“Great little place”
Review of Blue Nile Cafe

Blue Nile Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Nile Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #363 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$10 - US$19
Cuisines: Italian, African, Ethiopian
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Blue Nile is a family run Eritrean - Italian cafe and restaurant, harking back to Eritrea's colonial history. Our menu has a mix of Italian and Eritrean classics, from Italian coffees, pasta and ice-creams to Eritrean 'kemem' tea (tea infused with cloves, cinnamon, star anise and ginger), warm 'ful', meat stews infused with cardamom and cinnamon and cooked in 'tesmi', a warm and comforting spiced butter and our delicious home made sweet cardamom flavoured bread called 'himbasha'. A lot of our recipes are gluten - free and we have a wide range of vegetarian dishes.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Great little place”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This is a fantastic place, we've been a couple of times, always good to try different food and they've made the most of the sausage factory interior and couldn't have looked after us better.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank nicknepal

Vastim
“Excellent food, warm service, unique environment”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I visited this place with a friend and I was blown away by the food. I had never tried Eritrean food before, so the owner kindly asked if we had been there before and if we had tried the food. She explained thoroughly everything and the food came very quickly. I love the sour dough pancake and I will definitely be going back. If you are local or just visiting Woolwich then you must try it. The atmosphere is also great and the prices extremely reasonable.

3 Thank VasTim
London, United Kingdom
“At last, a hidden oasis of authentic & healthy food in Woolwich!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I ventured into this little cafe by myself as I had time to spare and had a lovely experience.

I'd never tried Eritrean food before (only Ethiopian) and I wasn't disappointed. You probably couldn't get more of a contrast to the all those nasty fried chicken shops in the centre of Woolwich!

This is food from the heart, the cafe has a really relaxing and warm feel to it which is helped by the owner who is so calm and hospitable. She is obviously really passionate about Eritrean food and is happy to demonstrate how to eat certain dishes in the right way.

I ordered a vegetable injara, which is a flat bread served with small vegetable/pulse based dishes. It was absolutely delicious, very healthy, really interesting flavours and spices going on and felt surprisingly full even though it looked quite small. And the best thing, it all came to £4.

Will be back for sure.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Osian J
London, United Kingdom
“Good home cooked Ethiopian Food”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I had read about this place in a blog with 200 good things about Woolwich. So opposite the huge devils Tesco in Woolwich is this stripped down and homely establishment. It is stripped back to the bare tile work of a previous incarnation. It looks fabulous. The breakfast lunch menu includes Ful Beans with boiled egg and condiments of onion, chilli, paprika and chopped tomator with a side of pitta bread. Traditional warming and tasty. They do eggs and sandwhiches also. I noted at least 6 vegetarian dishes on the menu and the coffee is excellent. There are a selection of sweets including Baklava. I am mighily impressed with the place and hope to become a regular becasue my first visit was a happy revelation. Oh my breakfast of Habiti Ful and Coffee cost £5.45 :-)

• Visited April 2014