“Excellent”
Review of Grove Hill Hotel

Grove Hill Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Grove Hill Hotel
Ranked #830 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Liverpool
“Excellent”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Been going to this hotel for 20 years and find the staff excellent an been through different ownership an never encountered any problems. Been looked after very we'll an any issues sorted out straight away albeit a rarity. Price and value for money is very good especially for London! Looking forward to my next stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Edwin S, Public Relations Manager at Grove Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for your kind words and positive review. We do aim to please and rectify any problems encountered as soon as we become aware of them. We do hope you enjoy many more occasions staying with us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was to be a fabulous family weekend in London for my sisters Civil Partnership. I had originally made direct telephone contact with the manager of Grove Hill (Mario [--]) earlier in 2014 to book four en-suite rooms for myself and my children and their partners.
I then confirmed all of my requirements by email to Mr [--] and I received a reply to say that all rooms were booked.
I did have to change one of the rooms from a double en-suite to a single en-suite, but again, this was relayed via email to Mr [--] who did again, on the 27th May reply to say that my bookings and changes were fine.
Myself and my wife arrived on the Friday as we required two nights, whilst my children only required the Saturday night. I was handed a “post it” note for me to write my name on, which immediately indicated that I was not dealing with a professional outfit.
I was asked to pay my £100 up front, which I didn’t mind too much but asked if I could also pay for one of my children at the same time (the single room)
The lady at the hatch (I would like to say reception, but it was very far from that) shrugged her shoulders and said that she did not have a booking. I then worriedly enquired about the other two rooms only to be greeted by shrugged shoulders and to be told that there was also no booking for those.
I enquired whether there were rooms available only to be told that there were not.
I then produced a full printout of the emails that had been exchanged and it was quite clear to the lady that the incompetence lay firmly on the shoulders of Mr [--] and her attitude towards myself and my wife did change to one of being more sympathetic to our dilemma.
She did however start to tell me that she had worked at the hotel for nine years and that My [--] was constantly doing this to her and guests. She did also look at some options available which would have meant party members doubling up, having no en-suite etc. etc. and she did eventually telephone Mr [--].
Both sides of the conversation could be heard VERY clearly by myself and my wife and at one point he said “These STUPID PEOPLE did not confirm their booking” at which point the lady handed me the phone.
[--] was then extremely unhelpful, offered no alternative, did not apologise and just said “If I do not have the rooms then there is nothing that I can do”
Fortunately, the lady was a little more helpful and allowed me time to contact my children to advise them of the mess and alternatives available, which in reality they had very little choice but to accept.
There is little point in me going on further about the state of the hotel/guest house but I think that VERY VERY POOR IN ALL ASPECTS just about covers it accurately. The double glazing in my room whereby the cavity was half full of water was a very interesting concept!
Checkout was also disgusting as we were at least expecting a goodwill gesture of a discount but this was point blank refused. I also pointed out that their website advised that there was a 5% student discount (of which one of my children qualified for) but this too was point blank refused.
At this point I asked for Mr [--] to be summoned to the hotel and the lady disappeared, never to be seen again. A girl eventually arrived who did give the student discount and a very small discount off two of the other rooms. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL IF YOU ARE SEEKING A STRESS FREE VISIT TO OUR CAPITAL.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank DavidCF67
Michael C, Public Relations Manager at Grove Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
This review describes a 'problem' essentially created by the author's own making. Despite us doing everything to improve a difficult situation, on arrival and during their stay, with apologies and discounts, the guests left without complaining to us about their stay, and have rather, turned on us, after the event, on-line.

Enquiries to reserve rooms for a wedding party commenced back in January this year. A request for a discount for a block booking was received from the person coordinating the reservation and this person was informed that this would be considered once it was established what the actual final numbers would be. After several emails and phone calls were exchanged, due to amendments of rooms and so on, a booking was confirmed with generous discounts. However soon afterwards, changes were made, once again, as well as duplicate bookings from some people, in the same party, made via a booking agency. This caused great confusion and a request was made that confirmation was required one week before arrival as to who was actually coming, the full names and the breakdown of the room configurations.

The party coordinator was also informed that due to the large booking, payment would be required in advance by Debit or Credit card in advance. Nothing further was heard from anyone, during which time rooms were being filled, partly because of the
Tour De France 2014 which was passing at the top end of our road.

