“Heavenly Haymarket”

Ranked #8 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Vancouver, BC
“Heavenly Haymarket”
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Why stay anywhere else? The Haymarket has it all, and we enjoyed every moment of our six night stay.
The location is prime, within a few minutes walk you can be at any number of theaters, museums and shops of every description. Piccadilly, Charing Cross and Leicester Square tube stations are all just a few minutes away. Our room faced a blissfully quiet dead-end side street, so nice to come home to for a quick nap mid-day.
The decor throughout is amazingly charming. There are rustic touches here and there, like rough wood stools and slightly edgy contemporary art set against a rather girly palette of pattern and color. There are several public spaces in which you can cozy up with a book and enjoy a cup of tea or an innovative cocktail.
Guestrooms are individually decorated, ours had a very calm feel to it. Decorated in soft blue and cream, we found it superbly comfortable. An incredible king bed sat opposite a fireplace and plasma TV. There was a second TV built into the granite wall above the generously sized tub. All the bells and whistles are here, including very thoughtful touches such as a waterproof remote for the bathroom telly, and a sensor which turns off the tub taps so as to not overflow. There was an enormous shower stall as well, and double basins with great lighting. We had a separate dressing area next to the very well-stocked minibar as well. The room had a desk area with a built-in DVD player, and 2 comfy chairs and a small table where we enjoyed our included Full English Breakfasts. Our room was located on the main floor, but we felt very secure as the windows have locks and there is a wrought iron railing between the sidewalk and the building.
Food was fine but nothing mind-boggling. Brumus Restaurant has an Italian-ish menu with very reasonable prices for such a swank place. You can enjoy a full proper Afternoon Tea here as well (or have it in one of the many lovely areas around the Lobby).
Service is lovely, polite but informal. Concierge services are fine, though we were sent on a long walk to a recommended restaurant only to find it closed, so make sure they call ahead. Desk staff are courteous, and the doormen and wait staff a delight.
A few minor negative comments: one night, very late, we were awoken by someone having a phone conversation. It was so loud we momentarily thought someone was in the room, but this only occurred once and obviously came from an adjacent room. Also I found the scent of the Miller Harris bath products a bit powdery, but many guests rave about them.
Downstairs there is an amazing swimming pool and a richly decorated Bar area. There is also a terrace area upstairs where you can enjoy a cool drink on a warm day.
I would stay here again without hesitation- in fact I can hardly wait to go back. Haymarket is a very special place indeed. The large, comfortable rooms and wonderful service also make it a very good value.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank travelmikeVancouver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
essex england
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I stayed her with my wife and daughter from the 17th to 20th April 2009. The hotel is immaculate and decorated in a trendy 'chintz-chic' style. The staff cannot be faulted and the large indoor pool is a major selling point. One great touch was added when following our failure to operate the DVD, a staff member came promptly to show us and because of the delay brought our 6 year old daughter a bowl of popcorn to accompany her viewing. The breakfasts were also excellent. Two small gripes. They charge for wi-fi and actually overcharged my usage on the bill. WHY do hotels charge for this? Second the location of the hotel means that outside rooms are very noisy late at night when the neighbourhood nightclubs close. I recommend the Haymarket, but one of their sister hotels, the Soho, is even better - and much quieter.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mckad
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Staying at the Haymarket Hotel was really wonderful. As other reviewers mention, the staff is super nice and helpful (although sometimes, not the best informed). I really like the room decor - tasteful and interesting. It was a good size as well. Despite being on a busy, noisy street, the room is super quiet as the windows are well insulated (except the bathroom - but you can shutting the door solves the issue). Breakfast was tasty. Next time - I look forward to checking out some of the other features that hotel offers.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank JSPrima
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We had a fantastic stay at this hotel. It has the whole package! Beautifully decorated, clean & comfortable rooms, very friendly & helpful staff, great lively bar and a wonderful library and conservatory area for a quiet drink. I definitely look forward to my next stay - we wouldn't stay any where else in London now. All this and we unexpectedly had our rooms upgraded! What more could you ask for?

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank AussieExpat02
Cork
Reviewed 7 June 2009

I stayed here with my partner the weekend of the London marathon 2009. It was ideal for him due to its proximity to the finish line of the marathon. The room was gorgeous, the breakfast was lovely and the little nuances really made it a memorable experience. I cannot speaker higher of the standard of service in this hotel. It's such a breath of fresh air to see hotel employees taking such an interest in its guests! Well done!

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ARB81
Atlantic City, NJ
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Just returned from a brief stay at the Haymarket and I couldn't have been happier. Was traveling with 2 little kids (3 and 5) and my wife.

First - location. It is around the corner from the National Gallery and Leicester Square and a short walk to Picadilly circus and a ton of shops, restaurants, etc. Great location.

Service - top notch. Front desk was very helpful with reservations, directions, bags, etc. All were very, very friendly. We were upgraded to a suite too.

Room - modern with a unique, retro touch. Bed was large and comfy. Hi speed 'net. Great minibar although it was too expensive to eat from. Bathrooms were spacious with top amenities, waterproof TV by tub, great shower, 2 sinks, etc.

Lobby serves snacks, cupcakes, tea sandwiches complimentary.

What really blew us away was the pool. The hotel has an amazing underground pool with ceiling lights that look like little stars, an enormous colorful light design at one end of the room, full bar, beautiful wood tables and chairs, changing rooms, and full food service. I've never seen anything like this in a hotel. Not your average hotel or pool.

The hotel was really comfortable and the staff made us feel welcome. They were also very nice to our little kids and everyone greeted them with smiles and hellos.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to London for business or leisure. Only drawback is the high price but then again, hotels in London aren't cheap, and the amenities helped make up for it. Only comment is that for the prices charged, complimentary wi-fi would have been nice.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank dgold313
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 May 2009

This hotel is perfectly located (steps from Trafalgar Square and very central for business), lovely, elegant, and has excellent rooms. Service is mixed - great, if you get the right person - dismissive otherwise. One of the warmest and most gracious welcomes I've ever received when I first arrived, but after my first night, I stopped at the desk on the way out to ask that they check on the shower (almost no hot water pressure at all) and the portable phone (handset didn't work properly). When I returned that evening (I was gone for a good 10 hours), neither had been addressed at all. I asked again on my way out to dinner, and both were fixed (though the phone was replaced with another that didn't work either) by the time I returned later that night.

The only negative about the room other than the things that didn't work is that the in-room safe isn't large enough to accomodate a full-size laptop ... but they were gracious about checking it for me at the front desk.

It's very likely that this will be the hotel I use in London for the foreseeable future. But, there are a few rough edges.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business