“Worth it for the view but check in and out leaves much to be desired.”

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Ranked #67 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Home counties
“Worth it for the view but check in and out leaves much to be desired.”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Shangri-La is a great hotel chain, which I have used and will continue to use in future. Their standards for the price in the Asia-Pacific region are excellent. The Shard has all the feel of a Shangri-La in Hong Kong or Singapore. The hotel is very new and is nearing completion. My king-size deluxe room on the 39th floor was excellent, looking west to Blackfriars with the Thames, London Eye, Parliament and Somerset House providing a vista to die for. I am not sure there is much benefit from being higher because the heat haze eventually limited the view on a wonderfully hot July day.

The bathroom is well equipped, although I couldn’t get my hand held shower to work. The blinds worked well as did everything else in a room that had only been completed for a few months. The bed is very comfortable, towels, bathrobes etc are all first class.

The 52nd floor bar would look at home in Hong Kong or Singapore. The music was rather loud at 00:30 but the cocktails were reassuringly expensive to pay for the view. Service was OK and the experience was marred only by a group of very loud and over-indulged customers.

My two gripes were with check in and check out. A passport or some other form of photo ID was required for check in. I have never had to provide that to check into a hotel in my own country. I was let in after providing credit cards and the Shangri-La loyalty card. On checking out I had to sign the bill, which had a statement to the effect that I am personally liable for this bill if American Express goes belly up or Shangri-La staff perform some sort of fraud that may divert my funds from settling the account. Complete nonsense but it leaves a nasty feeling on departure.

The Shard is a very special place to stay and worth it.

1 Thank Rave54
ShangriLaLondon, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Rave54,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London but I am disappointed to hear that you experienced a less than favourable check-in and check-out.

I hope that you will consider coming back in the near future so that we can make up for this regrettable incident.

Regards,
Jurgen Ammerstorfer, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Wow the views from this hotel are unbelievable. What a great location close to the underground , close to the borough market . The hotel is comfortable, the room isn't huge (standard room) but adequate. Room make up happened late most days and supervisors would regularly knock and check we were happy. The gym is small and not big enough , pool wasn't ready yet. The breakfast was great, relatively small buffet but so fresh and good and a freshly cooked offer on any eggs you could think of. Stayed in many shangri la's and this will get there eventually

Room Tip: City view is a must
Dear Chooker20,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your overall stay with us at the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I am sorry that you were not able to experience the pool on this occasion, but it will be open on 11th August and we hope that you will return to enjoy it then.

I hope to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Kindest regards,
London
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great hotel, only stayed for one night so didn't utilise all of the available facilities.
Room was heaven, EVERYTHING, you could possibly need. Enormous comfy bed, we had a larger west facing room, so the view was fabulous. TV in the mirror in the bathroom, heated loo seat (shocked me at first, lol!) bathrobe and kimono, espresso machine, aqua de Palma toiletries, bath salts, lavender and tonga bean choccies, fruit plate etc... Courteous staff, very nice concierge who phoned round to find us a dinner reservation.

Dear singingjojo,

Thank you for your kind review. I am thrilled to know that your stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London was enjoyable and I will pass on your comments to the concierge team.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes,

Swindon - England
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I plus her brother's family from Australia - 2 adults- 2 children stayed one night at The Shard. It was to celebrate my wife's and I, 25th wedding anniversary. We decided to book this unique experience having read a recent article in The Times Newspaper a few weeks ago. We were not dissapointed. We had 3 rooms, 2 adjoining on the 41st floor. Our rooms overlooked Tower Bridge and beyond. The corner room was simply fantastic and each room had every amneity you could wish for. Because we had children in our party we could not visit the bar. But this did not stop us from enjoying ourselves as we all settled in one room with wine and beer to celebrate our actual 25th anniversary date. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis. The choice at breakfast was superb and the standard of food was excellent. Again the view was fantastic. The service in the breakfast area varied from superb to indifferent. But it did not spoil our enjoyment of a unique experience. If you have something to celebrate then do yourself a favour and give yourself and other's a treat. You certainly won;t regret it. And in doing so you will see London in a completely different way.

Room Tip: Try and get a corner room. They are huge with fantastic views.
Dear wila,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you and your family chose to celebrate your wedding anniversary with us and that the experience was “unique”.

I hope to see you again soon at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Best regards,
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Shagri La with my son, the staff were exceptional especially Arik, the Front Office Manager. The hotel is luxurious, the rooms have amazing views and also have character-which is sometimes hard to achieve in a very modern hotel. The bar is vibrant. The breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear FLacey,

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted that you and your son both enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your praise to Arik.
I hope to welcome you back again soon at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.
Yours sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed in Shangri-La just for one night as I was traveling with my company from US back to poland. I was blown away ... what an amazing service we had, we have hours before chek in time but there was no rpblem, Mr. Arik, fron of the house manager took amazing care of us, rooms are fantastic and huge ...I dont have to mention the view. You must stay there!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
ShangriLaLondon, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Luke W,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that your recent stay with us for business was an enjoyable experience and in particular that you thought the service was “amazing”, I will pass on your kind praise to Arik.

I hope to welcome you back again to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Yours sincerely,

jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here for one night and had such a lovely time. The reception is on the 35th floor and we had to take the lift up – wow, it only takes about 18 seconds and makes your ears pop!! Very impressive reception area and the views are stunning. We had a very friendly and professional welcome and were delighted to learn that our room was ready even though it was a few hours before the official check in time.
We had booked a Deluxe City View room on the 47th floor and it was fantastic. Obviously there were wonderful views of some of the iconic landmarks through the enormous windows and the in room binoculars allowed us to see them more clearly. The room itself was very large and stylish, nicely furnished with some lovely little touches and just really all round fabulous! The bathroom was also amazing with the free standing bath in the window, what a great idea, the huge shower, heated toilet seats and tv in the mirror!
We had cocktails in Gong that evening which was very busy but understandably so and we were glad we had reserved a table in advance. Great ambience, amazing views, excellent service and the cocktails were lovely.
We were very disappointed that the infinity pool was behind schedule and not yet open, but I went to the gym instead and although it is compact, it has the most up to date machines and everything you need for a good workout and of course, the views help!
Breakfast in Ting was marvellous; the restaurant itself is quite stunning and we were lucky enough to have a window seat. The food was buffet style and was spread out at various stations throughout the restaurant. I must admit that my first impression was that there was not an awful lot of choice, but it was so beautifully presented and tasted so delicious that it didn’t really matter! I particularly liked the fact they had mini Eggs Benedict and also huge Portobello mushrooms instead of the run of the mill types! The service was excellent too and actually all the staff without exception throughout the hotel were so friendly and helpful.
We had a wonderful weekend and it really is Shangri-La!

1 Thank jerseykathyl
Dear jerseykathyl,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I am sorry that the pool was not ready for your stay, we hope that you will come back after it opens on 11th August to experience it.

I hope to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Kindest regards,