“August Bank Holiday Weekend in the Shangi-La” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Ranked #69 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Desborough
“August Bank Holiday Weekend in the Shangi-La”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

As a regular guest of S-L in Asia I was interested to compare S-L in London Shard. As always, staggeringly good experience. Each S-L offers its own unique aspect; for S-L London it's the views and the pool on the 52 floor. Service, facilities and of course staff, second to none.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

3 Thank JAMeadows
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear JAMeadows,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am thrilled that we were able to welcome you back to the Shangri-La and in particular that you chose to stay at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I will share your kind comments with our team.

I do hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards,

Darren Gearing, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed here with my Husband for one night. Form the moment we arrived, the experience was amazing. Arrived early to drop off our bags and they actually provided us with a room straight away, which we were not expecting. The view was not quite what I had been informed we would have (I requested and had been assured I would get a city view) and we were given the option of waiting for a different room, but the view was still so wonderful, we stayed with the room. You really cannot stop staring at the views, it is hard to describe, an also seeing all of the air traffic, planes and helicopters flying past. It is a modern, well equipped and luxurious room and bathroom, exactly what you should expect from this kind of hotel and it does not disappoint. You enter the room and have complimentary fruit and green tea, it is so inviting. Had drinks at the Gong bar that night, disappointed here as we had to wait quite a while even though we had booked a table and initially the service was slow, then it was all fine, it is a very busy bar so make sure you book. Following morning we went for a swim in Europe's highest pool, it was amazing, we were the only two there which surprised us but we were fine with it, was really special to be there. We then had breakfast at their Ting restaurant which was delicious and again, impeccable service. We were very sad to leave! Definitely worth a stay, you just cannot stop staring out the windows.....

2 Thank DM45ESS
ShangriLaLondon, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear DM45ESS,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you and your husband both had a wonderful stay here at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I apologise that the service in GONG was slower than usual, but pleased that you enjoyed the evening. I will pass on your kind feedback to the whole team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

What a hotel ! Great customer experience. We stayed for only one night and couldn't fault it. The twist of Asia makes this place feel so special. The rooms are large and of the highest quality. Views are incredible. The toilets seats are heated and have integral bidets and air dryer. Thats and experience in itself, I couldn't wait to use it again! We went to Gong and reserved a seat and the staff couldn't do enough for us the views by night were enchanting. Overall great experience will go back! But next time use the restaurant and other facilities as well.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Meldrues
Dear Meldrues,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay with us recently and that you were able to experience GONG. We do hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent the night before my birthday at the Shangri-La Hotel. It was amazing and we certainly were not disappointed with the views, service or our room. We enjoyed watching the sunrise over London and swimming in the pool. We were delighted with all the simple little touches and will definitely come back again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear 12Debs,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kindest regards,

Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Treated my girlfriend for her birthday and she was blown away.
We've stayed in some great places and this is right up there.
Level of decor, level of service, food, cocktails, pool etc we're all,of the highest order.
For a one of treat to see the views of London in all their splendour, it's a must
Amazing stay

Room Tip: You have to pay that little bit extra to have a "London" facing room, view spectacular dur...
1 Thank MarkieJ64
Dear MarkieJ64,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that your recent stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London with your girlfriend was a pleasant one and that everything was in the ‘highest order’.

We do hope to welcome you both back again soon.

