“What a fantastic place to have lunch! Or dinner!”

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Ranked #66 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Myself and my colleague wento the Shangri-La Hotel for a show round with Jesus. Who was charming and showed us everything that the hotel has to offer. From the moment we arrived at the entrance we were greeted so warmly. The lift to the 35th floor took 6 seconds which was fascinating.

Thank you to all the staff, including Victor our waiter and Arnaud, Nataly, Erich, Catya all were amazing and so friendly without being to famililar, they were all so kind and knowledgeable about The Shangri-La.

The views are exquisite and it was just a mesmerasing place to be. We were there when the lightening struck and that was amazing, just could not believe how quickly the clouds and rain appeared . We had lovely lunch in Ting, we did not have a lot of time so went for the piccy bits rather than the full lunch but it was really good and the Turkish apple tea is one not to be missed.

I cannot wait to go back and try the cocktail bar/champagne lounge and afternoon tea with my friends and family.

It truly was a totally magical experience.

Thank you to everyone who made our time there so special.

Room Tip: We had a look at room 406 and it was really warm and welcoming and the views were wonderful.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Chrissy1615,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your lunch in TING and I will pass on your kind words to the team.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I treated myself (using my 3 year old son's Birthday as an excuse!), to lunch in Ting on Sat 17th May. We were greeted warmly by the doorman, the welcome staff on the ground floor, those on the 35th floor, and all the restaurant staff we met on our way to a lovely table for 2 in the north-east corner of the restaurant. The views of Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, HMS Belfast, the City, London Bridge, Canary Wharf etc etc, my son was spellbound for the 2 hours of our visit. There is a children's menu, as part of a creatively illustrated booklet, with varied and good-value choices. He was given colouring pencils to use with the menu booklet, which we took home with us as a souvenir. All the staff on duty, I can't remember all their names, but Arnaud, Nataly, Erich, Catya to name a few, were friendly, engaging, conversational without being overly familiar; I felt very comfortable to be eating in such a beautiful and smart environment with a just-turned 3 year old. The atmosphere is elegant, yet understated and the staff go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Our lunch was delicious, I had the heritage tomato with goat's cheese and pistachio to start with. Great flavours and textures and beautifully presented. My main course of risotto with white truffle was perfectly cooked and seasoned, and the truffle flavour was not overpowering and so complemented the vegetables. Before dessert, we were brought 4 small chocolate truffles on a Happy Birthday decorated plate, a lovely surprise and gesture. My son had ice cream with fresh berries, which he loved. I stuck to a double espresso, great flavour and temperature. I often find restaurant coffee has cooled down by the time it is brought to the table.

A small point - I asked for tap water, along with my glass of Austrian Gruener Veltliner (a personal favourite, which I was delighted to see on the menu), and the water that came was not chilled.

The view from the end cubicle of the ladies' toilet is great!

My son was given a soft-toy fox as a gift from the staff, do you remember the story of the urban fox cub that made its home in the higher floors of the unfinished building, eating builders' sandwiches? He features in the children's menu too!

I am looking forward to returning for dinner at sunset, afternoon tea with some girlfriends, and some drinks in the bar higher up in the hotel one evening to see London sparkle at night.

This restaurant is superb, I hope to become a fairly regular customer, and look forward to bringing friends and family here to share this gem.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane_McM
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Jane_McM,

Thank you for your recent review of TING. I am delighted to hear that both you and your son enjoyed your visit to celebrate his third birthday!

I will make sure to pass your kind words to Arnaud, Nataly, Erich and Catya and that they are recognised accordingly.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Service - good.
Views - spectacular especially at night.
Scored average because TV did not work despite staff saying they would fix it during our stay. We don't go to hotels to watch TV but when paying such a significant amount of money per night, would consider it a basic and so it took away from the "luxury"atmosphere a hotel like this should have. Also, as newly opened many facilities were unavailable which was slightly disappointing.

I must emphasise that the incredible night time views made up for these shortcomings.

4  Thank Claire T

Dear Claire T,

Thank you for your review.

I’m sorry that there were issues with your television during your stay and that we were not able to fix it. I have shared your comments with our maintenance team so this type of issue does not happen again.

I hope that you will consider coming back in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 May 2014

From the moment the bell hop asks you for your name in terms of delivering your luggage from kerbside to room everyone gets advance notice so you enter the lobby and they know who you are, get out of the lift on the 35th floor and you are greeted by name. Check in and they send someone from housekeeping to check your room is ready (at 2.30- official check I time 3.00) and the charming French receptionist takes you to the panoramic windows and points out London landmarks. I was born in London so not a necessity, but charming for visitors.
Then we were escorted to our room and everything explained - and a pot of hot water and green tea arrived simultaneously in a bamboo and leather case. Wonderful views encompassing Elephant and Castle to the South, all across central London - London Eye, Post Office Tower, St Paul's , hampstead Heath, Wembley Stadium, the Gherkin..... Phenomenal. Very personal professional service without being sycophantic or fawning. Chocolates and replenished water with the turn down service.

