“Family Christmas Break”

Ranked #314 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Family Christmas Break”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed for two nights between Chrismtas and New Year. Having arrived just after lunch we asked if we could store our bags until check in and this was done very easily and quickly. Later on when we came to enter the room we found a put up bed in the living room, even though we had booked a two bedroom apartment. Upon calling reception we discovered that our room type had been over booked. Whilst I was very unhappy with this at the time (after a long day) the response from the duty manager was excellent and we were very pleased with how the matter was dealt with.

The facilities of the apartments are excellent. We had a very nice time using the sauna and swimming in the pool. Breakfast was very good, with a wide range and the kids loved the hot chocolate with marshmellows. The odd forgotten item off the cooked breakfast here and there didn't spoil the experience. There are also shops on site although we didn't get chance to use them.

I was really pleased with the location. Pimlico looks a little out of the way on the tube map but it really isn't. We never changed off the Victoria line which gives easy access to Oxford Circus, the Palace, and a short walk to Hyde Park. What's more you can have a beautiful walk along the Thames and reach Big Ben in no time at all.

Overall the facilities of these apartments and the pleasant and helpful staff more than compensated from some minor (and not so minor) niggles. We will certainly consider staying again in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mike J
WayneMortensen, Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear Mike J, thank you for your review of Dolphin House. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry to read about the issue with your booking, but it is very pleasing to hear the manager was able to resolve the matter to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back on some future occasion. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Helsinki
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was our second stay at Dolphin House. We stayed for 12 nights from the 18th till the 30th of December 2013. Our apartment was #108 and it was on the first floor. Our bedroom was right above the ATM :-) ! Our overall feeling with the apartment and the service has been quite positive. The apartment itself is outdated. The wall-to-wall carpeting is old, there were obvious signs of humidity in the kitchen and the bathroom which was recently renovated, was not functional while good in size; we had to all the time use a clothe rack to place our wet towels. There was no drain in the floor so the water from the sower wet the floor which then stayed wet for hours. There was no ventilation in the bathroom which is a great mistake. The bedroom had old shabby wardrobes, the mattress was firm and quite ok but the pillows were just sacks of down and not anatomical at all. All the doors and frames in the apartment were rather old and worn. The service was generally speaking good. I asked for breakfast bowls that we never got with no explanation, I asked for a firmer pillow after the first night of bad sleep but was told that there was only one kind of pillows available in the hotel; this I thought was quite stupid. We asked for late check-out since our flight was in the evening. We were told that it was not possible but offered one hour more (12:00 instead of 11:00) free of charge (really!). The comfort zone complimentary toiletries were made in Italy had no parabens but had the environmentally unfriendly SLS. So the selection of toiletries was not wise. In addition a moisturizing lotion would be greatly appreciated. The skin-drying soap was superfluous. There was no sustainable policy regarding bathroom towels so every time the cleaning staff would clean the apartment they would change all the towels even if there were used only once. On the other hand our kitchen garbage was forgotten in our kitchenette for two days and emptied on the third; that was not nice. The room service could be set at a later time or negotiated with the occupants. On our checking-out day a cleaning lady rang our door-bell around 9-10 in the morning to ask us (why not the reception staff?) what was our scheduled time of departure from the hotel. When I told her she just turned her back and left. If she had rang the bell 20 minutes earlier she would have woken us up. The area of Dolphin Square is nice and quite. Within a 10 minute walk or a two-stop bus-ride you are at Sainsbury's super market where you can get everything to stock up the small kitchenette. The Pimlico tube station is 5-7 minutes walk. We didn't use the SPA and gym in Dolphin House but apparently they are well reputed and busy with locals. I wish I had my bathing suit with me because I wouldn't mind taking a dip in the pool. One BIG problem we found at Dolphin House was the lack of free WIFI which we think is unacceptable and we wish that the management reconsiders (with all that money they charge they should).