Regards,

Halstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Booked The Shard (Shangri-La Hotel) as a surprise for my wife's birthday.
Deciding to stay August bank holiday weekend in a deluxe room with views over the Gherkin , HMS Belfast, London Bridge, St Paul's , Canary Wharf etc etc , the viewing platform was included in our stay and made a nice little bonus before our evening meal.
Total cost £580.
Value for money ??? "Hard to explain" , don't get me wrong The Shard is simply unbelievable - built in such a small space within a time frame some struggle to add a loft conversion in.
Walking out of London Bridge tube station simply look up and there it stands an engineering eye sore that holds views of the city that are simply amazing and worth every penny to see London peaceful , almost tranquil.
Upon our arrival we walk through reception and kind of got barked at by the Eastern European staff as we asked details of where to go , eventually realising we are guests the staff point us in the direction of the lift.
35 floors later in possibly the speediest elevator I've traveled in we arrive in reception , greeted by the concierge team and reception staff alike , we check in which literally took 2 minutes and make our way to floor 40 and room 4002.
We are home : walking in to stunning views , oriental style music and shown around a very lavish room. The bed is approximately the width of a standard double bed with a standard single attached to it and hugs you like a seat of a top German brand car. The blinds on the floor to ceiling windows are electric and shut the city out to the point at 3pm in the afternoon it could well be midnight.
The mini bar sits under the flat screen tv housing vodka , whiskey, soft drinks, juices, chocolate, biscuits , jelly beans you name it , it's there.
Espresso machine with variety of coffee and variety of tea with complimentary bottles of unusual shaped bottles of both still and sparkling water.
We are shown then the desk which has internet access , plug sockets , stationary , books and in room dining option menu.
Then comes the bathroom , now I've stayed in some nice hotels , some top hotels I might add but this bathroom is something straight out the tardis , a deep luxury bath with two showers to which you control the pressure, heat etc . The sink is a little complicated but after a minute easily worked out. Under the sink is a laundry bin , hair dryer , shaving socket to the left and to the right the shard has squeezed boots in to a drawer but top of my list and my reason for writing this review is the toilet.
It's electric and has a control panel - sitting down the seat is warm , you can opt for the water level to be up or down but I needed to go so no time to mess around , it flushes and then washes that area of downstairs via a wand that if required oscillates. (Enough of the loo stay and use it or pop in and go).
The service in the hotel is good , really good but five star in my opinion is perhaps aiming a little high however having said that I cannot pinpoint the missing factor. The Shard viewing platform, the Shangri la hotel is run separately - two businesses playing host to the same people and it conflicts , check in - check out could be more refined but still good .
To the view I was expecting a separate elevator , secret door but no it's back down stairs (ground floor)turn right , through another door , up a flight of stairs , through security, join a que so allow 45minutes to visit to take in both viewing floors , take your photos and view the gift shop.
Want to impress though book the viewing platform for 3pm drop your bags in reception and make your way there, when you return reception will have everything ready including luggage in your room, grab your swim wear and head to level 52 , this has I think the most exclusive bar in the city as well as a gym and swimming pool which needs to be seen to appreciate just how breathtaking this is , have a beauty treatment, massage etc , relax with a drink after and then take a dip whilst watching the sun set over London and watch the city take on a slightly different view.
Return to your room , shower etc and arrive for dinner ,the Ting restaurant is where we ate and forget your Jamie Oliver Gordon Ramsey style supermarket micro meals this is real food. I like my food so portions could be bigger but my god I think the Shard has hit on some Ting really special here with my only niggle being one particular little spec of s### (waiter) eating off of a customer plate whilst preparing to carry it to the table during breakfast.
A lot of hotels in the UK try hard but you kind of get the premier inn feeling in most of them where the individual touch is spoilt by pre delivered frozen food , cheap European labour, and zero customer service. Most people opt to travel abroad after all for what I spent this weekend I could of booked a weeks holiday but that personal professional touch is replaced by being hearded like cattle, squashed on to planes , kids clubs and drunk to the point of passing out. The Shard has that personal touch , it houses that customer focused team and it screams perfection to millimetre precision it just needs a spark to ignite a fire that sets it apart.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sean C,

Thank you for taking your time to write your kind review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London and will pass on your feedback to our team.

I would like to contact you personally regarding your breakfast experience, would you mind letting us know your contact information and more details of the incident by calling +44(0) 207 234 8187 or emailing claire.hepworth@shangri-la.com?

I do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed here twice and in two different types of rooms. Our stay was punctuated by a 3 day trip to Paris.

We are used to mostly Asian Hotels where they have consistent service and quality (good and bad). Honestly at the time of writing this (August 2014) this Hotel has a ways to go to get their staff all working together and delivering a service quality that is typical and consistent with other Shangri La and Asian Hotels. Here's what I observed over the 10 day period. There are many different nationalities working as staff members of this Hotel. Unlike other Hotels where they employ their locals, London seems to have an extra ordinary amount of different nationalities. This alone isn't an issue, what can be sometimes is some nationalities have different understanding of what the expected service is for a Hotel of this quality. Clearly there was still staff training going on when we were there and for the most part it was good. A young blond man called Michael, a nice German women and an (Indian) British man were excellent in the dining room at breakfast. Very friendly and attentive. The porters and door people who assisted us were excellent too. Check in staff needs some work but this is in the training.

The rooms are faultless. Clean, awesome views, super comfortable beds and lots of bathroom space. Our first room was the Premium and it was large and very spacious. Our second room was one of the basic rooms and we liked that better. It was a corner room (if there is such a thing in the shape of this building) it has interesting shapes, small corner spaces and felt funkier then the bigger more expensive room.

They gym is tiny but has a few of every machine, there is no steam, sauna or spa. One shower for men, one for women. I was (apparently) the 2nd person ever to swim in the pool (opened 11/8/14). Heavily chlorinated so hopefully that will settle after time.

If you can afford it, stay here, even one night, you'll love it and it can only get better.

Room Tip: The standard room and view is exceptional. You'll get other views over breakfast and if you visi...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Dear FitnessHealthTravel,

Thank you for your taking your time to review Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall recent stay with us and that you liked your room in particular, the chlorine has now settled down in the pool so we do hope that you will come again to try it.

Darren