On the Friday, the reviewer arrived at the Hotel who were not booked in. The Staff are trained to accommodate people as best they can if such a situation arises. A room was available for this couple, albeit admittedly with a defective window pane, the seal having broken down and a new one having been ordered, two weeks ago.

The CCTV relating to what happened on arrival is quite clear and contradicts what the reviewer claims to have taken place. Our Polish Receptionist/Housekeeper, as is always, was polite and helpful and the gentleman was rude, irate and very objectionable when asked for a credit card or debit card, as this is our is our policy, much the same as any other similar establishment. This gentleman was increasingly raising his voice and our Receptionist was trying to appease him throughout. The gentleman had a broad Yorkshire accent and the Receptionist was finding it difficult to understand what he was saying and handed him a 'Post it Note' for him to write down his name for cross checking. To assert that anyone who uses such stationary is not 'professional' is, in our view, quite unfair, she was merely asking for him to verify his details.

As regards, the additional rooms, again our staff remained helpful and clearly told the gentleman that everything would be done to accommodate them and any 'blame' was of the lesser importance at the present time but could be addressed later. Staff then telephoned a senior Manager, who was at a family funeral, to inform him of the dilemma. The gentleman was spoken to politely on the telephone and advised that all would be done to rectify any problems. The reviewer's version of what was said is entirely incorrect. Far from being rude the member of staff on the end of the phone was very assuring and pointed out that should there be insufficient rooms (which was not the case) all efforts would be made to find an alternative hotel at our expense.

To assert that we are 'poor in all aspects' in capital letters, is a generalisation and criticism that is unjustified and somewhat vindictive in tone. The double room was ensuite and thoroughly clean. It has been refurbished in the past few months and apart from the defective seal in the window pane, everything was functional.

If it was really that bad, why did they stay they second night?

I do not understand why or how the reviewer can describe a 'checking out' as 'disgusting'. Mention is made of discounts. The reviewer, despite his failure to adhere to the terms of the original deal offered, we again offered the special discounted price of £50.00 per night for his room (usually £65.00 per night). Similar discounts were offered for the other rooms in their party. A Twin was discounted from £65.00 to £40.00 and a Single from £37.00 to £30.00. These prices include VAT and a Full English Breakfast of which the entire party, enthusiastically appeared to enjoy, with our staff, catering to their individual needs and requests.

One of the party approached staff with a Student Card to claim a further discount that was offered for students on a website, through which the party had not booked. To appease the situation and in an attempt to further suppress any bad feelings, Staff reduced their bill by a further 5%. The reviewer is being untruthful to say that this request was 'point blank refused' as it was permitted. These were not in our opinion small discounts considering the overheads and inclusiveness in the room rate.

These premises have been trading for over 40 years and we have repeat business from long term customers who have used our facilities for much of this time. We have a very good occupancy rate and always aim to please. Any genuine and valid criticism is always welcome but in this instance we feel that whatever we did did, certain members of this party could not be pleased, even had we offered all the rooms gratis.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I booked a twin room at the grove hill hotel after booking I read the review board and very nearly cancelled my booking as a lot of the reviews were so bad. I'm really pleased I never cancelled.
A beautiful old end of terraced house with many of the original features. There were two lovely polish ladies who booked us in and cooked breakfast.
The breakfast was lovely and relaxed, u have the choice of full English or cereals and toast, tea coffee and juice all of which was enjoyable.
Cleaner came each morning to offer clean sheets and to top up our tea and coffee and were very polite.
We only stayed from Friday to Sunday and we genuinely didn't want to leave.
We even bought the polish ladies a bunch of flowers to say thankyou.
Thankyou to all the grovehill staff for making us welcome.
Can't wait to come again.
Sharon and tayla.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Sharon M
grovehillhotel, Manager at Grove Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your very kind sentiments. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and are glad that you gave us an opportunity to receive you as guests.

We always do try to make our guest's time with us as comfortable as possible and we endeavour to address any issues or problems as they arise, if within our control, at the time or as soon as reasonably practicable, if notified of them.

Our Staff would like to express gratitude for the very generous gift, they are still being enjoyed as I write. We do look forward to you visiting us again.

