“Wedding anniversary”

Ranked #64 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
“Wedding anniversary”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the shard last night (Saturday) for our first anniversary. Everything was spectacular! Check in were lovely
And showed us to our room. The room was comfy and modern and the view was out of this world. Lovely big bed and comfortable cushions. We had a corner room and could see half of London - wonderful! We found ourselves sitting looking the whole time the free binoculars were very much used! The showering experience was amazing very powerful and again brilliant views. You could see into the rooks adjacent but if you didn't want to be seen you just put the blinds down - easy enough! We had free fruit water coffee in the room also. Once we checked in within 2 hours we had a knock on the door it was a lovely gentleman with a card, cupcakes and sparkling rose for our anniversary - really special touch and best cupcake I have ever eaten! I also received flowers in the room which were beautiful. as part of the package we had a massage which was very relaxing. Our evening meal and breakfast at ting were lovely. Plenty of choice and all cooked to perfection. Best tea I have ever drunk and the petit fours after the evening meal were a delight. Big thanks to Luigi who served us and made both meals personal and friendly - we really felt he enjoyed his job and always served with a smile and conversation. The staff at the gong bar were lovely also. We did not book a table but were seated anyway during a gap and we enjoyed two lovely cocktails without being rushed. Views from here at night are incredible. Seeing London lit up in a vibrant bar was lovely. The free chilli crackers and crisp went down a treat too. Our whole stay was perfect and the views made it even better. Such a lovely hotel and team - the whole time staff greeted us so nicely. I am trying to persuade the husband to take me there every anniversary!! Thanks to everyone for giving us a very special weekend!

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank shell08_12
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear shell08_12,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to hear that we were able to make your recent anniversary a special one. We hope to welcome you back to celebrate next year here at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London

Kindest regards,

Darren Gearing, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2014

What can I say about a hotel with the best view of London, ever... But wow. Great property, with a great location just two blocks away from the market. The service at Shangri-La never disappoints, but the view here steals the show. The rooms are beautifully decorated, with automatically closing blinds on every window. It reminded me a little of the Trump Tower in SoHo, New York. The only complaint I have is that we stayed in July, and the pool was still not open. They must have had some issue, as it's several months late. I would have liked to have seen the pool, I hear it's and infinity pool on the 52nd floor.

Overall a great stay, wonderful staff, (we even saw some of the staff from Shangri-La Paris working at the hotel), and the best view in London.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room with a view of Tower Bridge.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Maxximvs
Dear Maxximvs,

Thank you for your kind review. I am thrilled to know that your stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London was a pleasant one but apologise that the pool was not ready for your stay, we hope you will come back after it opens on 11th August.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We were visiting London for our first time and wanted a place to get a view of the sit. A mutual friend suggested this place. First of all, the hotel itself is unbelievable. You take a lift up to The Shard and can either sit in the restaurant or the bar area. Pick the bar...the view is breathtaking! We each had a glass of champagne and enjoyed the view. You can see the whole city and a great view of London Bridge. One of my favorite things we did the whole trip! Please keep in mind that they do have a dress code. No flip flops aloud...didn't see anyone in jeans. All three of us had on dresses and cardigans. Not dressed up but certainly polished looking. Also, probably a good idea to get there before the after work rush begins. We were there around 6pm and had no problem getting a table. Great service. One of the highlights of our trip. Highly recommend!

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank MES813
Dear MES813,

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit and in particular the champagne in GONG.

I hope to see you again soon at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Best regards.

JAKARTA
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The newly opened Shangri-la Shard is 5-star luxury hotel in London, the highest hotel in this city and probably the only one that offers a truely panoramic view of London. Shangri-la has steadily upgrade their tier from mid-range luxury towards the high end and the result is gradually starting to show in their newly opened properties.

Arrival

I transfer from the Savoy where I stayed 4 nights to the new Shangri-la by car. On arrival, the bellman took my luggage and I proceed to the 35th lobby for check-in. Check-in formalities was quick as there was no queue. The Front Office Manager came over to introduce himself and then a staff escorted me to my room at the 42nd floor. I was also briefed on the features of the room and she bid me a good stay before leaving.

The “Iconic City View” room

I specifically requested this room type as after studying the hotel website, this is the room type that boast the best view in the hotel. I was not disappointed. The room is very spacious and resembles a junior suite with a large king side bed, a walk in closet, nice fully marble bathroom with rainshower, big soaking tub and even TV embedded in the vanity glass. That’s a TV, a writing desk and a Nepresso coffee machine, all expected for a high end hotel. Material are of reasonably good if not of high end quality. The décor is contemporary cookie cutter style and frankly lacks character of any kind to reflect that it’s actually in this wonderful city of London.

At the end of the day, perhaps one should just forget about being fussy on the dull room décor or features because what really steals the show here is clearly the view. With 3 full size floor to ceiling wall of glass, it captures a 270Deg panoramic view of London right under my feet. I checked in during the afternoon and the view is already very nice and I can identify all the famous landmarks of London such as the London bridge, the London Train station, the St Paul Cathedral’s etc.

By evening and nightfall, the view is literally breath-taking ( see photos ) as all the lights lid up at night. This is quite possibly one of the three nicest hotel views from the room I have encountered so far. I took the opportunity to take many photos with my camera.

