“Worse Event I have Ever Attended”

We can't find prices for this hotel
No 5 Cavendish Square
Ranked #797 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Worse Event I have Ever Attended”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My girlfriend and I arrived for the Sunday Rooftop BBQ event via a Groupon we purchased (Namely Rooftop BBQ Party: All-You-Can-Eat Grill)

All I can say that this was the worse, unorganized and ridiculous event I have ever been to in my life.

We arrived at 5:10pm and want straight into the line for the BBQ. We were in line for an hour and 45 minutes for the 'all you can eat bbq' which, plainly, looked like it was ran by a bunch of jokers!!

Numerous people in the QUE complained AND to top it all off, after reaching the front of the Que at 6:30pm, they had run out of plates! What a joke - for an event deemed 'all you can eat' (I should also mentioned there was about 15 sausages cooked and about 10 chicken wings, with 30+ people in the que behind us!)

At this point we again, waited another 20 minutes as, in the words of the gentleman operating this Fiasco at the actual BBQ 'We have had to send someone to Tesco to get paper plates'.

After this 20 minute additional wait for plates we decided to give in, we grabbed a napkin and simply had our TWO pieces of chicken and a cold Quorn, not meat, sausage that was given to us.

1hour 45 minutes for two pieces of dodgy cooked piece of chicken and a cold sausage. Do not waste your time or money - head to side street chicken store and get yourself higher grade chicken at the same price (yes, that's how bad the food was at this place)

While the concept sounds great - Rooftop BBQ - It is run by Sunday Job Jokers, Delivering a poor meal (its not hard to cooked sausages and chicken lads - appears it takes you, what feels like, 12 years for a piece of meat ) and 'All you can eat' advertisement is simply a joke!!!

Groupon is dealing with the refund!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AJW2209

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Horsham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We arrived late at night before very important business meeting next day.

The lights did not work and yet I had an hour's work to do before a good night's sleep and an early start the next day. It took them an hour to sort out the lights (trying light bulbs, extra lamps etc, before realising it was a blown fuse. The refused to move us saying they didn't have any other made up rooms. Once the fuse was sorted out, the room was dark and dingy and it was too late to commence the work I needed to do.

The room was excessively hot (heating too high) and we had to open the windows, but were then disturbed by sounds from a bar or night club until late.

The bed was uncomfortable with a mattress that had seen better days and I hardly slept at all. There was a silverfish in the bathroom.

When checking out the next morning I asked them to consider reducing the room rate, as the two things I needed to do in the room- work and sleep, I had been unable to do. They refused to discuss the matter or even apologise and refused to get the manager. I then paid, only to discover later that they had charged me £50 more than on the invoice.

This was a horrible hotel to stay in particularly on a night when I needed to be fresh and prepared for the next day. It was not cheap, even before the extra £50 was added. I have stayed in far more comfortable cleaner hotels in London with more polite staff for a 1/3 of the price.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SSwabey

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed here only one night while working in London. It's not in a bad location, being about 5mins walk off Oxford Street. The staff were quite polite. I didn't use the bar or nightclub that are in the same building so I comment only on the hotel. It's a boutique hotel with about 8 rooms which are all quite dramatically decorated. While this added character, my room was all a very deep red colour with only a couple of small yellow lamps. This meant I could hardly see a thing in the room so had to go into the bathroom to do anything. The bathroom however was very sumptuous and perfectly clean, although the shower was over the bath which I always dislike. Breakfast the next morning was in a pleasant room but there were no staff around to help. No hot food available, just fruit, yoghurt, cold meats and cheeses. Not bad though. It's not a bad hotel and my stay was comfortable but I have stayed in much better hotels in London in this price bracket so won't be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Loved this hotel, suite was very sumptuous. Bed very comfy, slept like a log. Bathroom very large, separate walk in shower and bath. Will definitely stay again. Very close to shops and museums etc. Had a suite at the back of the hotel and it was quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Christiane V
Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2010

Stayed for one night mid-week. Hotel was booked by my work's travel company and is normally all paid for but the hotel didn't seem to work to this policy so I had to pay on my own credit card. Not a huge deal but not what I expected. Room was ok size, cosmetically it was dark red and not really my cup of tea. The Bbed was comfy but room seating was not very relaxing. Room was quite noisy because of the bar, the bedside lights didn't work, there was no hairdryer and the toilet seat was off the hinge. Breakfast was included in my rate but when I went down at 7.30 (not that early on a working day I thought) there was no-one there to serve so I left and grabbed breakfast at a cafe instead. I was really looking forward to staying in this hotel but it was not up to scratch at all. This is the first poor review I have given on trip advisor.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Flightsocks
Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

Booked this hotel for two nights mid-week for a great price. Great location, beautiful rooms, fun place downstairs with their multiple restaurants, bar and own club. The screw-up though cost them their final star. As I said, booked for two nights. The day I showed up though they told me they were booked out the following night and I could only stay for one night. They offered to find me another place but this is [--]. They even said they had a larger booking for the following night. I know what happened. They needed my room for this booking and hence bumped me. This is so dumb. I actually liked the place a lot but for this behavior, I won't be back. I've been to London often and have a couple places I really like. I simply thought to try out something new and decided to test this place. Finally, another star is lost since their elevators kept breaking down and I was running up and down to the fourth floor for the whole stay. This is unforgivable, especially with heavy bags. They didn't offer anyone to come and carry my bags. Oh well, if they cut the booking crap, this is a good find. Go ahead and try it out if you want to risk their shady behavior. Otherwise, there are plenty of other good places you can find in this range that have a bit of everything that are just as good.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank Joizee_HD
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2008

Booked this hotel through hotels-london.com and got it for £147 mid week, which I think is an excellent price for such a lovely hotel (its rack rate is way higher, and even discounted most nights it is closer to £200).

Gorgeous boutique style rooms, very ornate and glam, with flat screen TV, very good mini bar (drinks and imaginative snacks), bath robes, huge bath (big enough for two), beautiful and clean.

Reception staff very helpful, and the bar downstairs is very sultry and romantic, though drinks not cheap - but then this is London.

Didn't have time for breakfast (we were up late, the bed was sooo comfortable!) so can't comment on that, but the room service food was delicious.

Compared to other bland, business hotels at the £200 mark, this is way more attractive - close to the tube and all the attractions.

Apparently has an excellent restaurant as well

• Liked — Really beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank solarina