Andrew
Shotts
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed for 10 nights and had no hot water in my room for three nights as I work long days you would expect a hot shower when you get in , when I complained I was told to use the shower in another room then I didn't get clean towels for three days when I asked for clean towels they gave me two bath matts and said there laundry hadn't been , bed was never changed and as the company I work for had booked for 12 nights I only stayed for 10 they still charged for 12 very very poor .

• Stayed May 2014
10 Thank Derek1234567890
grovehillhotel, General Manager at Grove Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Derek,

We are very disappointed that two months after your stay, you have vindictively chosen to publicly air your complaints, having left the premises with hardly a mention of any issues, apart from the defective shower. You have chosen to cloud the true picture with pure lies. Accordingly, I will address your points in the order that you mention them here.

Regarding the shower, you mentioned that the shower was 'not working' on the third day of your stay, our on site Handyman immediately tested this, in your presence and it was working fine. He set it to a temperature that you agreed was 'fine' and the following day you complained again that the water was cold. The Handyman tested it again and found it to working as before. You were given keys to a nearby room which was vacant to use the bathroom there whilst we monitored your shower. Despite being offered a different room, you were adamant that you wanted to stay in your room. It was established that Thames Water had been working in the street and that the water pressure for the entire street had been affected by these works. Indeed, as a result, we had problems with two other showers and three WC's in the building. As the shower in your room was about three years old, we decided to replace it anyhow and upgrade it. A new one was fitted on day 4 of your stay. You were again offered to change rooms whilst this was carried out but you refused the opportunity as you said you
'like this room ' and it was 'no problem as long as I can use the bathroom in the other room' , which of course you continued to.

Later that day, it was established that the new shower had a manufacturer's defect, beyond our control and an engineer from the Firm attended the next day and repaired the fault. You were asked if the shower was working the next day and you said 'yes everything is fine' that was the end of the matter regarding the shower on day 5. You could have easily moved to another room but you chose to stay put.

You mention not receiving clean towels. The truth of the matter is that as you were singularly occupying a double room, on arrival, you had two sets of towels, two bath and two hand towels. You also took the two sets of towels laid out in the room that we gave you the keys to use the bathroom. So you had four sets of towels for a ten day stay. As regards the bath mats, you asked the Housekeeper to change your bath mat which she gladly did. You also took the clean bath mat from the other room.

Most hotels these days have notices in their rooms asking Guests to
'Consider the Environment' when asking for towels to be replaced. We as a Company, do not have such notices and rely on our Guests to use common sense and goodwill with regards to these issues and to be reasonable. We strive to please and of course would give out a fresh towel when a request is received but there must be limitations. We are a 'Budget Hotel' and to retain our comparatively low tariffs, we have to monitor our overheads. As regards your sheets being changed, you never asked us to change your sheets and on the two occasions when you were offered a sheet change, you sent the Housekeeper away saying 'no i'm OK'

In respect of your assertion that 'I only stayed for 10 they still charged for 12', we should put the record straight. Your Company booked you a room through an Agency at a greatly discounted rate for 12 nights. They paid for your stay on the Company Credit Card. You appeared at the reception desk into day 11 of your stay and handed back the keys saying you had finished early and was going home early. You made no request for a refund and indeed, we could not make any refund to you as your Company had paid for this and any refund would have had to be made to your Company, not you. We have a cancellation policy. Should your company wish to make representations to us regarding any refund, this will be considered on its merits.

Finally, we feel your Ratings in your review of our premises are pure contemptuous and unjustifiable.

How you rate us low on 'Value' is in our opinion is utter nonsense.

Your discounted rate of £54.00 per night for a newly refurnished double room inclusive of VAT and a Full English Breakfast. Tea and Coffee making facilities in the room and free Bathroom Products included. Free unlimited BT Broadband WiFi. New TV's in all rooms. Your room had views right across London and one of the best rooms we have. We are situated in a good class residential street in a great part of Town, near to shops, restaurants the Underground, a Cinema and 400 acres of Epping Forest and four stops to the Olympic Park Stratford.

You rate us at the low end for 'Location' you do not suggest why we are in a bad location, we are factually in a fantastic location!

You rate us lowest for 'Rooms', 'Cleanliness' and 'Service'. I have responded to your comments about our service and our rooms. You make no comment regarding 'Cleanliness' . Our rooms are spotless, at no time did you complain to us about any such matters.