For a newly opened hotel, everything seems to run well in the room. Wifi is free and very fast. Water pressure is reassuring great. Premium toiletries from Aqua di Parma provided. Bed is comfortable but fall short of the super comfortable bed at their sister property in Tokyo. Strangely missing in the room is a DVD player and tea bags. No sugar was provided also for the coffee. Perhaps the housekeeping staff just forgotten. Also be aware that due to the shape of the building, it is possible for your neighbours to peek into your room and vice versa. When not enjoying the view, it is better to leave the side blinds closed.

Common Areas and Location

The hotel only has one lounge and restaurant, ie the Ting. It was very busy in the late evening as many outside guests comes here to dine and enjoy the view. I tried dinner here and the food is great. However, breakfast is rather mediocre and lacks variety. The hotel have a small gym at the 52nd floor that also has a bar. The infinity skypool is unfortunately not opened yet during my stay.

The hotel is located a bit out of the way at the Shard. At the moment, the Shard is basically an office tower + hotel with some restaurants. Really nothing much of interest here. There is an interesting Borough market just across the street selling various ingredients, spices and exotic produce.

As a hotel chain which primarily clientele will probably be Asian guests, they really should have opened a Chinese restaurant here.

Service is as expected good but not exceptional for a Shangri-la and somehow robotic. A lot of Asian staff here as many clients were from the East. Staff are generally polite and friendly but they do not attend to request quickly enough, maybe because they are so new. Dinner at the Ting is very nice with good food and excellent service.

Conclusion

Shangri-la The Shard is a nice hotel with a great view. But other than that, it’s a template luxury hotel that can be found anywhere in the world and lacks charm and character. Put it this way, other than the view, it’s actually boring. The location doesn’t help either. I stayed for only one night and the feeling is that it’s been there, done that. The hotel needs to bring more to the table if they intend to attract repeat guests. Final Score 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: Book the Iconic view rooms. Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank BENLEE123
Dear BENLEE123,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am pleased that overall your stay was enjoyable and would like to thank you for sharing all of your feedback, particularly regarding general speed of service, which I have passed on to our management team.

I hope that you will come back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Home counties
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Shangri-La is a great hotel chain, which I have used and will continue to use in future. Their standards for the price in the Asia-Pacific region are excellent. The Shard has all the feel of a Shangri-La in Hong Kong or Singapore. The hotel is very new and is nearing completion. My king-size deluxe room on the 39th floor was excellent, looking west to Blackfriars with the Thames, London Eye, Parliament and Somerset House providing a vista to die for. I am not sure there is much benefit from being higher because the heat haze eventually limited the view on a wonderfully hot July day.

The bathroom is well equipped, although I couldn’t get my hand held shower to work. The blinds worked well as did everything else in a room that had only been completed for a few months. The bed is very comfortable, towels, bathrobes etc are all first class.

The 52nd floor bar would look at home in Hong Kong or Singapore. The music was rather loud at 00:30 but the cocktails were reassuringly expensive to pay for the view. Service was OK and the experience was marred only by a group of very loud and over-indulged customers.

My two gripes were with check in and check out. A passport or some other form of photo ID was required for check in. I have never had to provide that to check into a hotel in my own country. I was let in after providing credit cards and the Shangri-La loyalty card. On checking out I had to sign the bill, which had a statement to the effect that I am personally liable for this bill if American Express goes belly up or Shangri-La staff perform some sort of fraud that may divert my funds from settling the account. Complete nonsense but it leaves a nasty feeling on departure.

The Shard is a very special place to stay and worth it.

1 Thank Rave54
ShangriLaLondon, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Rave54,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London but I am disappointed to hear that you experienced a less than favourable check-in and check-out.

I hope that you will consider coming back in the near future so that we can make up for this regrettable incident.

Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Wow the views from this hotel are unbelievable. What a great location close to the underground , close to the borough market . The hotel is comfortable, the room isn't huge (standard room) but adequate. Room make up happened late most days and supervisors would regularly knock and check we were happy. The gym is small and not big enough , pool wasn't ready yet. The breakfast was great, relatively small buffet but so fresh and good and a freshly cooked offer on any eggs you could think of. Stayed in many shangri la's and this will get there eventually

Room Tip: City view is a must
Dear Chooker20,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your overall stay with us at the Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I am sorry that you were not able to experience the pool on this occasion, but it will be open on 11th August and we hope that you will return to enjoy it then.

I hope to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Kindest regards,
London
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great hotel, only stayed for one night so didn't utilise all of the available facilities.
Room was heaven, EVERYTHING, you could possibly need. Enormous comfy bed, we had a larger west facing room, so the view was fabulous. TV in the mirror in the bathroom, heated loo seat (shocked me at first, lol!) bathrobe and kimono, espresso machine, aqua de Palma toiletries, bath salts, lavender and tonga bean choccies, fruit plate etc... Courteous staff, very nice concierge who phoned round to find us a dinner reservation.

Dear singingjojo,

Thank you for your kind review. I am thrilled to know that your stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London was enjoyable and I will pass on your comments to the concierge team.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes,