“Great views”

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Ranked #66 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The best part of the hotel is the views, though the rooms are fantastic, having a bath looking over the city is a special experience especially if you are used to more modest hotels. The bed was extremely comfortable. We overlooked the city and Tower Bridge and it was wonderful to view a London which one knows so well from a different perspective. Staff were helpful.
Hope to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Blackfriars1,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to know that you’re recent stay with us was a pleasant one and that you found the staff to be helpful.

I hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I could not possibly find fault with this hotel or its staff. The staff are extremely attentive and helpful. We were taken to our room by a member of staff in the fastest and smoothest lift I have ever been in. In fact when descending my ears popped. The rooms are spotless and have everything you need from food to slippers. The toilet was a source of entertainment for my son as it had several buttons for washing you and had a heated seat. The full length windows from ceiling to floor give great views even in the bath, but there are privacy blinds if you are paranoid someone might see you on the 52nd floor!! The location is perfect for exploring London's historical attractions and is next to a tube station. A gruelling day of sight seeing around London was rounded off with a champagne cocktail in the bar looking out at the Tower of London. Perfect. The view from the room is spectacular at night seeing a fabulous sunset and then London all lit up. A stunning building and hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nelly015
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear nelly015,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us recently and especially that you found the staff to be ‘extremely attentive and helpful’, I will pass on your kind praise to the team.

I hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We arrived on foot and hung around at an empty desk on the ground level until a helpful porter suggested that if we took the lift to level 35 we could book in. Not a good start. On level 35 there were two check in desks with a smartly dressed lady behind each, both on the phone! Several minutes passed before we were attended to and then it all started getting MUCH better. The check in lady took us personally to our room explaining on the way how to use the key card to activate the lift. Thickly carpeted corridors led to our room on floor 41. She gave us a tour of the room and explained how most of the things worked, for which we were very grateful because there was so much to know. Soon after entering the room a complimentary pot of tea was delivered!
The room was absolutely fantastic! Every luxury and good quality was there. In the bathroom was a bath and two showers with a wet room floor. We had a sink each and the toilet was from future world! White robes, slippers, all the toiletries (all excellent quality). The floor to ceiling windows have blinds operated by a switch by the bed. The air conditioning was effective though a little noisy. There are too many luxury items in the room to mention - look at the web site for full details.
The concierge was helpful and knowledeable. Breakfast on floor 35 was exceptionally good with a lot of choice and the hot food cooked to order, and the view!
During the night, to look out and see the lights of London was a real treat. At night I found the noise of the air conditioning disturbing so I turned it off. Unfortunately there was an even more annoying hum from somewhere in the building so I turned it back on again. The infinity pool I had been looking forward to was not quite ready, which was a shame as I particularly wanted to see this feature.
All the staff we met were friendly and helpful and made us feel special.

Room Tip: Talk to the reservation team about the view you want. They are very helpful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris B

Dear Chris B,

Thank you for your review. I do apologise that there was no one on the Welcome desk at the ground floor to escort you upstairs, we will ensure this type of incident does not happen again in the future. I’m pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and in particular that you found breakfast to be ‘exceptionally good’.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This top notch luxury hotel opened only 2 months ago and already I can't imagine staying anywhere else in London. The city view room is quite a stretch at 400£ a night, but not substantially more than any other 5* hotel would charge in the center of London. However, the almost intoxicating feel of luxury, the unmatched beauty and size of the room nor the unrivaled competence and genuine friendliness of the staff aren't even that determinative here. It's the overwhelming, dramatic views from your floor to ceiling windows at a dazzling height above the city that practically immobilize you.
After all this praise I have to sternly reduce the maximum score by one unit, because of the mediocre breakfast. With a choice of English, Oriental and Arabic which all taste monochrome and bland it would be good enough for any other hotel, but not for this one. Work to be done!

Room Tip: Take the City View Room! It's only 50£ more than the cheapest rooms, but you get unmatched view...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc-VdC

Dear Marc-VdC,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your recent stay, however apologise that you found your breakfast to be bland and I will pass your feedback on to the kitchen team.

I do hope to see you again soon at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Best regards.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here from 01/08-03/08/14 and from the moment you walk in you know you're somewhere special. Check in takes place with a few clicks of an iPad while a delightful member of staff takes you on a tour of the Hotel and your room. I was quickly whisked up to the 44th floor of the Shard where my room was located and another lady greets us with beautiful complimentary Chinese Tea (a really nice touch). My room (Deluxe City View) was one of the most spacious in London in it's class and the bathroom was huge! Both were an example of superlative sumptuous luxury indicative of the Worlds leading 5* Hotels!

Now the view; breathtaking! From my room I had a north easterly views of the entire city with some of London's most famous landmarks visible (Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Gherkin and Canary Wharf to name but a few) and the binoculars provided by the hotel in the room were put to good use. After lunch at Ting (separate less impressive review) i met family in Gong (the hotel bar) which is supposedly the highest located bar in Europe on floor 53 of the Shard, and as expected the bar, drinks and staff were first class with staff clearly encouraged to show a little of their own personality, which is nice and less stiff than other 5* hotels I've stayed in. We even got a late night tour of the infinity pool due to open on August 11th.

Having stayed in many 5* Hotel's (Park Lane Hilton, Ritz-Carlton, Atheneum) I can honestly say few have impressed me as much as Shangri La and their staff, the London Hilton on Park Lane comes closest but I know where I will be staying on my future London trips... Thank you Shangri La.

Room Tip: ALWAYS ask for a city view room as Southernly view rooms are of Surrey and Kent.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank RJV1989

Dear RJV1989,

Thank you for your kind review. I am extremely pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would be delighted to welcome you back on your future London trips to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had a very warm welcome from the moment I arrived, on foot, from the station next door. I was efficiently whisked up to the lobby level where I was met by knowledgeable staff who were very helpful. My room was lovely - muted honey and copper tones and a free standing tub with amazing views over Tower Bridge. The whole room was bright and there was a well equipped bathroom. It had all the hi-tech facilities I would accept and complimentary Wi-Fi (SO important in all hotels these days in my opinion)..
I had arranged to meet friends in Gong bar on the 52nd floor that evening. This is a glam bar and as such is somewhat of an attraction because it is new, and of course has the amazing views. It may be an idea to book a table on check in given the demand. We had great cocktails and the ambience was very pleasant. The waitress we had was exceptional. sorry I can't remember her name to give her a shout out!
I had a great night's sleep and was refreshed next morning.
I can definitely recommend this hotel very highly. It's luxurious, friendly and of very high quality. I plan to return when the pool etc is finished (it may be already open by now).

Room Tip: Any room facing the river Thames, either west or east,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HongKongFan
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear HongKongFan,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and in particular your drinks in GONG. I will pass on your kind praise to the whole team.

I hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Obviously the main reason for staying at the Shard is the view and it is every bit as good as promised. The hotel starts on level 35 for the reception and main restaurant and continues to level 50 or so where there is a cocktail bar (be sure to reserve in advance, even as a hotel guest).

Decor is fairly light and modern, mildly Asian in style and totally in keeping with the building, although I would have preferred to see a more location oriented theme, though obviously you can't forget where you are given the view. Service and rooms are impeccable if impersonal.

Borough market, the Tate modern and the Globe are all within easy walking distance, though major shopping areas are quite a trek.

Definitely worth doing once, not sure I would return other than to the cocktail bar.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BonsaiGirl,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found the service and rooms to be ‘impeccable’.

I do hope that we will see you again soon at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Best regards.