“Great for family holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dolphin House Serviced Apartments

Dolphin House Serviced Apartments
Ranked #320 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great for family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My family and I stayed at the Dolphin apartments for a short break last summer. It was a good location to travel into central London for sight seeing, although there wasn't much in the way of bars and restaurants in Pimlico itself. My family rented three different apartments which were all well maintained and in good working order. We certainly didn't experience the problems outlined by other reviewers. The kids loved the swimming pool which is a bonus in London hotels. The only negative point to mention was the service at breakfast which was slow but it was very busy. All in all, a good spot if you want to spend a few days in London and have the convenience of self catering facilities.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WayneMortensen, Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear AlisonJones267, thank for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted your family has such a happy time with us, and enjoyed the pool so much. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orlando, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I apologize for the length, but I'd like to make sure you have enough information to decide if you want to stay here. I did my research and checked a number of different sites for reviews on this place. After previewing, I've cut issues out, as there were just too many. This is how my, abbreviated, stay went:

Check in Fri 11/29, consisted of swiping my credit card for incidentals, as the room had been booked through their site and prepaid. Even though it was 210pm, the room wasn't ready (which was expected). My luggage was stored and off I went to the nearest Saninsbury's for groceries.

Returned at 345pm to find the computers down. No one can be checked in. By 425pm, even though I had all ready checked in and all I needed was my room key, I still couldn't get my room. By now, there were 20-30 people (guests) becoming increasingly frustrated that the world came to an end because the computers wouldn't work. The lack of communication/updates from staff was appalling. And the "fix" to make everyone happy? A free soft drink at the bar.

Shortly after getting into room 227 (3rd floor for us Americans), my luggage arrived, sans groceries. No wifi, since the computers weren't working. I wasn't able to access wifi until late Saturday night. Next night, I couldn't access, again. When I called, I was told the system was working and they reset me. It worked after that.

A typical "hotel" style room with the fake king bed, 2 bedside tables with lamps, a flat screen TV sitting on a small table, an 'eating' table with 2 chairs, a desk with a large mirror and chair. A large closet (for those staying longer). To me, the decor is tired looking. Drab, might be a better word, but you can judge for yourself by the pics. I had a full kitchen. Bathroom is small, but functional. No counter space. I did my hair at the desk every morning.

What went wrong? What didn't? I had animals next to me who, thankfully, left Sunday. While this isn't the hotel's fault, when I called to ask how this was going to be handled, I was told she didn't know and would call me back. She didn't. TV kept freezing. It was useless to watch and that was the only noise maker I had to drown out the animals next door. While I was smart enough to bring a sponge to clean the dishes, I would have thought I would be provided soap to clean with. I wasn't. About 11pm, I awoke drenched in sweat. Called and spoke with Remy who told me to turn the heat off. Heat wasn't on (I asked before my stay if I would have individual climate control and was told yes. You don't. You have a window that opens, but doesn't lock. And, you have a radiator for heat. That's it.) Remy came up to the room. Upon entering, he made mention of the warmth and immediately went to check the heat. He confirmed the radiator was cold and not on. He said I should have a fan, but couldn't find one. He immediately got one for me. The fan did the trick the rest of the stay as well as providing some white noise. I showed him the TV issue. After he did something to it, I could watch tv. The bed was very comfortable. Later in my stay when I spoke with Helen (manager) about all of the issues, she mentioned some of the rooms are warmer than others and they don't know why.

Before my stay, I asked if ice would be available and was told it was "no problem" for me to go to the bar and get ice. 1 night I was told they had a function and had no more ice. If I wanted any, I could go to Tesco and buy some. Most other nights, I was given a small amount and made to feel like I should be thankful I was getting any.

I have never stayed in a place with so much noise. I figured out, some of the noise was from other people opening/closing their windows. I could recognize that sound when I did the same thing. But this other noise sounded like people above me were moving heavy furniture. I would hear it until 11pm and then it would start up about 630am.

When I awoke on 12/3, I discovered I had no water. Called and advised there was a "major issue". 45 minutes later, despite the "sleepy" sign (their version of do not disturb) on the door, my doorbell rang. I was still in my pjs as this was my one 'sleep in' day of my vacation. I opened the door and a very smelly, tall blonde woman pushed her way in and said she heard I had water and phone problems. Told her the phone worked fine, but no water. And then she left.

Any one not paying in British Pounds had best check they're truly being charged what they should. I was overcharged about $50. When I called to question and advised I had documentation as to what the exchange rate was that day, I was told I'd be called back. Never was. Helen took care of it immediately when I spoke to her about it.

