“Excellent value for money”

Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel
Ranked #93 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed here 2 days ago for a anniversary and graduation present.
I contacted the manager in advance to arrange a something for us in the room before we arrived, he was prompt to reply and very helpful.

When we arrived not only was the hotel gorgeous and modern but so was the room and bathroom. The gift was in the room waiting for us when we arrived which was at 1pm.

We had a view of the Thames from our room and if you leaned a little closer to the window you could see the O2 arena.

I recommend, if traveling by tube, to arrive either in Canning town or Canary Wharf tube station and take the DLR to Blackwall which is included in the price of a travel card and is a less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

I will stay here again future.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
agarner07, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I do hope you enjoyed your weekend with us for such a special occasion. I am delighted to see you would recommend the hotel and am pleased that you felt so well accommodated on arrival.

We are always happy to arrange some extras as you did and you are always to welcome to contact the front desk regarding these as we do have special packages that are available for particular occasions such as birthdays or anniversaries.

I am glad to see you were pleased with the view from your bedroom. Some of the standard rooms do overlook the river partially but for that really special wow factor, the river view deluxe rooms are an absolute must. They look directly over the river providing fantastic views towards the 02 Arena.

If I can be of any future assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly via the hotel and I would be happy to help.

Jane Tones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Higham Ferrers
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Great hotel with fabulous views of the river/O2.

I stayed here recently with work and was lucky enough to have a deluxe river view room which was fantastic - large, clean, well equipped and beneffiting from a spectacular view of the river/O2 from both the bedroom and bathroom.

Quick and effiicient check-in and concierge took immediate care of the valet parking (v. reasonble £12 for 48 hrs).

Our rate included a free drink at the bar (to the value of £15) which was a nice touch. The bar, athough quite small, is modern with a good range of wines available. Watch out of you order a bowl of nuts with your drink - we assumed these would be complementary but when checking out, it appears that we were charged £5+ for these.

As our rate didn't include breakfast plus we had an early start, we selected their room service breakfast option. This arrived on time but was in a brown carrier bag and the hot drinks served in disposable cups with lids and the danish pastries in cellophane. This is absolutely fine for a 'grab and go' breakfast, but if you are expecting a tray with china, milk jug, plates etc., you might be disappointed.

Also, beware of hidden service charges. I know most hotels add these on nowadays but we were charged £5.95 'optional service charge' on the bill just for having drinks in the bar. When we queried this at reception when checking out it was moved without quibble, so don't think you have to pay it.

Overall, a great hotel. Our only dissapointment was that I wasn't able to spend long enough in the room to make the most of it, so I will definitely be going back for a weekend break in the near future.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a river view if you can...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
agarner07, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I must thank you for your kind and considered words about your recent stay with us. The river view deluxe bedrooms as you rightly say, do have fantastic views over the river towards the 02 Arena. This view can also be enjoyed on the Azura terrace where we offer 50% off drinks every day between 3pm and 6pm. If you stick to your promise of returning for another weekend break, it's definitely worth considering...

I am sorry to see your breakfast was not delivered correctly. This is indeed our 'breakfast on the go' option which perhaps was ordered by mistake as this is on the back of the same card you order the traditionally served room service breakfast. I do apologise if any mistake was made.

I am very happy to see the receptionist who checked you out dealt with your questions correctly. Of course, optional service charge is something added to the bill as an extra which you can chose to remove when settling the bill. We are more than happy if you wish to do this and would never pressure any guest into paying this charge.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Modern, stylish hotel matched with good old fashioned polite, friendly service. Very good breakfast! The reception staff were excellent - happy to chat about directions, shopping, restaurants etc. The hotel is situated some distance from attractions but easily reached by transport links....also a welcome calm retreat after a busy sight seeing day. Really enjoyed our stay and we definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jumick
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to read your recommendation following your stay at the New Providence Wharf Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to provide other readers and myself with your thoughts. One of the most important things to us here is customer service so on this note I will be highlighting your review to the whole team as a sure motivator for their ongoing commitment to the cause. Please do get in touch soon - it would be a pleasure to have you back with us.

Guernsey
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Booked on Superbreak and got a great deal to stay with my friend to go to the Wireless Festival in Hyde Park. On arriving at the tube station we got lost and got a taxi to the hotel, which is in a complex and has a security guard on at all times. On walking into the hotel we were taken away with the beauty of the architecture and its modern feel. We were treated very well by staff, and our room was amazing, the beds were tremendously comfortable, a generously sized bathroom with a bath and a shower, a desk and a TV. The rooms were a lot bigger than I expected. Reception phoned after we got to our room to see if we needed anything and if everything was OK.

