“Flophouse but still too expensive”
Review of Aquarius Hotel

Aquarius Hotel
Ranked #1,023 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 November 2013

You know, if this was less than 20 pounds a night I would give this 5 stars. It's the perfect down and out flophouse of my dreams. I don't think there is even a right angle in the whole building! The bathroom was tiled a beautiful turquoise blue sometime when David Bowie was in the charts (Heroes period I think) and I don't think the rooms are ever vacuumed. However, they are warm and dry. I would advise anyone staying here or in a similar dive to bring their own sleeping bag, although I can't say I was bitten whilst sleeping.

GOOD SIDE: right next to Earls Court station so zone 2 and great transport links into town. Really lively area, nice and friendly people, lots of good asian/indian food.

BAD SIDE: Paid 40 pounds for single: should be max. 20 pounds

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I only stayed here because I came to London for a last minute unpaid internship and was on a budget. I had read reviews on another website that made it sound and look okay, with it being central I thought I would give it a try. It's hands down one of the worst places I ever stayed in. I haven't even checked out and I felt the need to write this review.

First of all I will mention I am ill. I feel like it's down to the hotel why I am so poorly. It's FREEZING in there and I didn't even get a duvet. Just given 2 measly blankets when I left a note mentioning I was cold, the old blanket I had which I wouldn't use had holes all over it. Staff are hardly around for help hence the note. I don't know what staff think they are achieving by leaving a new towel each day, what's the point when all other amenities are poor.

I don't want to write a massive review so I will say just this... curtains are looking approx. 100 years old with holes all over, bathroom is about the size of Harry's cupboard, room smells musty, lights flicker like a horror movie, window is very drafty, TV looks like a microwave it's so old and it's creaky as hell.

I could go on but I think you get it. It's basically just really dirt ridden. Also, I am 5'3 and if I layed on the bed width ways the room is a few inches bigger than me. I wont even mention the breakfast because I am terrified to try it.

Only plus is location.

Room Tip: Don't travel alone in this hotel, it's a lonely place. If you are risking it, take some comp...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I assumed the accommodations would be cramped since it is in London, but it was still awful. The location (Earl's Court) is awesome however it is not worth staying in this hotel there. Scary water leakage in ceilings, food left in fridge from previous customer. It was disgusting! Plus room was right next to a train track that went all night. Workers working on the other train track made even more noise than the train! Everything just seemed dirty. Highly recommend NOT staying here!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked this for the price and location - both were ideal.
Expectation levels were for a compact room with toilet and shower facilities and we were slightly surprised by the clean sheets and ample towels (also white and clean). You get exactly what you pay for and it is convenient for the tube (right on top of it) plus some London life.

We had two nights, we got fresh towels on second day and got exactly what we paid for. Yes they could spend a bomb and get it refurbed and gets some stars but you won't be paying these prices.

Room Tip: Get a road side room (at the front) and turn the radiator down as it gets really hot...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian H
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I needed a 1-2 night stay in London between destinations and didn't want to indulge myself (just a place to sleep). The Aquarius hotel was great in that there was clean with a freshly made-up bed and a window to open to overlook the street in this 3rd floor walk-up room. The bathroom (toilet and a shower) was very small and there was a sink in the room. Since I read and don't watch television, I didn't mind the non-functioning CRT TV in the room. The included breakfast was simple (essentially toast and coffee and/tea). The location was terrific (1/2 block from the Earl's Court underground station) and the price was a mere £25. A pub just across the street from the Earl's court station served excellent fish and chips. This was a terrific value if you just want a clean place to sleep which will be a way-station as you venture out to other activities in the city. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was a bad experience. I had not wanted to re-live it by recalling the details and that is why I put off giving a review until now that I am a bit recovered from having spent 5 of my nights there.

Where do I begin? Website photographs were a complete misrepresentation. The place was horrible.

There was stench of body odour all the way from the entrance passage. It was like a sauna in the basement room where I stayed and they could not provide a fan when I asked for one. I asked for a change of room and was told that all the rooms were the same. It was impossible to sleep properly at nights not just because of the heat but because of the noise, of what I assume were trains passing by which violently vibrated the room.

The carpet was old and used. For the first three days the bed did not get made except to simply pull the covers over, and the door was left open after every visit to remove the bin when you were out. You felt acutely that the hotel owners did not care about its guests.

The shower/toilet room was dirty. The toilet itself smelled of old urine. The shower curtain was filthy with blotches and stains that made you afraid of catching an infection every time the curtain drew closer during your shower. There were smeared dirt up in the ceiling where they must have attempted to clean the mould. Water collected at your feet instead of efficiently flowing out. You had a feeling of accumulative old dirt being brought up from the drain with your showered water. It was disgusting. Disgusting encounters with the drains did not stop there. I pulled a bunch of hair from the wash-basin sink, after initially thinking it was just a piece of hair.

A positive was a daily change of towels. Also, there was a working TV in the room although the monitor had to be manually switched on separate from the digital box which was operated with a remote control. However, you can get better in other places costing less money and providing a good service. At over £45 per night, it was not that cheap. In the previous week I stayed at a hotel in Hammersmith which is near to Earls Court and in the same zone, that provided a much better stay, and I paid under £40 per night. I had ended up booking into this Aquarius Hotel because the hotel in Hammersmith was fully booked. Even though, it would be better to pay more to stay in a better place.

The hotel is close to Earl's Court station and the Exhibition Centre. Still, I would not stay there again even if I was paid. It is just not worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Decent budget hotel in London, friendly staff, clean beds, basic breakfast, great location. Not as bad as some reviews have made out. If you are looking for a place to rest after a busy day in London and are on a budget then this hotel fits the bill. I wiill certainly be using the Aquarius Hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front of the hotel as it's much quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family