“Not as good as first visit”
Review of The Afternoon Tea

The Afternoon Tea
Ranked #144 of 675 Coffee & Tea in London
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Kent, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as good as first visit”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have been to the Athenaeum before for afternoon tea and had a very nice time but having recently been back (22nd March 2014) the experience was not as good. First of all they had not put my group down on the list, had an anxious time waiting so be told that we were actually booked in (always take your confirmation). Then while waiting to be seated, we saw two people come in with dogs and seat them in the restaurant and the dogs got on the seats, I would not have been very happy with that should I be sitting near them. When we were seated in the Garden Room we felt the service was not very attentive and we had to wait at least an hour to have our tea (we had to call the waitress), the sandwiches were quite dry and at the end I had the Victoria Sponge and it was dry and the sponge was very heavy. It is a shame as it could be a lot better.

Romford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I found out about the Chesterfield Afternoon Tea through the afternoontea.co.uk website - there is a lot of choice on there but we liked the sound of this one and weren't disappointed!

The staff were friendly and accommodating, the food was delicious (especially the basil bread!) and we were delighted, having two pregnant women in our party, that we were able to request additional sandwiches, for no extra cost, too!

Having been to a few different venues in recent years, this was by far one of the nicest and I have already recommended it to a few people!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Once again, absolutely wonderful.”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I had afternoon tea here yesterday with three friends, one of whoms birthday it was. This is the second time I have been here for an afternoon tea birthday celebration, and it has been absolutely brilliant each time.

The service is amazing - friendly, personal, attentive. The staff treated us all like VIPs - we stayed for as long as we wanted and nothing was too much trouble. They added an extra special touch for the birthday girl, and the whole experience was just lovely.

I highly, highly recommend this hotel for afternoon tea. The value for money is fantastic, and with the service you receive it is completely worth it. Please go and see for yourself, I shall definitely be returning.

1 Thank Jamwich