We used the bar on our last day of the stay, as the bar has a happy hour between 3-6pm (50% off all drinks) and we were the only people in there and treated like royalty! I would definitely stay here again, even though it is a 15 minute walk to the tube station and 15 minute journey to the centre of London. It may be looked upon as a very business orientated hotel due to the proximity of London's business district, but we were 18 year old festival go-ers that came in a little tipsy at midnight with mud everywhere and not one look was given!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am delighted at the five star rating and fantastic comments you have given us regarding your recent stay. I do hope you enjoyed Wireless Festival. I'm sorry to see you weren't able to locate the hotel at first - for future knowledge the nearest tube station to the hotel is called East India on the DLR and is only a five minute walk from the hotel.

As you say, we do have some corporate guests who will stay with us whilst they are working in the financial district, particularly during the week, but we also love to cater for all our leisure guests as well and I am glad to see you felt welcomed apropriately. With the great transport links into central London, there is never a problem getting to the sights and as you rightly point out, our bedrooms are quite a lot larger than the average London hotel. Being slightly out of the centre allows us this luxury with fantastic views across the river in some of the bedrooms as well. This view can also be enjoyed on the Azura terrace where as you say we offer 50% off all drinks between 3pm and 6pm each day.

I do hope you are considering revisiting us in the near future and I would be delighted to hear from you regarding any reservation you wish to make.

Wells, Maine
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Save between GBP50 to 75 a night over the Marriott. Its a clean, functional hotel about 20 minutes walk from Canary Wharf. However, don't walk if its raining as the roads are open to the elements and the rain blows horizontally; a taxi ride is about GBP5. Hotel food is relatively good for this chain, including a hearty cooked breakfast. Rooms are clean and airy with good quality facilities including flat panel TV, bath and shower. My room was a bit hot at night, but otherwise fine. Irons in the rooms are those that are 'tied' to the board and I don't care for those much. Staff are polite and attentive. My only gripe is the free minibus service that runs from 6:30am every 20 minutes to CW. Its only a 7 minute ride, but they use 6 seaters mini-vans, and I got to sit next to a 300lb man... Apparently they only have one stop at 8 Canada Square - at least the driver didn't volunteer any other options which seemed odd.... Nevertheless, a good option to save a few quid. BTW, the gym equipment is good as well for a hotel.

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to see you were happy with the facilities and service provided during your stay at the New Providence Wharf Hotel. You clearly made good use of many things that we have to offer so I am delighted to see the good impression we have given you.

As you say the shuttle service does only have one stop in Canary Wharf on North Colonnade which is in the very heart of Canary Wharf with only a few minutes walk maximum to anywhere you need to be in that area. If you wish to be taken directly to somewhere specific our front desk staff are always happy to arrange a private minicab to pick you up.

I am glad to see you enjoyed the gym facilities offered in our spa, all free of charge to use from 6am to 11pm. In the spa, there is also a sauna/steam room and relaxation room which is a fantastic place to relax after a long day at work.

If you are returning to the area, please do feel free to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to help with any future reservations.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The hotel is in a rather remote part of London, but close to the DLR so not too much of a problem.

The rooms are quite modern and comfortable.

The downstairs bar is award.

The service leaves much to be desired. During check-in the woman helping needed to ask for help several times during the interaction, leaving us a bit off put. The mini-bar in the room is overpriced, as are all mini-bars, but in this case the prices listed on the bar are different than what the hotel charges. I took a £2 bottle of water and was charged £3. When mentioning this to the staff at checkout they simply stated that the price list was old and they apologized, but charged me anyway.

Will not be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is upsetting to see you did not feel welcomed in the way you should by our staff on check in. I am unsure of who it was that you checked in so I would be pleased if you could contact me to provide further details so I am able to follow up this issue. I will however ensure to speak to the Front Office Manager so she can speak to her team as required.

I truly am sorry that you would not wish to stay at the hotel again as we would relish the chance to improve your opinion of the hotel. I would love to hear from you, were you to reconsider. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will ensure you are well looked after on your return.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The radisson delivered food to our building in Canary Wharf! The food was fantastic way to finish my day! Thanks

Dear Guest,

You are more than welcome for the provisions. I am delighted to see you enjoyed the food. Your comments, and all those from your colleagues below, will certainly be shared with the kitchen staff to ensure the standards are maintained and even improved on.

We would be delighted to help you again sometime in the near future, whether it be food or indeed accommodation.