“A fine place, built largely on greed”
Review of Haymarket Hotel

Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #10 of 1,063 Hotels in London
santa monica
“A fine place, built largely on greed”
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We spent a full week here in this beautifully designed hotel. The location is perfect and the rooms are whimsically designed, but not intrusively so. However the hotel is not content to merely charge outlandish rates, but is always hitting you up for more, which is annoying and verges on insulting. Internet access is $40/day, phone calls are unconscionably expensive, and the restaurant/bar are extremely over-priced for the indifferent food & service that they offer. Most annoyingly, the hotel's true design gem is a pool bar (pictures are ubiquitous online). But all but ONE of the six nights that we were here it was strictly off limits to paying guests because they were renting it out for private events. It just isn't right that they market their hotel partly on the basis of a truly delightful feature that they are going to greedily resell to others virtually every night of the year. Also some bizarre oversights - no outlets in the bathroom for hair dryers, and nothing but flood lighting in the bathroom which is either on or off, so forget about a peaceful or romantic bath in the lovely tub. Odd that such obvious things were not thought through.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The fact that the main design/architectural asset of the hotel was off-limits to guests 90% of the time
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
14 Thank wrobbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 25 July 2008

I stayed there on business, loved the location even thought It was hard to find (no apparent signage outside). The staff where friendly and very welcoming, I had an upgrade to a very nice room. The only downside is that the Windows are not double glazed and I could hear the staff (guess the entrance was below my window) the whole night. The rooms are fabulous and the bathrooms are something to write home about, had a TV in front of my bathtub.

• Stayed January 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank blatsea
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2008

this hotel is really individual and breaks the mould of upmarket hotels ,a little hard to find ,but opposite the fantom of the opera !
had afternoon tea there they showed me all the room types ,the yare beautiful look forward to staying there on my next visit to london

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank crabLeeds
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2008

We stayed here for 1 night to celebrate a special birthday. We had booked a "deluxe double" but were upgraded to a junior suite. The room was beautiful and spotlessly clean. The staff were really friendly and extremely helpful. We were even given a tour of the hotel on arrival. A letter was also waiting for us at reception inviting us to a free glass of champagne each in the hotel bar. The reception rooms were equally stylish and the attention to detail in the interior design is super. We especially enjoyed afternoon tea in the conservertory which is a delightful room. The only slight thing to mention is our suite did not have a tv in the bathroom as expected but this didn't bother us but may be worth checking if this important to you! Our room rate included full English breakfast in Brumus the following morning which was good. We also had after theatre snacks in the bar which were good too. My husband swam in the pool which he said was rather cold but ok once you got used to it. Overall an amazing hotel with good friendly and very efficient staff who couldn't do enough for you.

• Liked — spotlessly clean and stylish
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank changingrooms2
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2008

Just returned from a one night stay at the Haymarket Hotel in London. What a find!! It was absolutely fantastic. From the moment we checked in - all the staff were friendly and helpful, arranging for us to have our room early - to the free glasses of champagne because it was my birthday!
The room was beautiful, huge bathroom with large shower, two sinks, telly on the wall to watch whilst in the bath, and lovely complimentary toiletries and big fluffy bathrobes. The bed was enormous and sooooooooo comfortable - easily the best I have ever slept in in a hotel anywhere! We had a small dressing room, with safe and well stocked mini bar. Those drinks were pricey - but aren't they always in hotel mini bars? Best to bring your own! When they turn down the beds in the evening they leave complimentary water, and also small box of chocs - but maybe that was because it was my Bday?
All the public rooms are spotlessly clean, funky and colourful - the library even has an honesty bar where you are able to help yourself and just jot it down and they add it to your bill later.
Downstairs is the pool room - which is unbelievable. Again, really funky with retro gold sofas and a starry sky above - and this huge pool all beautifully lit and very inviting! There's also a small gym down there and treatment rooms for massage and beauty treatments.
We had breakfast included in the room price - which was £270.00. That included full english, tea/coffee, juice and toast. We were charged extra when we got the bill for extra juice which we hadn't realised would be extra - but no great shakes.
The nearest car park is Whitcomb Street just round the corner - about £40 for 24 hours. The staff at the hotel will valet park for you if you want them to.
Without exception, all the staff were smiley - and all spoke english - which seems to be a rarity in hotels these days - even in England!!
We have no complaints whatsoever - only one little point - no tea/coffee facilities in the room - but you could bring a travel kettle if desperate!
Everything was spot on - so book it without any worrys!!!

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank Brenda R
Abbots Langley, Herts
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Highly recommended - we have stayed in sister hotel the Soho - but this is far superior - lovely pool area - sufficient gym - room was gorgeous - as was decor throughout - and spotlessly clean in both room and public areas. Attentive staff - delicious food - and what a location - central and convenient.

• Liked — Location and Ambiance
  • Disliked — No tea making in the room.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janjan6
NYC
Reviewed 9 February 2008

I was recently in London, and chose to change things up a bit.
I have been staying at Brown's in Mayfair and thought I needed a change of scenery. After reading many reveiws of the Haymarket and visiting their website I decided to give it a go.
The hotel is well located in Leicester Square - close enough to be within easy walk of Soho, Covent Garden and many of London's more touristy sites. But far enough off Leicester Square to avoid all the "tourists".
The hotel itself is very pretty - check in was prompt, proffessional and friendly. As I checked in a bit late in the day, they offered to arrange for a light dinner in the hotel and also offered to arrange reservations at nearby restaurants. Although I turned this down, I appreciated the thought very much.
I stayed in a suite, and as you probably have seen from the pics, that they are spacious, plush and well appointed. While I am not a big fan of the style of the decoration, it is very well done, interesting to live in and above all very comfortable. All the rooms have great natural sunlight, and are open and spacious feeling because of the high ceilings. I have stayed in most of the Firmdale hotels, and I cannot say enough about the beds, they are the most comfortable ones I have ever slept in. I wish I could learn the secret. The rooms have wi-fi access and places in the bedroom to plug in our Ipod.
Room service was very prompt and the food very good, albeit a bit pricey.
I used the small gym in the basement, which was fine, the doorman also suggestted a number of places for a good 5k run as well. The downstaris pool is really cool, provided you dont mind sharing the area with a cocktail lounge. But that's whaat makes it cool, I think.
All in all, a very nice stay, very much up to the standards set by its sister hotels - Covent Garden, Charlotte Street, Soho etc.
Highly recommend and I will return.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank DuffCooperJr