“An amazing experience, what views”

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Ranked #67 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 August 2014

For a birthday event, we treated ourselves to stay at the Shangri-La hotel at the Shard, London Bridge. Our room was located on the 43rd floor and we had amazing views overlooking the City of London with the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast, London Bridge railway station, and down the Thames seeing Canary Wharf in the distance. The room was most comfortable with some excellent amenities. At night, with the London skyline lit up you could not have asked for anything better. We also tried the Gong bar on the 52nd floor, some most enjoyable cocktails and the Ting restaurant on the 35th floor where we had breakfast. Highly recommended just for the experience. It is one of those life time events you have to tick off.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
ShangriLaLondon, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Jim D,

Thank you for taking your time to write your kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your birthday stay with us and that you experienced drinks in GONG and breakfast in TING as well.
We hope to welcome you back again to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London.

Jurgen,
Jurgen Ammerstorfer, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night as wedding anniversary celebration. It was breathtaking in every respect. A real treat from the fantastic views to the attention to every detail. The views over the city were (as another review put it) impossible to stop looking at. Truly mesmerising.
I can thoroughly recommend this as an experience to enjoy for so many reasons.
The staff were attentive and well trained.
FABULOUS. Expensive but worth it.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank dolly027

Dear dolly027,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay, I am glad that you chose to celebrate your wedding anniversary with us here at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London and that you found the staff to be ‘attentive and well trained’, I look forward to sharing this feedback with my team.

I do hope to welcome you back for future celebrations.

Best regards,

Jurgen,
Jurgen Ammerstorfer, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I was suprised by my partner with this wonderful experince. I now know the reason for our trip was a marriage proposal, which made the whole experience even more special.

The hotel is pure elegance with attention to details. It has a permanent smell of beautiful insense which lingers everywhere. My partner upgraded our room as it was a special ocassion to a room with a "city view" and I was speechless when I saw it. Big Ben, the London Eye, Buckingham, Palace and so on. Our room had windows on two aspects so we also got a view of the Olympic Stadium, Velodrome and The Ghurkin. Unless you experience this view, you can't understand how amazing it is. It's even more beautiful at night.

The bathroom is luxurious, heated toilet seats, bath robes, slippers and Aqua Di Parma creams and shower gels, pure class. There is also a TV within the bathroom mirror!!!

We had VIP tickets to the viewing platform, the view is no better that high up but you obviously get the chance to see the whole view. We had a glass of champagne, £10 a glass but to be honest it felt right as we felt so amazed at where we were. There is a photographer but the photos are grossly overpriced, £30!!!!!! You can take your own as the effect is just as good.

We had a meal at Tings. The food is so tastey but not cheap!! The hotel and restaurant attracts the richer cients and we actually saw Nick Hewer from the Apprentice. Gong Bar is a must for the views alone, you must book in advance though and there's a minimum spend of £30. This is easily done with the prices they charge.

The hotel has an infinity pool which is a must. Again, it's elegant and beautifully decorated with a view to die for.

My only complaint was with a female receptionist. We had made a booking with Gong but when we wanted confirmation she struggled to understand basic English and got out surname incorrect,. Gong Bar consequently said we had no booking. We challenged her but she was very curt and almost rude, replying with a wry smile that we couldn't go in. My partner got anniyed and pushed her to call the bar again, which she did. She then realised that she got our name wrong and we did infact have a reservation. This young lady needs to perfect her English language, be less curt and make customers who have spend an awful lot of money feel special.

Apart from that, I loved every second of being in the hotel and hope taht one day we can justify the huge cost and return. Titally winderful and breathtaking.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a city view.
2  Thank Supersilkley
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Supersilkley,

Thank you for sharing your review and feedback. Firstly congratulations, I am pleased that we were able to be a part of your special occasion.

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your experience with us. I do apologise that there was a miscommunication regarding your booking in GONG but I am pleased that this situation was resolved, please know that I have shared this incident with the management team.
I do hope to welcome you both back again to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Wonderful location for exploring London by night, and the hotel is beautifully presented. However the welcome tea that was promised on confirmation and arrival did not arrive, nor did the tv in the bathroom mirror work otherwise it would have been 5's across the board.
Beautiful views and the restaurant was perfect though.

Room Tip: We booked a City View room that overlooked Tower Bridge, and at night it was stunning!

Dear Lea S,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us recently but disappointed that your welcome tea did not arrive and that your bathroom TV was not working, I do apologise for this.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back again to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Having returned form the haven of 5* hotels that is Dubai, could London match the service levels? Well take it from me The Shangri-La at The Shard certainly does. On arrival approx 2.20pm little disturbed that our rooms weren't ready. We had reservations for 2x interconnecting superior rooms as we were travelling with children. Not to worry off we went to Borough Market virtually across the road. On return the rooms not huge but made up by the floor to ceiling windows, great skyline views of the city of London, blinds that provided complete blackout (we left them up all night) but the novelty of up down, down, up kept me amused for a few moments.