Would I stay here again? Living thousands of miles away and not being able to afford to come but once every 5 years, no, I don't think I could take a chance on this comedy of errors happening again. I know a lot of this, and other issues edited out, are "little" things. There were just too many "little things". This is not my first stay in an English accommodation (this is the 4th). I loved the size of the room. I loved it was, literally, a 3 minute walk from hotel door to tube station steps. I felt extremely safe walking at night, or in the early morning hours, by myself. I loved having a fridge and a microwave. But, there was no place to put my luggage (luggage racks). There's no list in the kitchen of the things you should have so you can call if you don't have something you're supposed to.

The employees were never rude (except for the "ice lady" at the bar). But there was no sense of urgency about ANY issues. It was as if the attitude was "Oh, you have a problem. So sorry!" I have worked at a hotel here in the states and, as a military vet, I am well aware of the "angry American" attitude some of us seem to project. I tried very hard to make excuses and be understanding. Other than Remy, Helen and Emmanuel, no one seemed to care. This just isn't what I'm accustomed to, especially for the amount of money I paid. This was a dream trip that was every thing but. In fairness of disclosure, both Emmanuel and Helen adjusted my bill for my issues, but it wasn't enough for me to want to try again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank FirstNo
WayneMortensen, Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback, which is genuinely important to us in evaluating the service and facilities of our hotel. I would very much like to have the opportunity to speak to you in person regarding your experience and will endeavour to get in contact at the earliest opportunity. In the interim, once again please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during your time with us.

I do feel it is pertinent that I respond on the issues you highlighted as our commitment to listening and reacting to the feedback of our guests are an integral part of our service philosophy. Unfortunately, on the day of your arrival there was a localised power outage that did cause a temporary loss of operating systems, resulting in a short a period of time where guests were inconvenienced as we switched to manual systems. We are very sorry for the delay this caused; all apartment do come with central heating, our standard during the winter months, the period you stayed, is to set the radiator to neutral, which allows them to be regulated to the outside temperature by our automated central heating system during winter months. The system can be adjusted by the guest in each room or switched off entirely if they wish; We did not experience Wi-Fi or internet issues after the power outage, however on occasion we have found that guest’s may need to adjust their individual security settings. Both Dolphin House and the Wi-Fi provider offer 24 hour assistance. I am somewhat surprised to note your comments with respect to the beds. All apartments have hypnosis beds, similar to what is found in leading 5 star hotels in London. Indeed, we receive a considerable amount of feedback from our guests advising us how comfortable they are. Our credit card payment system does allow guest to pay in their own currency should they choose. The rate of exchange will always be lower than what the major credit card companies charge or advertise at the time of payment. I will investigate complaint about not having any water and the follow up, and the poor service from one individual in the Bar & Grill.
With reference to Dolphin House being a hotel. If I may clarify Dolphin House is a serviced apartment product and not to be confused with a Hotel. Whilst we offer an extensive service compared to that of most of our serviced apartment competitors, like a 24hour reception, we do not offer full hotel services.
It was most gratifying to note you found a number of our team helpful in assisting with the issues you have mentioned. In that respect, as I have mentioned earlier, I will endeavour to get in contact at the earliest opportunity.
Kind Regards,
Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager
Stokesley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

First appearances were good. Large bed, kitchen area huge room. However the towel rail didn't work, the vanity light in the bathroom didn't work and still didn't work after we had reported the faults and there was not any note left to excuse them. Then we found the shaver socket didn't work. In fact the bathroom was a bit tired and old.
Bit of a shame because the kitchen area is useful. The gardens nice. The gym etc looked useful
And the location near Pimlico tube is good. Not too expensive either. Oh and don't get a room road side if possible!
Might go back again though as the size of the room is excellent for the money!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grumpypete
WayneMortensen, Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback. I was dissapointed that you had issues during your stay with us. I have taken note of them and am looking in to them in more detail. It is from feedback that guests give us that we try and improve the service we provide. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed at the Dolphin House in Pimlico for 6 nights in early December. The location is an approximate 5 minute walk from the Pimlico underground station and from there all of the London area can be reached (although the Victoria Line does require at least one transfer to get most places). There is not much in the area although the Goya Tapas Bar is less than 5 minutes away and an excellent choice for a dinner. There is also a Pizza Express nearby which is adequate.
The check-in was less than perfect. We requested an early check-in; but no room was available until 12:30. We had requested a Studio with King beds and kitchenette. The first room was on the second floor with the heating machinery outside our window and between 2 elevators so we asked for a change. We were moved to a lower category room (we had pre-paid in full) which was again unacceptable. The reception staff were always polite and helpful; but the whole ordeal was very frustrating. On their third try they found a very nice room, exactly what we had requested, and offered to move us to a one bedroom the next day. The room they put us in was fine so we said we were happy where we were and declined the upgrade.