Room Tip: The higher the better because you might get some good view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank acuteobserver
WayneMortensen, Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for your instructive and thoughtful review. It is very pleasing to note that the apartment and service provided a positive experience. Reviews are genuinely important to us in evaluating the service and facilities we offer at Dolphin House. There are a number of points you raise that do bear future consideration – we are most grateful you took the time. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dolphin House on some future occasion. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed the night at the Dolphin House at the beginning of December. We used the spa facilities and stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment was stunning with it's own kitchen. The spa was one of the best experiences I have had. The atmosphere in the spa was so relaxes and the hot stone beds were so lovely. I loved the variety at breakfast and only wish I could have eaten more. I would go back to the Dolphin spa anytime and I plan to in afew months.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your fantastic review! We are delighted you found the Spa so relaxing. I will certainly pass on your wonderful feedback regarding breakfast to the chef and his team. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My family and I stayed at the Dolphin apartments for a short break last summer. It was a good location to travel into central London for sight seeing, although there wasn't much in the way of bars and restaurants in Pimlico itself. My family rented three different apartments which were all well maintained and in good working order. We certainly didn't experience the problems outlined by other reviewers. The kids loved the swimming pool which is a bonus in London hotels. The only negative point to mention was the service at breakfast which was slow but it was very busy. All in all, a good spot if you want to spend a few days in London and have the convenience of self catering facilities.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear AlisonJones267, thank for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted your family has such a happy time with us, and enjoyed the pool so much. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager.
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I apologize for the length, but I'd like to make sure you have enough information to decide if you want to stay here. I did my research and checked a number of different sites for reviews on this place. After previewing, I've cut issues out, as there were just too many. This is how my, abbreviated, stay went:

Check in Fri 11/29, consisted of swiping my credit card for incidentals, as the room had been booked through their site and prepaid. Even though it was 210pm, the room wasn't ready (which was expected). My luggage was stored and off I went to the nearest Saninsbury's for groceries.

Returned at 345pm to find the computers down. No one can be checked in. By 425pm, even though I had all ready checked in and all I needed was my room key, I still couldn't get my room. By now, there were 20-30 people (guests) becoming increasingly frustrated that the world came to an end because the computers wouldn't work. The lack of communication/updates from staff was appalling. And the "fix" to make everyone happy? A free soft drink at the bar.

Shortly after getting into room 227 (3rd floor for us Americans), my luggage arrived, sans groceries. No wifi, since the computers weren't working. I wasn't able to access wifi until late Saturday night. Next night, I couldn't access, again. When I called, I was told the system was working and they reset me. It worked after that.

A typical "hotel" style room with the fake king bed, 2 bedside tables with lamps, a flat screen TV sitting on a small table, an 'eating' table with 2 chairs, a desk with a large mirror and chair. A large closet (for those staying longer). To me, the decor is tired looking. Drab, might be a better word, but you can judge for yourself by the pics. I had a full kitchen. Bathroom is small, but functional. No counter space. I did my hair at the desk every morning.

What went wrong? What didn't? I had animals next to me who, thankfully, left Sunday. While this isn't the hotel's fault, when I called to ask how this was going to be handled, I was told she didn't know and would call me back. She didn't. TV kept freezing. It was useless to watch and that was the only noise maker I had to drown out the animals next door. While I was smart enough to bring a sponge to clean the dishes, I would have thought I would be provided soap to clean with. I wasn't. About 11pm, I awoke drenched in sweat. Called and spoke with Remy who told me to turn the heat off. Heat wasn't on (I asked before my stay if I would have individual climate control and was told yes. You don't. You have a window that opens, but doesn't lock. And, you have a radiator for heat. That's it.) Remy came up to the room. Upon entering, he made mention of the warmth and immediately went to check the heat. He confirmed the radiator was cold and not on. He said I should have a fan, but couldn't find one. He immediately got one for me. The fan did the trick the rest of the stay as well as providing some white noise. I showed him the TV issue. After he did something to it, I could watch tv. The bed was very comfortable. Later in my stay when I spoke with Helen (manager) about all of the issues, she mentioned some of the rooms are warmer than others and they don't know why.

Before my stay, I asked if ice would be available and was told it was "no problem" for me to go to the bar and get ice. 1 night I was told they had a function and had no more ice. If I wanted any, I could go to Tesco and buy some. Most other nights, I was given a small amount and made to feel like I should be thankful I was getting any.

I have never stayed in a place with so much noise. I figured out, some of the noise was from other people opening/closing their windows. I could recognize that sound when I did the same thing. But this other noise sounded like people above me were moving heavy furniture. I would hear it until 11pm and then it would start up about 630am.

When I awoke on 12/3, I discovered I had no water. Called and advised there was a "major issue". 45 minutes later, despite the "sleepy" sign (their version of do not disturb) on the door, my doorbell rang. I was still in my pjs as this was my one 'sleep in' day of my vacation. I opened the door and a very smelly, tall blonde woman pushed her way in and said she heard I had water and phone problems. Told her the phone worked fine, but no water. And then she left.