Clean, crisp sheets, very comfortable bed, air con blew in between the levels of too hot and too cold for my liking, I prefer a breeze rather than a gust.

Bathroom heaven, double sinks, shower and bath with the best bidet/basin combination ever!

Breakfast is pleasant, nothing is too much. We asked for both French toast and fried bread, not a problem.

Dinner menu was for a little disappointing I wish the oriental menu (which is the restricted bar menu) would have been the main offering rather than the slightly restrictive 'British' affair.

Overall. Yes we will be back, yes we loved it, yes you'll love it. Just check weather forecast as it rained and rained. Thought we were in London and not Manchester.

Room Tip: Interconnecting rooms have a private door so you can leave both doors open in privacy.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Glossy Magazine s,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased your recent stay with us was an enjoyable experience. I’m sorry that we were not able to seat you in TING Lounge, the restaurant and lounge do have different menus, the restaurant presents a modern European menu with subtle Asian influences whereas the lounge offers authentic Asian and Arabic specialties, I hope that you will dine with us in TING Lounge on your return visit.

Kindest regards,

Darren

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We are Shangri La fans as a family and stay regularly at its Indian Ocean and middle eastern properties. We were curious and looking forward to its first offering in the UK.
We were not disappointed with our stay. The views were amazing and we saw views of London that I have never seen before . The suite we stated at was very modern and very well laid out and had every single convenience that we could ever think of including a set of binoculars to take in the aerial views of London. The pool was amazing, the sunset was magical from the pool area, the adjoining bar area was busy and had a great atmosphere. You are right on top of a tube station and perfectly placed to access London by tube , ferry or by walking.
Manuela, the front office Asst Manager was great, helpful and very welcoming, and I also had a chance to chat to Anne, the restaurant Manager from Ting and found that the team had a welcoming and very positive attitude to service and suggestions from guests.

Without wanting to sound harsh , but on a constructive note:

1. Did it offer us the Shangri-La culture and warmth that we were so used to: It's always a challenge to expect Asian style hospitality ( that we love in every Shangri -La) in any establishment in London, and we were curious to see if the Sh-La at the Shard was able to achieve this - the answer is that it is early days and attempting to bring in the type of SLa culture and mannerisms of servitude into a western capital with locally sourced staff can be incredibly challenging. All of the staff members we met, were however, incredibly cordial and helpful at all times.

2. Child/family friendly : my daughter was disappointed that there were no special welcome Shangri la merchandise that they are so used to in other establishments. Even a small Sh-La bear would have done the trick.These is such a minor issue, but often if children are happy (does not take much to make them happy) , then parents relax and return to the same place.Overall they were excited with views and the attention that staff including Manuela gave them.

3. The Shangri La B'Fast experience: this was an area that the Shard team have not quite cracked as yet. There was an issue of people queuing as the occupancy rates were rather high that weekend. And there is the issue of the food display- I suspect they are struggling to keep it minimalistic and western and there is a menu that was handed down to me that had additional costs to have eggs done any other way other than that on the buffet. I would expect Shangri La to have its breakfasts as it's highlight offering as it does everywhere else and have all stops pulled out.

In short, if you have not experienced the Eastern, Middle East and Indian Ocean Shangri La offerings, you would probably dismiss all of the three above points and just take our positive ones. But for us as Sh-La aficionados and regulars, we would honestly say that there is quite a way to go in terms of family friendliness and array and choice of food presentations and a little more way to go in terms of bringing in the full array of Eastern warmth that Shangri Las exude. This many be due to the fact that it is only 2-3 months old with totally new staff learning to cope with the Shangri-La way.
This is the only reason , I have given it a 4 star and I would hope to return once again in 6 months time and am confident that all of these suggestions would have been taken on board and I can confidently issue a fully satisfied 5 star rating with a glowing review as we do with other Sh Las.

Having said all that, if you are however, going for a special occasion, a romantic weekend, anniversary or impressing a business guest, please take it for granted that there is no match for the Shangri-La at the Shard across London. This is the place to stay even if it only for one night to take in the experience and views.

Room Tip: All rooms have fantastic views of London and beyond. Don't agonise over which view you want to c...
4  Thank RavBug
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear RavBug,

Thank you for sharing your review and feedback. I am delighted that as regular Shangri-La guests we were able to welcome you and your family to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London and that overall you enjoyed your experience with us. Your comments and feedback have all been noted, with thanks, and I will be sure to share them with the management team.

I do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

As a regular guest of S-L in Asia I was interested to compare S-L in London Shard. As always, staggeringly good experience. Each S-L offers its own unique aspect; for S-L London it's the views and the pool on the 52 floor. Service, facilities and of course staff, second to none.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
3  Thank JAMeadows

Dear JAMeadows,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am thrilled that we were able to welcome you back to the Shangri-La and in particular that you chose to stay at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London. I will share your kind comments with our team.

I do hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards,