“Brilliant”

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Ranked #68 of 1,088 Hotels in London
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel on the Romance in the Clouds Package.

The room was brilliant and the views were spectacular. The in room dining was superb, drinks at Gong brilliant and the staff were all exceptional.

Not cheap but a fantastic opportunity to spoil yourselves!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LiamHum
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear LiamHum,

I appreciate you reviewing your stay. I am delighted that you had a great stay with us recently on our Romance In The Clouds package and will pass on your kind feedback to the whole team.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Darren Gearing, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reading
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We've stayed at some great hotels and this is certainly one of the best yet. The rooms are beautiful, clean, spacious and the views across London are sublime. All of the staff were helpful, efficient and their attention to detail made our stay very special - you could tell they genuinely wanted us to have a great experience. I can't recommend the hotel enough. A visit to the bar is well worth it for the views and the lovely drinks - the London night view was stunning. We would have eaten dinner at the hotel but we had an early theatre show to see so we visited the Borough Market for quick dinner, eating at Roast restaurant (very good) and had breakfast there to. Enjoyed meandering through the specialist food market at Borough Market in the morning. My husband booked the stay as a surprise for our anniversary, we were treated like VIPs by the hotel and I know we will definitely return again. Thank you Shangri-La!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatNe
Dear KatNe,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you felt your stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London was your ‘best yet’ and I will share your kind comments with the team.

We already look forward to your return.

Kind regards,

Feltham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The view from the rooms is amazing, and binoculars are provided. No binoculars were needed, however to see the people in the bathroom next door. This design flaw is quirky and gave us some amusing moments, but some may not like it!
The room is beautifully appointed with hot tea on arrival. All the staff were helpful and friendly.
The pool on the 52nd floor had a great view, but the water was a little cold, and there are no showers, forcing guests to return to their rooms dripping.
The food at breakfast was great.
Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

1 Thank toandfromtheairport
Dear toandfromtheairport,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that overall your recent stay with us was enjoyable. Currently the pool is in the process of reaching the desired temperature of 27 degrees, so we do apologise that it was not warm enough during your stay.

Regarding the visibility issue you encountered please note that we are currently finalising the works that we will be putting in place to solve this problem but in the meantime we do advise guests use the electronic blinds for privacy.

I hope to see you again soon at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My husband booked one night at the Shard for a 50th birthday treat. We had a fabulous room on the 42nd floor with a fantastic view of Tower Bridge, the Gherkin, etc. But..... whilst the building is awesome and the view is magnificent, the service is not always what you expect from a premium hotel. The girls who grant entrance to the bar on the 52nd floor are snooty and unpleasant. As guests at the hotel, you don't expect to be turned away from the hotel bar because it is too full!! They should not allow non-residents in if they don't have the space.
To be fair, they eventually let us in (lucky us!) for a drink, and the service in the bar was very good.
The service at breakfast left a lot to be desired. Although the food was good and came quite quickly, we had to remind our waitress several times that we had requested something. We waited so long for our second pot of tea that our breakfast was finished by the time it arrived!

To summarise, I'm glad we stayed there, as it was a great experience, but wouldn't stay for more than one night

• Stayed July 2014
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Elmobaggins,

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased you liked your room but I do apologise that encountered some issues getting a table in GONG, we do hold back a few tables for non-residents but upon reservation try to encourage guests to book in advance to avoid disappointment as it is a small area. I am disappointed to hear that service was slower than usual during your breakfast in TING and have passed this on to the management team.

I hope we can welcome you back again in the future to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

London
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed at Shangri La Shard for two nights after our wedding in July 2014 and it was certainly the experience of our lives! The views, the luxury, the atmosphere - you won't find it anywhere else! It's certainly expensive, but it's so worth it, especially if the occasion is special.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex_123654
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Dear Alex_123654,

Thank you for your reviewing your recent stay. I am so pleased that you chose to spend your wedding night with us here at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London and that you enjoyed it so much.

We do hope to welcome you both back again in the future.

Darren
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Shard for my birthday. On arrival the Communications Director escorted us to our room with a child. I asked who the child was and was told it's my daughter. She was brought into our bedroom and started having a tantrum (screaming and kicking) on the floor. I thought this was out of order, she did not ask if we minded. There was no apology and the lady had an attitude problem. Not welcoming or relaxing. The room was lovely but very small. The service in the restaurant and at breakfast was average and I expected it to be a higher standard for the price. I would not stay there again.

The Gong bar staff were very friendly and I would visit again just for drinks.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dannic1
Dear Dannic1,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am disappointed to hear that you did not receive our usual warm welcome. I would be delighted to get more feedback from you personally regarding this, would you mind letting us know your contact information by calling +44(0) 207 234 8187 or emailing claire.hepworth@shangri-la.com?

Again I do apologise and I hope that you will consider coming back in the future so that we can make up for this.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here for my anniversary with my girlfriend, and we left with such great memories of a wonderful stay in such an iconic building.

Check is was a breeze, we had dropped off our bags in the morning to go shopping during the day and our bags were in our room waiting for us when we got there. We were upgraded to an amazing room on the 36th floor, the views were spectacular! Worth staying just for that!

The attention to detail is amazing, binoculars in the room to scope out the mesmeric view springs to mind.

We ate in Ting which was fantastic, again the attentive staff were a credit to the hotel.

We decided to have breakfast in our room as we wanted to enjoy it for as long as possible. Martin brought us our breakfast and it was so refreshing to meet staff who you feel have genuinely invested in giving guests a great experience.

We left looking for an excuse to stay there again, and I know we will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony K
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Anthony K,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you chose to celebrate your anniversary with us and I will pass on your kind praise to Martin.

I hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the near future.

Kind regards,