The glass wall to the shower/ bathroom gives a wonderful view and you could if you wanted bathe looking out over London. A tip about the shower, if you turn the control to the left (anti clockwise) the water comes from a shower head on wall, if you turn it clockwise then it comes from a rain shower in the ceiling. Using the shower head on the wall and turning it off too enthusiastically means you get your hair drenched from the ceiling. Just be careful!

We asked if we could check out at 1.00 rather than 12.00- not a problem and the luggage all carried down and loaded into the car.

We were in a corner room and the glass 'shard' along the corners does indeed allow you to see into other rooms reflected in the glass. There are blinds but you don't necessarily want to pull them in the afternoon. It did not bother us, but just be carful if you are next to a corner room - you won't be visible from next door but from above and next door.

My comment of value is 4 because it is expensive but the experience was fabulous

Room Tip: The higher the better - although I don't think there is a bad height. The 'cheapest'...
1  Thank Alan W

Dear AlanJWells,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am pleased to know that you had such a great stay with us recently.

We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations in all areas of the hotel and we are delighted that we did not disappoint.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed during opening week and this was our third Shangri-La property so we knew what to expect customer service wise.

The hotel wasn't fully operational on the first weekend and we were sent an email a few days before arriving letting us know this fact. We had a corner room on the 47th floor and these rooms are very noisy and you can see into other rooms during the evening due to the glass reflections. You can read my full review here and check out my photos of the Shangri-La Shard.

Afternoon Tea in the Lounge was a mixed experience - the food was okay however the service was appalling, we waited for 1.5 hours to receive our afternoon tea. This should be one of the best Afternoon Tea's in London however it still has a long way to go unfortunately. You can read my full review on my blog here.

I think there is always going to be issues with the hotel due to the nature of the building especially with the reflections into other rooms as I am not sure how this is going to be fixed going forward.

I felt that the check in area was too small for the size of the hotel, maybe use the ground floor area for check in as standing around waiting was slightly annoying as you had to make small talk with the staff members when in all honestly we wanted to visit our room.

Personally I think this hotel opened too early and should have waited to make sure everything was operational. We did receive a discount on our room after we had the midnight fire alarm go off and also the reflections and noise due to the corner room.

Fingers crossed things will improve as I think there are a few teething issues in the restaurant and bugs with the building in general.

x

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms as the wind makes these rooms extra noisy and you can see into other rooms du...
1  Thank Kelly M

Dear Kelly M,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am disappointed to hear that you had a less than favourable experience with us.

To investigate these issues thoroughly and ensure this does not happen again would you let us know your contact information and details of the incident by calling +44(0) 207 234 8187 or emailing claire.hepworth@shangri-la.com?

I have noted your additional feedback and hope that if you visit us again we can deliver hospitality that is above and beyond your expectations.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I stayed on the 3rd of 4th night after it's opening with the 'Romance in the Clouds' package, which I thought was very good value. Positives include, superb dinner and breakfast in Ting, amazing massage (in room as the spa was not ready), very comfy bed, attentive and friendly service.

Negatives: We arrived after 5pm and couldn't yet check into our room, they clearly are still working through their processes and I expect they'll have the flow of guests in/out a little slicker in due course. Their lounge should be bigger to accommodate guests should the room not be ready and to reflect the quantity of rooms in the hotel (they were 50% open), we had to go to the public facing cafe. When told our room wasn't ready I don't want to feel like I should be grateful for a complimentary cup of coffee, I expect to be seated in a lounge with a free drink of my choice.

Pillows - I'm not sure if there was a pillow selection, we were only there for one night but a variety of pillows on the bed would be better, all the pillows in the room were too high for me and gave me neck ache.

The negatives are little, overall we had an amazing time and would return.

2  Thank Katherine G

Dear ikatie,

Thank you for reviewing Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I am pleased that you enjoyed the benefits of our Romance in the Clouds package.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not able to check-in to your room when you arrived and I do apologise for this.

I hope that you will consider coming back to visit again so we can deliver hospitality that is above and beyond your expectations.

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

So far, we have not stayed at the hotel. However, we have enjoyed an absolutely perfect evening there, dining in the Tang Restaurant. From the moment of our arrival right through until our departure we were looked after perfectly. The level of attention was just right, and as for the food-it was indescribably good. The views from the restaurant (including the toilets!) is superb. There is a definite feeling of leaving behind the stress of London as soon as you step through the doors. The dishes are prepared with clear attention to detail, and the servings are not too large.

An excellent evening, well done to all the staff in the restaurant!

1  Thank John B

Dear John B,

Thank you for taking the time to review TING Restaurant.

I am extremely pleased to know that your visit was a success and that you enjoyed every aspect of it.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,