“One night at the shard.”

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Ranked #65 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had booked a city view and was not disappointed. Our room was amazing, as you would expect for the money. Only two small negatives. We only had three pots of milk for our coffee and tea, also I would have liked a mirror in the bedroom, as I like to sit down and put my make up on and not stand in bathroom. The breakfast was nice cooked English and a help yourself, as one can only describe as miniature pastries, yogurts and fruit. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: The city view is best so I believe. I think if you have a room on the other side it looks on to a ho...
1  Thank Diane M
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Diane M,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for the feedback regarding the in room mirror and the milk, I will pass on your comments to the management team. I am delighted that you found all of the staff to be “pleasant and helpful”.
I hope to welcome you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked a Deluxe City View room for 2 nights to celebrate my partner's birthday. We arrived about 90 mins before the official 3pm check in time in the hope that our room would be ready so that we could settle in, change and head out for a spot of lunch. Unfortunately, our room wasn't ready and we ended up leaving our luggage with reception. The weather wasn't as warm as I had expected and needed to retrieve a jumper from my case before leaving for lunch. My only criticism is that there are no changing facilities - just a single disabled toilet tucked away at the back of the coffee bar which even after a 10 min wait remained occupied. Having given up, I ended up having to resort to opening my case in the main lobby area and changing in a less than private environment.....not ideal!
As you enter the hotel, the lobby area smells really welcoming with a clean oriental feel. We were shown to our room which was amazing on the 49th floor and left to take in the views and luxurious surroundings. As a gesture, the staff had arranged a plate if fruit and cake for my partner which was a lovely touch. The view from our room was over Guys Hospital taking in the London Eye, Westminster, and the Tate but not far enough around to see Tower Bridge.
The bathroom was a bit tricky having to remember to drop the blinds in fear of the room next door or above being able to see in!!!! (We had been made aware of this).
We used the Gong Bar twice and had a lovely corner table on our first visit so that we were able to take in the night time views over the city.
All in all, a lovely hotel and would recommend for a special treat as it isn't cheap....but well worth a visit!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1VC
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear 1VC,

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to know that your overall visit to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London was a pleasant one and in particular both of your visits to GONG.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

A fantastic visit this weekend for my partner's birthday. Service and attention from everyone we encountered was second-to-none throughout. Yes the views are incredibly impressive, but they were matched (in my opinion) by the effort of the hotel staff and the 'little touches' throughout our stay.

We stayed on the 46th floor overlooking the City. Great views, very comfortable room. The flowers and birthday cake for my partner were well appreciated too. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone and we'll definitely be returning again.

1  Thank IanT_81

Dear IanT_81,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you had such a great stay to celebrate your partner’s birthday. I will pass on your praise to the whole team.

We hope to welcome you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed one night here recently. Directed to the 35th floor reception and stood there like a lemming looking at two empty reception desks. A couple of minutes later a staff member arrived to check me in. Not a great start. Couldn't fault the room on the 45th floor nor the view. Every conceivable need is looked after in regards to ammenities in the room itself. Bed and pillows very comfortable and a bathroom that was giggly good. But what on earth is the story with the carpet choice ? Cheapens the entire setting. So too the lack of attention to the ambeint air temperature in the common areas. I never thought I 'd work up a sweat waiting for a lift. Had a cocktail or 2 at GONG. Again pretty good but for the insincere and somewhat rude lady running the front door. Tall English lass from up North. As with the carpet in the room what is with the fake tea lights? If you can't have candles becasue of fire regulations (my guess) why bother trying to create an atmosphere with 1 GBP knockoffs? The two serving staff members we dealt with were superb. Dora and William. Check out the next morning was slower and more laborious than check in.....All up was it worth paying £500 for the experience? (that was just for the room and nothing else) Not so sure it was.

2  Thank nw05250

Dear nw05250,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your check-in and check-out experience was slower than usual, I have passed these comments on to the team.

I am delighted that Dora and William were “superb” and will be sure to pass on you kind comments to them both.

We hope that we may be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just left the Shangri-La and need to write this whilst it's fresh. This was my 60th birthday treat with my wife and three children. Our rooms were on the 41st floor facing towards the north west. Views were spectacular, and rooms furnished to the highest of standards. The overall service was attentive almost (but not) to a fault. Plenty of staff there at your whim and desire.

The Rooms have amazing faculties and it's hard to list them all. The heated toilet floors and seats, and TV in the mirror. Then super king size beds and overall luxury and excellent wi-fi and was amazing. But it just goes on and on...

An example of the degree of detail was a slight delay in getting into our rooms (less than 5mins) resulted in a letter of apology and 2 boxes of super macaroons - we were shocked and pleased as we had not even register an issue between ourselves - let alone the staff!