The restaurant on site is fine for a light breakfast or dinner. They always want to charge to your room and are reluctant to provide a receipt. Always insist on a receipt as it is the only way of confirming on the final hotel bill that you are not being overcharged (on one occasion the full breakfast was on our hotel bill and we only had porridge) The hotel also seems reluctant to provide a full accounting on check out of extra charges.

On two occasions our room was not made up. The first time we returned to the room early afternoon so they may just not have gotten around to it; but the next day it was still not made up at 1530 which is unacceptable.

Overall the hotel is clean, decent service and not a bad location although there is very little to actually do within easy walking distance. There is just not anything about Dolphin House to raise it above average.

Room Tip: Insist on a higher floor away from elevators (of which there are several)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent feedback. It was disappointing to note you were not completely satisfied with you stay. However, it was very pleasing to hear the staff spend time successfully finding a room that meet your exact needs. With respect to local restaurants, Wilton Road has perhaps a dozen restaurants offering a variety of cuisines and is 5-7 minutes walk from Dolphin House. All postings charged to your account are available to view at anytime during or after your stay. To that end, please fell free to contact me personally at any time to discuss your stay further with me. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed here for one night. Never again. Regardless of what employees of Dolphin Square have said here in a vain attempt to save face, there is an insect problem on the complex. Spoke to one of the business owners on the premises who said that the place is constantly being sprayed. Place is like an old sanitarium. Not worth the money. Far better options located elsewhere in London.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank watermarkDublin
WayneMortensen, Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear WatermarkDublin, I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us at Dolphin House. However, with respect to your comments about there being ‘an insect problem’ I have to advise this is simply not the case. Certainly if you choose to leave your window open whilst staying at Dolphin House an insect could enter your apartment as Dolphin House has Dolphin House has three and a half acres of well-maintained gardens. It may interest you to know that Dolphin Square has been featured for the last three years in the London Open Squares Garden Weekend. Spraying and varies other activities are undertaken from time to time to by the gardeners and contractors to ensure there is no ‘problem’ at Dolphin Square. Whilst taste is subjective, Dolphin House is far from being a ‘sanitarium’. In point of fact we are a four star property, located in a tranquil, residential setting, only minutes from central London. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager.
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I have mixed reviews about the hotel. We arrived and they didn't have a room ready so we had to leave our bags at reception and wait. Although we had booked a room with a full kitchen, we received only a bar fridge and microwave. I called to get the room swtiched and was told we would be called back. After an hour I went to reception directly to sort the problem. The manager did change the room immediately to one with a kitchen noting this only included a stove top (no oven) and thus we were satisfied however the kitchen looks nothing like the pictures provided. There is a grocery store about 3 blocks from the hotel so that was convenient.

The bed was comfortable. The room was too hot at night so we had to leave the window open but on Friday night there were people yelling outside in the wee hours of morning which woke us up even on the 5th floor.

The bathroom was small but functional for us.

The size of the apartment was nice as most places I've stayed have been really small.

The gym and pool are nice but note the closing hours and restrictions on the use for children. This was really inconvenient as children are only allowed a few times a day and it closed by 8pm on Saturday.

The location of the hotel was ok as it is just a 5 min walk to Pimlico station but to get to most of the tourist sites you have to transfer to another line.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor as it is quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we are delighted you and your family choose to stay with us. With respect to the apartment not being available on arrival. If we were full the night prior and you arrive in the morning, we will not be in a position to check you in immediately. In such instances, as you say, we will offer to store luggage and have your apartment prioritised. All early arriving guests still enjoy full use of the facilities. Dolphin House caters to a wide range of guest and offers a variety of kitchens, from galley style to comprehensive; all apartments enjoy central heating with adjustable radiators. Children have use of the swimming pool between 10am and 12pm and again between 2pm and 5pm weekdays and between 8am and 8pm on weekends and public holidays. I am delighted you enjoyed the onsite facilities and of course, the bed. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

It was a joy to have a living room, kitchen, and laundry facilities in a city known for expensive and tiny rooms. We didn't use the kitchen because the complimentary breakfast was very good and we enjoyed eating out. The on-site restaurant is good. The location near the Tube was very convenient and quiet and uncrowded. The staff were very helpful. Our rooms were attractive and nicely decorated. Most of the units have long-term tenants and only a few on the 1st and 2nd floors are rented out as hotel apartments. Good for families.

Room Tip: Ask for redecorated rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WayneMortensen, Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property, we are delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with us If I may clarify: Dolphin House has six floors with one hundred and sixty five apartments. I do apologise if this was communicated to you incorrectly. We look forward to welcoming you back; in the meantime please don't hesitate to contact us if we can help you further, Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager.