“11am checkout - a bed and breakfast standard at first class prices”
Review of Haymarket Hotel

Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #8 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“11am checkout - a bed and breakfast standard at first class prices”
Reviewed 7 April 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night in two consecutive weeks and waited until after the second time to post a review as I really couldn't believe I'd had a bad time until I'd had it twice!
While the hotel is well located and the design is glorious, the welcome is really not up to Firmdale standards. My husband and I arrived late on a Thursday night the first time and asked for a late checkout the following day - being very frequent Firmdale clients this has never been a problem before - and were told we could have a late check out at 12.30 and for anything later we should check with reception in the morning. I thought 12.30 seemed very mean and asked their usual check out time, which I was told was 11am - really a rather 'bed and breakfast' checkout time considering the high prices they charge, and reception offered nothing better in the morning.
The following week, for a midweek stay, we were given exactly the same story - except this time the 'late' check out was 12noon. I returned from a meeting at 11.30, asked for the key and was told I had been checked out already and my bag was being brought down! I took my bag back up to re-pack and had only been there five minutes when housekeeping rang the bell insistently for entry. I was really frustrated and the apology when I got back downstairs - still with 15 minutes to go before the 12 noon deadline - didn't make up for much.
11am is the sort of time I expect to be asked to leave when I am staying somewhere cheap that hasn't hired enough staff to complete the housekeeping in the usual turnaround time, and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you are paying as much as we did - so we won't be going back to the Haymarket.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank Moth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bath
Reviewed 29 March 2010

This is a review of two sides as I stayed at the hotel on two consecutive Tuesdays. The first I was quite dissapointed with the room. It was a nice room but it had funny small windows which made me feel like I was in a bunker. The next week I had an amazing room, sited on a corner with large floor to ceiling windows, beautiful blue and brown curtains and an enormous bathroom with walk in shower. Delightful.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Kate6161
Bath
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Quirky elegance. Completely blown away by decor. Service second to none, friendly and very helpful. Fortunate to have a suite, extremely comfortable. Amazing experience for all of us.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank florenceBath
London
Reviewed 22 January 2010

I booked this hotel for a one-night stay for my husband's birthday. Was so looking forward to it, as we have stayed at the Soho, Covent Garden and Charlotte St Hotels and to say I'm a fan of Firmdale Hotels is a massive understatement!

The room was lovely but on the ground floor. It was a Saturday night and there was a loud function downstairs -- quite busy with a bouncer and all sorts -- in the basement pool area. Techno music and guests shouting. At 2am I rang down to reception to complain (which I hated doing as I didn't want to spoil my husband's birthday). They apologised and said they would get the music turned down. It finally stopped about 3am. The next day reception rang back to offer us a late checkout. Unfortunately we couldn't stay to enjoy it as we had plans.

I was sad about this experience as it wasn't cheap, although on booking I consoled myself with the thought it would be worth it, and I really wanted to treat my hubbie. Sadly it probably wasn't worth it. Comfy and huge as the bed was, we didn't get a good night's sleep, which was partly the whole point! Perhaps I should have been more assertive and asked for a discount, but I didn't want to make a fuss on his birthday. Feel a bit regretful about it all. If you're planning on going -- and it is a lovely hotel - I would avoid the ground floor!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
18 Thank rollergirlLondon
Ireland
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I felt compelled to write after our recent stay at the Haymarket hotel for two nights over New Year. Firstly the commuication from initial booking to our stay was easy and polite. We arrived from N Ireland on a wet morning to a warm welcome and to find we had been upgraded to a two bedroom suite (having booked a deluxe junior suite).

We took brollies and headed for Hamleys with twins aged 9. We arrived back to the most incredible suite we have ever stayed it. It was room 312 which had two huge beautiful bedrooms along with a gorgeous sitting room and three bathrooms (tvs in baths made the kids happy) plus two dressing rooms with heaps of closet space. Private, peaceful and decorated in a really quirky, modern and luxurious style. We never heard any other guests or new years eve revellers.

The beds were huge, comfy with super soft frette sheets and the room temperature was perfect. The only down side of all this is that the kids are now thoroughly spoiled and want us to come back to the same rooms ASAP!! I can see our next hotel suffering by comparison and us suffering very dissatisfied children.

We chose this hotel because of good reviews here and for the pool for children, having previously stayed in other Firmdale hotels without the children. They were made so welcome and we booked a lovely babysitter for 3 hours one afternoon through the hotel and she took the children swimming before organising milk and cookies and a dvd in the room.

The location was excellent was it was 10 minutes walk anywhere - Regent/Bond/Oxford Streets, The Thames, Covent Garden and lovely walks on the Mall, National Gallery (5 mins).

Before leaving we asked to see the room we had originally booked (for future reference as we will definitely use this hotel again) and while not as spacious as our upgrade, obviously, it would still have been a fabulous room as it was large, the decor was a similar signature style and the bathroom was the same (except no tv in the bath).

We ate in Brumus once for a quick pre theatre meal and it fitted the bill perfectly. Breakfast was very tasty although the service was not the fastest ever. Overall we couldn't fault the Haymarket, it was brilliant and I recommend it highly. It made a good New Year's trip into a great one!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank wanderingstar68
Calgary
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I don't usually take the time to write reviews on hotels -- unless I've had a "very happy" or "very unhappy" experience. Our stay at the Haymarket is definitely in the "very happy" category.

In fact, it's probably the best all round hotel I've ever stayed in -- and I don't say that lightly.

Let's start with the facilities - which are in great shape. Everything works -- which can't always be said of British "boutique" hotels. Our room was fantastic -- large and bright with great decor. The bathroom was huge -- with a shower that actually worked -- which is unique in London hotels.

But the service is the best part. The folks at the Haymarket behave like they acutally like their guests! We got to know all the staff by name -- and vice versa. The staff in the restaurant were particularly pleasant -- remembering what I liked for breakfast and what paper I read.

A couple of other bonuses are worth mentioning. First the swimming pool is first rate - and a rare thing in a central London hotel. We used it a lot after a long day of sightseeing. The second plus is the location. It's extremely well located to west end theatres, restaurants and shops. We walked to most of our venues. And, if we needed to take the tube -- we had Piccadilly station right near by.

Yes, it's expensive -- but wereally feel that we got lots of bang for my bucks at the Haymarket.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank NJCCalgary
Malta
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I'll start off this review by stating that every nook and cranny of this hotel is designed beautifully. The design and decor of the Haymarket is beyond amazing. The conservatory is a great place to relax and have a cup of tea or coffee after a day of shopping.
The service is great; the staff at the front desk are very helpful and most of them addressed us by our name after only our first night there.
The breakfast is lovely; the menu presents a wide variety of choices. The restaurant is also very good... we had dinner twice there and both times it was excellent.
The room and bathroom are also beautiful... very spacious and comfortable. Probably my only complaint would be the noise! Everyday at around 3/4am during our 4 day stay we were woken up by the noisy party-goers outside. Their shouting and laughing would go on for a whole hour... probably until some policeman shoos them away. The noise was so loud that it was literally as if these people were talking and shouting inside the room. Needless to say better insulated windows should be installed.
The pool area is amazing... obviously the focal point of the hotel. It is a great place to enjoy a drink at the bar.
The location is also extremely convenient! just down the road from Piccadilly circus; round the corner from Leicester/ Trafalgar square and so on.

• Stayed December 2009