The restaurant is as you would expect at the high end of a 5 star hotel. A set menu of 4 courses and petite fours was £49 per head plus wine. Considering the service, setting, location and overall appointment if the Shangri-La, fantastic value. Our courses were: Smoked salmon, Crab, Steak, fruits and ice cream. Each course was sublime. My wife had requested a west facing table so we could watch the sunset that was just amazing.

Breakfast was no less interesting. Our teenage kids (twins 14 and a 16 year old) decided on the oriental breakfast with noodles, rice porridge and dim sum. Wow! Was the verdict, but the 1000 year old eggs did taste strange they said.

Needless to say our full English was the best of British ingredients.

Taking photos from the rooms is tough due to glass reflections and slightly fuzzy glass, but if you have an interest in photography and a camera you can do time exposures with, the night time photos can be amazing!

If you can't afford to stay there then at least try the Breakfast (Set price £38) , or just £11 more plus wine the evening set course. We intend to go for the £30 set lunch in the near future.

We live in Brighton, so traveling by train was a no brainier. From door to Hotel was 60mins.

Last but not least. Borough market is awesome for foodies and Tate Modern 12 mins walk away..

A special treat place for us and a must be for the Mega rich.

We will be back to eat at the fantastic restaurant.

Room Tip: Forth floor 4112 and 4113 if you need two rooms together with rooms overlooking north west London.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear TheWhitesofHove,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to know that you and your family had such a great stay with us during your birthday celebrations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Wow, loved the hotel. Birthday treat from my fantastic mum. I have been waiting on this hotel to open for over a year and it was well worth it. Check in was superb and quick. The reception staff show you to your room and go over all the facilities that are available at hotel (lovely touch). We have stayed in quite a few Shangri-La's around the world and they are quick to notice this. Lovely fruit basket in room along with a cake for my birthday. Room, was magnificent. 3 full length windows floor to ceiling, taking in a magnificent view of Big Ben, St Paul's Cathedral, the London Eye. Binoculars in the room which my mum and I used periodically throughout the day. We were on the 42nd floor (which had just been opened). We believe that the views here are better than the higher levels. Feels a bit strange at night, you almost feel as if you are sleeping in the air (a wonderful strange though!) Bathroom facilities were second to none, as was the turn down service at night. A few teething problems (however it had only just opened a few weeks before), our luggage took over an hour to arrive from the foyer, broken drawer in the room and the light outside our room did not seem to be working, other than that though it was great.
Breakfast was quick and the menu had a huge variety to choose from (whichever nationality you were from). It was all and more than I expected and my mum and I have lots of lovely memories of our overnight stay here.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a view of St Pauls if you can and pay the extra for that special room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Zoe B

Dear Zoe B,

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted to hear about your recent stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I will be sure to pass on your praise to the reception team in particular.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed for two nights at the Shangri-La in the The Shard.

The views are breathtaking, and the room that we had (a Deluxe City View room) offered spectacular views ranging from Alexandra Palace to the Houses of Parliament and the Millennium Eye all the way to Windsor Castle.

The hotel even provides binoculars in the room, which were handy so that we could watch the Tour de France roll by on the Embankment, whilst sipping champagne.

Breakfast in the Ting restaurant is good, but there are a number of issues with service.

We tried the in-room dining and had the tea, which at £58 was not cheap. Especially when we were told that it serves one. It doesn't. It comfortably serves two, so there's clearly a mistake on the menu (either in price, in quantity of food or in staff training)!

We booked a table at the Gong bar for one evening, which offers mesmerising views with drinks priced to match. This is well worth a visit, but I think that it is important to make sure that you ask for a window table, as the banquettes offer only a view of other people enjoying the real view!

The room is well appointed, as you'd expect, and the electrically operated blinds are very effective are making the room dark once you've finished staring at the view. The bath, however, is tiny - but the shower more than makes up for that.

There is decent coffee in the room.

The only reason that the Shangri-La didn't score a five star rating was down to the fact that the staff just need a little bit of extra training. The overall effect is magnificent, and the staff are friendly and helpful, but they're just getting too many little details wrong at the moment, which is understandable as it's only just opened.

Did it deliver as a magical location to celebrate our wedding anniversary? Absolutely.

Would I stay there again? An unreserved yes.

This will be an excellent hotel, once the opening kinks are worked out.

Room Tip: Make sure that you book a City View room. The other views are very good, but with the City View y...
1  Thank DandEHants
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear DandEHants,

Thank you for your recent review. We are pleased to know that your overall stay was an enjoyable one but thank you for sharing your comments regarding some service issues, I have passed on your feedback to the team.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the not so distant future.

Darren, Darren Gearing, General Manager