“Best Hotel In London!”

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Ranked #65 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here from 01/08-03/08/14 and from the moment you walk in you know you're somewhere special. Check in takes place with a few clicks of an iPad while a delightful member of staff takes you on a tour of the Hotel and your room. I was quickly whisked up to the 44th floor of the Shard where my room was located and another lady greets us with beautiful complimentary Chinese Tea (a really nice touch). My room (Deluxe City View) was one of the most spacious in London in it's class and the bathroom was huge! Both were an example of superlative sumptuous luxury indicative of the Worlds leading 5* Hotels!

Now the view; breathtaking! From my room I had a north easterly views of the entire city with some of London's most famous landmarks visible (Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Gherkin and Canary Wharf to name but a few) and the binoculars provided by the hotel in the room were put to good use. After lunch at Ting (separate less impressive review) i met family in Gong (the hotel bar) which is supposedly the highest located bar in Europe on floor 53 of the Shard, and as expected the bar, drinks and staff were first class with staff clearly encouraged to show a little of their own personality, which is nice and less stiff than other 5* hotels I've stayed in. We even got a late night tour of the infinity pool due to open on August 11th.

Having stayed in many 5* Hotel's (Park Lane Hilton, Ritz-Carlton, Atheneum) I can honestly say few have impressed me as much as Shangri La and their staff, the London Hilton on Park Lane comes closest but I know where I will be staying on my future London trips... Thank you Shangri La.

Room Tip: ALWAYS ask for a city view room as Southernly view rooms are of Surrey and Kent.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank RJV1989
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear RJV1989,

Thank you for your kind review. I am extremely pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would be delighted to welcome you back on your future London trips to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had a very warm welcome from the moment I arrived, on foot, from the station next door. I was efficiently whisked up to the lobby level where I was met by knowledgeable staff who were very helpful. My room was lovely - muted honey and copper tones and a free standing tub with amazing views over Tower Bridge. The whole room was bright and there was a well equipped bathroom. It had all the hi-tech facilities I would accept and complimentary Wi-Fi (SO important in all hotels these days in my opinion)..
I had arranged to meet friends in Gong bar on the 52nd floor that evening. This is a glam bar and as such is somewhat of an attraction because it is new, and of course has the amazing views. It may be an idea to book a table on check in given the demand. We had great cocktails and the ambience was very pleasant. The waitress we had was exceptional. sorry I can't remember her name to give her a shout out!
I had a great night's sleep and was refreshed next morning.
I can definitely recommend this hotel very highly. It's luxurious, friendly and of very high quality. I plan to return when the pool etc is finished (it may be already open by now).

Room Tip: Any room facing the river Thames, either west or east,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HongKongFan
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear HongKongFan,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and in particular your drinks in GONG. I will pass on your kind praise to the whole team.

I hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Obviously the main reason for staying at the Shard is the view and it is every bit as good as promised. The hotel starts on level 35 for the reception and main restaurant and continues to level 50 or so where there is a cocktail bar (be sure to reserve in advance, even as a hotel guest).

Decor is fairly light and modern, mildly Asian in style and totally in keeping with the building, although I would have preferred to see a more location oriented theme, though obviously you can't forget where you are given the view. Service and rooms are impeccable if impersonal.

Borough market, the Tate modern and the Globe are all within easy walking distance, though major shopping areas are quite a trek.

Definitely worth doing once, not sure I would return other than to the cocktail bar.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BonsaiGirl,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found the service and rooms to be ‘impeccable’.

I do hope that we will see you again soon at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Best regards.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the shard last night (Saturday) for our first anniversary. Everything was spectacular! Check in were lovely
And showed us to our room. The room was comfy and modern and the view was out of this world. Lovely big bed and comfortable cushions. We had a corner room and could see half of London - wonderful! We found ourselves sitting looking the whole time the free binoculars were very much used! The showering experience was amazing very powerful and again brilliant views. You could see into the rooks adjacent but if you didn't want to be seen you just put the blinds down - easy enough! We had free fruit water coffee in the room also. Once we checked in within 2 hours we had a knock on the door it was a lovely gentleman with a card, cupcakes and sparkling rose for our anniversary - really special touch and best cupcake I have ever eaten! I also received flowers in the room which were beautiful. as part of the package we had a massage which was very relaxing. Our evening meal and breakfast at ting were lovely. Plenty of choice and all cooked to perfection. Best tea I have ever drunk and the petit fours after the evening meal were a delight. Big thanks to Luigi who served us and made both meals personal and friendly - we really felt he enjoyed his job and always served with a smile and conversation. The staff at the gong bar were lovely also. We did not book a table but were seated anyway during a gap and we enjoyed two lovely cocktails without being rushed. Views from here at night are incredible. Seeing London lit up in a vibrant bar was lovely. The free chilli crackers and crisp went down a treat too. Our whole stay was perfect and the views made it even better. Such a lovely hotel and team - the whole time staff greeted us so nicely. I am trying to persuade the husband to take me there every anniversary!! Thanks to everyone for giving us a very special weekend!

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank shell08_12

Dear shell08_12,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to hear that we were able to make your recent anniversary a special one. We hope to welcome you back to celebrate next year here at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

What can I say about a hotel with the best view of London, ever... But wow. Great property, with a great location just two blocks away from the market. The service at Shangri-La never disappoints, but the view here steals the show. The rooms are beautifully decorated, with automatically closing blinds on every window. It reminded me a little of the Trump Tower in SoHo, New York. The only complaint I have is that we stayed in July, and the pool was still not open. They must have had some issue, as it's several months late. I would have liked to have seen the pool, I hear it's and infinity pool on the 52nd floor.

