. You can read my full review on my blog here.

I think there is always going to be issues with the hotel due to the nature of the building especially with the reflections into other rooms as I am not sure how this is going to be fixed going forward.

I felt that the check in area was too small for the size of the hotel, maybe use the ground floor area for check in as standing around waiting was slightly annoying as you had to make small talk with the staff members when in all honestly we wanted to visit our room.

Personally I think this hotel opened too early and should have waited to make sure everything was operational. We did receive a discount on our room after we had the midnight fire alarm go off and also the reflections and noise due to the corner room.

Fingers crossed things will improve as I think there are a few teething issues in the restaurant and bugs with the building in general.

x

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms as the wind makes these rooms extra noisy and you can see into other rooms du...
1 Thank Kelly M
Dear Kelly M,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am disappointed to hear that you had a less than favourable experience with us.

To investigate these issues thoroughly and ensure this does not happen again would you let us know your contact information and details of the incident by calling +44(0) 207 234 8187 or emailing claire.hepworth@shangri-la.com?

I have noted your additional feedback and hope that if you visit us again we can deliver hospitality that is above and beyond your expectations.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I stayed on the 3rd of 4th night after it's opening with the 'Romance in the Clouds' package, which I thought was very good value. Positives include, superb dinner and breakfast in Ting, amazing massage (in room as the spa was not ready), very comfy bed, attentive and friendly service.

Negatives: We arrived after 5pm and couldn't yet check into our room, they clearly are still working through their processes and I expect they'll have the flow of guests in/out a little slicker in due course. Their lounge should be bigger to accommodate guests should the room not be ready and to reflect the quantity of rooms in the hotel (they were 50% open), we had to go to the public facing cafe. When told our room wasn't ready I don't want to feel like I should be grateful for a complimentary cup of coffee, I expect to be seated in a lounge with a free drink of my choice.

Pillows - I'm not sure if there was a pillow selection, we were only there for one night but a variety of pillows on the bed would be better, all the pillows in the room were too high for me and gave me neck ache.

The negatives are little, overall we had an amazing time and would return.

2 Thank Katherine G
Dear ikatie,

Thank you for reviewing Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I am pleased that you enjoyed the benefits of our Romance in the Clouds package.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not able to check-in to your room when you arrived and I do apologise for this.

I hope that you will consider coming back to visit again so we can deliver hospitality that is above and beyond your expectations.

Best regards,

Yerevan
Reviewed 14 May 2014

So far, we have not stayed at the hotel. However, we have enjoyed an absolutely perfect evening there, dining in the Tang Restaurant. From the moment of our arrival right through until our departure we were looked after perfectly. The level of attention was just right, and as for the food-it was indescribably good. The views from the restaurant (including the toilets!) is superb. There is a definite feeling of leaving behind the stress of London as soon as you step through the doors. The dishes are prepared with clear attention to detail, and the servings are not too large.

An excellent evening, well done to all the staff in the restaurant!

1 Thank John B
Dear John B,

Thank you for taking the time to review TING Restaurant.

I am extremely pleased to know that your visit was a success and that you enjoyed every aspect of it.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for one night this weekend to celebrate our anniversary, and what an amazing evening that was! The service, food and hotel lived up to its reputation and was impeccable. The views are amazing across London even from the 35th floor and I would definitely recommend Shangri-La to anyone. I can not wait for a return visit!

Dear Katie132014,

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I will make sure to pass on your kind words to the team.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Kindest of regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband, our baby boy and I stayed for a night at the Shangri-La at the Shard on the opening week. What an incredible hotel/experience/night!
The service, as always in a Shangri-La, is impeccable, you are greeted at the reception on 35th floor with the most incredible view. Our room wasn't ready so we got offered a tea and coffee by the restaurant, in front of the most incredible view of the Thames, Tower Bridge and The City.
The only bad thing about reception is that there is no baby facility, and changing our baby's nappy was really uncomfortable as I had to do it on the toilet floor near a window with the sun in my baby's face which made him really unhappy.
We were then taken into our room. Beautiful room, amazing bathroom where you can have a bath overlooking London!
Our room was a little bit small and looking at the floor plan, we seemed to have one of the smallest room on the floor which was a bit of a shame. Also the view, even though was breathtaking from the 47th floor, was of South London and not really interesting. We both agreed that it is worth paying extra to get the City view which is truly magical. There are binoculars in the room which is a nice touch.
We had lunch at the ground floor cafe, the cheeses and charcuterie were to die for. All sourced from Borough Market. Really good quality food. Afternoon tea is incredible, we went for the Asian one which gives the best of both worlds : Yummy dumplings without missing out on the British scones.
Dinner was delicious too. But not the finest food we have had, the desserts were not as tasty as we hoped for, and my meat was well done even though I asked for medium.
Breakfast in our room the next day didn't disappoint, I had a continental breakfast and my husband had an Asian breakfast, both were very good, served with a faultless service.
The hotel only has 200 rooms and feels intimate, the staff remembered us and our name, you won't be lost in the choice of restaurants as there are only a cafe, a restaurant and a bar. We didn't get to see the pool as it wasn't open which is a shame but all in all, amazing experience!

Room Tip: Do book a room overlooking The City!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Elmadav
Dear Elmadav,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to hear about your recent stay with us during our opening week.

I will pass on your kind words to the team and to the kitchen in particular.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

London
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Booked one night here for my husband's birthday. The hotel has only been open 4 days, so there were some minor teething problems (our room wasn't ready on arrival at 4.30pm, but they took us to the café on the ground floor and we had complimentary drinks while we were waiting. Also our bag was taken from us at the front door on arrival and wasn't in the room when we finally got it). The biggest disappointment was that the infinity pool will not be open until late summer 2014. I wasn't told this at the time of booking (received an email the day before we went to let us know). I expressed my disappointment and was immediately upgraded to compensate. We stayed in a Deluxe City View room (4604) and it honestly was fantastic. Incredible attention to detail in the room. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in and absolutely enormous, coffee facilities is a Nespresso machine in the room. The roll top bath stood at the end of the bathroom on its own with the whole of the City to take in. Tower Bridge looks magnificent. There were electric blinds on all the windows. My only criticism of this was that, in the bathroom, you could only either have all the blinds shut (partially shut) or open. It would have been much better if we could have been able to close the blinds individually. Something else that was really strange, if you stood at the window by the bath and looked up you could see the edge of someone elses room (I could see someone sat on their sofa!) which presumably meant if they stood at their window and looked down, if I didn't have the blinds shut they could see me in the bath!! From our bedroom if we looked down we could see into someone elses bathroom, very odd. Would have thought they'd have used the one way glass on the bathrooms, but apparently not! It wasn't a problem but it did mean we had to have the blinds partially closed for privacy. We wondered how many people realised this (or not!!) The toilet was an art on its own. With a control panel for all manner of washing facilities and deodorising/seat heating. We were unable to get booked in any of the Shard's restaurants but we came back after our meal and sat in Ting on the 35th floor for drinks which was really wonderful. It was dark by this point and a whole new scene to take in. Could have sat there for hours. The staff were really wonderful, attentive, extremely polite and really seemed to care that we had the best experience possible. We will definitely be staying here again. For a special occasion I think it would be hard to beat.

Room Tip: If you really want total privacy ask for a room that is not on a corner
1 Thank chillaxedLondon
Dear chillaxedLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with.

I do apologise that the infinity swimming pool was not available during your stay, I hope that it will be ready in time for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the not so distant future.

Kindest of regards,