Any one not paying in British Pounds had best check they're truly being charged what they should. I was overcharged about $50. When I called to question and advised I had documentation as to what the exchange rate was that day, I was told I'd be called back. Never was. Helen took care of it immediately when I spoke to her about it.

Would I stay here again? Living thousands of miles away and not being able to afford to come but once every 5 years, no, I don't think I could take a chance on this comedy of errors happening again. I know a lot of this, and other issues edited out, are "little" things. There were just too many "little things". This is not my first stay in an English accommodation (this is the 4th). I loved the size of the room. I loved it was, literally, a 3 minute walk from hotel door to tube station steps. I felt extremely safe walking at night, or in the early morning hours, by myself. I loved having a fridge and a microwave. But, there was no place to put my luggage (luggage racks). There's no list in the kitchen of the things you should have so you can call if you don't have something you're supposed to.

The employees were never rude (except for the "ice lady" at the bar). But there was no sense of urgency about ANY issues. It was as if the attitude was "Oh, you have a problem. So sorry!" I have worked at a hotel here in the states and, as a military vet, I am well aware of the "angry American" attitude some of us seem to project. I tried very hard to make excuses and be understanding. Other than Remy, Helen and Emmanuel, no one seemed to care. This just isn't what I'm accustomed to, especially for the amount of money I paid. This was a dream trip that was every thing but. In fairness of disclosure, both Emmanuel and Helen adjusted my bill for my issues, but it wasn't enough for me to want to try again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank FirstNo
WayneMortensen, Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback, which is genuinely important to us in evaluating the service and facilities of our hotel. I would very much like to have the opportunity to speak to you in person regarding your experience and will endeavour to get in contact at the earliest opportunity. In the interim, once again please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during your time with us.

I do feel it is pertinent that I respond on the issues you highlighted as our commitment to listening and reacting to the feedback of our guests are an integral part of our service philosophy. Unfortunately, on the day of your arrival there was a localised power outage that did cause a temporary loss of operating systems, resulting in a short a period of time where guests were inconvenienced as we switched to manual systems. We are very sorry for the delay this caused; all apartment do come with central heating, our standard during the winter months, the period you stayed, is to set the radiator to neutral, which allows them to be regulated to the outside temperature by our automated central heating system during winter months. The system can be adjusted by the guest in each room or switched off entirely if they wish; We did not experience Wi-Fi or internet issues after the power outage, however on occasion we have found that guest’s may need to adjust their individual security settings. Both Dolphin House and the Wi-Fi provider offer 24 hour assistance. I am somewhat surprised to note your comments with respect to the beds. All apartments have hypnosis beds, similar to what is found in leading 5 star hotels in London. Indeed, we receive a considerable amount of feedback from our guests advising us how comfortable they are. Our credit card payment system does allow guest to pay in their own currency should they choose. The rate of exchange will always be lower than what the major credit card companies charge or advertise at the time of payment. I will investigate complaint about not having any water and the follow up, and the poor service from one individual in the Bar & Grill.
With reference to Dolphin House being a hotel. If I may clarify Dolphin House is a serviced apartment product and not to be confused with a Hotel. Whilst we offer an extensive service compared to that of most of our serviced apartment competitors, like a 24hour reception, we do not offer full hotel services.
It was most gratifying to note you found a number of our team helpful in assisting with the issues you have mentioned. In that respect, as I have mentioned earlier, I will endeavour to get in contact at the earliest opportunity.
Kind Regards,
Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager
Stokesley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

First appearances were good. Large bed, kitchen area huge room. However the towel rail didn't work, the vanity light in the bathroom didn't work and still didn't work after we had reported the faults and there was not any note left to excuse them. Then we found the shaver socket didn't work. In fact the bathroom was a bit tired and old.
Bit of a shame because the kitchen area is useful. The gardens nice. The gym etc looked useful
And the location near Pimlico tube is good. Not too expensive either. Oh and don't get a room road side if possible!
Might go back again though as the size of the room is excellent for the money!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grumpypete
WayneMortensen, Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback. I was dissapointed that you had issues during your stay with us. I have taken note of them and am looking in to them in more detail. It is from feedback that guests give us that we try and improve the service we provide. Kind Regards, Wayne Mortensen, Assistant Manager