We are sorry we did not meet your requirements, but for reasons known only to you we consider your review purely malicious.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The location is perfect, very close to amenities and shops and about 8 min walk to the station the hotel inside looked not very clean and very old I imagined it from the photos to be comfortable nice looking place, shame on the looks

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fran N
Michael C, Public Relations Manager at Grove Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
We are sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay with us. Unfortunately, you booked one of the only two rooms that have not been refurbished, although one of these has since been upgraded. Even so, these rooms are very clean and tidy, Tye Duty Manager checks each room personally prior to them being offered. We were entirely full at the time you stayed and you booked your room at a greatly discounted rate 30% off the usual price. This included Full English Breakfast, VAT, free Wifi, toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities in the room. We feel that we offer great value for money.
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 12 May 2014

booked this hotel for 8 nights the manager rudly kicked us out by saying we smoked in the room which we didnt and theres a fire alarm aswell it would of gone off they called the police as the came they made a reference even said it was completly wong disagreed with the manager attitude and wanting us out with no money back for the 2 nigths we havent stayed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank y-mtj
grovehillhotel, General Manager at Grove Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
You indeed stayed with your boyfriend at our premises having booked a room at a discounted rate and had booked in for a weeks stay. On the the Thursday of your stay the Housekeepers noticed that there was a very strong smell of herbal cannabis smoke coming from your room and you were kindly asked you to stop. You were warned of the consequences of repeating your actions and the reasons for our policy were explained, including the fact that it illegal to do so and was a fire hazard. We operate a strict 'No Smoking Policy' in throughout our premises, certainly not drugs, it is a condition of our Insurance Policy in any event. The incident was recorded and I was duly informed as the Manager. Later that day, our gardener witnessed both you and your boyfriend leaning out of the window at different times, both smoking and throwing discarded rolled 'joints' out of the window and other litter. This was also reported to me. I tried to speak to you again about this but you had both gone out.

The following morning at 10.30am you came to the office and asked if you could have some breakfast as you had missed the 8.30am deadline. I arranged for some breakfast for you which you consumed in the dining area. At about 11am, the Housekeepers again smelt cannabis smoke coming from your room. They immediately notified me of this and I went to your room which you opened. Your boyfriend claimed that he had not been smoking anything but merely 'rolling some very strong skunk weed'. There was evidence of cigarette use on the top of a chest of drawers, ash and tobacco. The smell of drugs was even noticeable on the floor above your room. You were the only guests remaining in that morning. You were told in no uncertain terms that this would not be tolerated as you had been warned about this and were asked to pack your bags and leave the premises. Your boyfriend became aggressive and threatening and came to the office demanding to stay. Both of you then protested that you had not been smoking despite all the staff saying you had been. You maintained that you had 'strong skunk weed' and only smoked this outside. You were informed that it was illegal to possess such substance in the UK and we would not condone it. Your boyfriend became increasingly violent in his attitude and the Police were called to help us eject you.

In the presence of the Police, you were offered reimbursement but your boyfriend refused to sign for the sum. You were then advised to write to the owners of the business.

In the presence of the Police, your boyfriend, tried to steal our keys from us by hiding them in his bag, despite the police warning him. He claimed to have thrown them out of the window and then said that they were in the wardrobe. After being threatened with arrest, he eventually took the the keys and fob and threw these angrily at one of the Housekeepers again in the presence if the officers. Most of this incident and your admissions of drug use has been documented on our CCTV system and observed by the Police, it is a mystery why you choose now to attempt to wriggle out of your illegal and dreadful behaviour, maybe the drugs were clouding your judgement?

It should be noted that the Booking Agency has since banned you for life with booking with them in the future after we presented them with the evidence of your stay with us.
Bourg Saint Maurice, France
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed here at short notice over the Christmas period as everywhere else was full up. Took one of the last rooms available and negotiated a better rate.

It was just what I needed, clean and tidy. The breakfast was nice and unlimited free wifi.

I have booked to stay again next weekend when I'm back in London.

• Stayed December 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Travelodge London Chigwell
Travelodge Snaresbrook
Travelodge Snaresbrook
#557 of 1,069 in London
Holiday Inn Express London - Chingford - North Circular

Been to Grove Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!