Overall a great stay, wonderful staff, (we even saw some of the staff from Shangri-La Paris working at the hotel), and the best view in London.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room with a view of Tower Bridge.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Maxximvs

Dear Maxximvs,

Thank you for your kind review. I am thrilled to know that your stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London was a pleasant one but apologise that the pool was not ready for your stay, we hope you will come back after it opens on 11th August.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We were visiting London for our first time and wanted a place to get a view of the sit. A mutual friend suggested this place. First of all, the hotel itself is unbelievable. You take a lift up to The Shard and can either sit in the restaurant or the bar area. Pick the bar...the view is breathtaking! We each had a glass of champagne and enjoyed the view. You can see the whole city and a great view of London Bridge. One of my favorite things we did the whole trip! Please keep in mind that they do have a dress code. No flip flops aloud...didn't see anyone in jeans. All three of us had on dresses and cardigans. Not dressed up but certainly polished looking. Also, probably a good idea to get there before the after work rush begins. We were there around 6pm and had no problem getting a table. Great service. One of the highlights of our trip. Highly recommend!

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank MES813

Dear MES813,

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit and in particular the champagne in GONG.

I hope to see you again soon at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Best regards.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The newly opened Shangri-la Shard is 5-star luxury hotel in London, the highest hotel in this city and probably the only one that offers a truely panoramic view of London. Shangri-la has steadily upgrade their tier from mid-range luxury towards the high end and the result is gradually starting to show in their newly opened properties.

Arrival

I transfer from the Savoy where I stayed 4 nights to the new Shangri-la by car. On arrival, the bellman took my luggage and I proceed to the 35th lobby for check-in. Check-in formalities was quick as there was no queue. The Front Office Manager came over to introduce himself and then a staff escorted me to my room at the 42nd floor. I was also briefed on the features of the room and she bid me a good stay before leaving.

The “Iconic City View” room

I specifically requested this room type as after studying the hotel website, this is the room type that boast the best view in the hotel. I was not disappointed. The room is very spacious and resembles a junior suite with a large king side bed, a walk in closet, nice fully marble bathroom with rainshower, big soaking tub and even TV embedded in the vanity glass. That’s a TV, a writing desk and a Nepresso coffee machine, all expected for a high end hotel. Material are of reasonably good if not of high end quality. The décor is contemporary cookie cutter style and frankly lacks character of any kind to reflect that it’s actually in this wonderful city of London.

At the end of the day, perhaps one should just forget about being fussy on the dull room décor or features because what really steals the show here is clearly the view. With 3 full size floor to ceiling wall of glass, it captures a 270Deg panoramic view of London right under my feet. I checked in during the afternoon and the view is already very nice and I can identify all the famous landmarks of London such as the London bridge, the London Train station, the St Paul Cathedral’s etc.

By evening and nightfall, the view is literally breath-taking ( see photos ) as all the lights lid up at night. This is quite possibly one of the three nicest hotel views from the room I have encountered so far. I took the opportunity to take many photos with my camera.

For a newly opened hotel, everything seems to run well in the room. Wifi is free and very fast. Water pressure is reassuring great. Premium toiletries from Aqua di Parma provided. Bed is comfortable but fall short of the super comfortable bed at their sister property in Tokyo. Strangely missing in the room is a DVD player and tea bags. No sugar was provided also for the coffee. Perhaps the housekeeping staff just forgotten. Also be aware that due to the shape of the building, it is possible for your neighbours to peek into your room and vice versa. When not enjoying the view, it is better to leave the side blinds closed.

Common Areas and Location

The hotel only has one lounge and restaurant, ie the Ting. It was very busy in the late evening as many outside guests comes here to dine and enjoy the view. I tried dinner here and the food is great. However, breakfast is rather mediocre and lacks variety. The hotel have a small gym at the 52nd floor that also has a bar. The infinity skypool is unfortunately not opened yet during my stay.

The hotel is located a bit out of the way at the Shard. At the moment, the Shard is basically an office tower + hotel with some restaurants. Really nothing much of interest here. There is an interesting Borough market just across the street selling various ingredients, spices and exotic produce.

As a hotel chain which primarily clientele will probably be Asian guests, they really should have opened a Chinese restaurant here.

Service is as expected good but not exceptional for a Shangri-la and somehow robotic. A lot of Asian staff here as many clients were from the East. Staff are generally polite and friendly but they do not attend to request quickly enough, maybe because they are so new. Dinner at the Ting is very nice with good food and excellent service.

Conclusion

Shangri-la The Shard is a nice hotel with a great view. But other than that, it’s a template luxury hotel that can be found anywhere in the world and lacks charm and character. Put it this way, other than the view, it’s actually boring. The location doesn’t help either. I stayed for only one night and the feeling is that it’s been there, done that. The hotel needs to bring more to the table if they intend to attract repeat guests. Final Score 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: Book the Iconic view rooms. Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank BENLEE123

Dear BENLEE123,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am pleased that overall your stay was enjoyable and would like to thank you for sharing all of your feedback, particularly regarding general speed of service, which I have passed on to our management team.

I hope that you will come back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.

Yours sincerely,