“Great stay here”

Church Street Hotel
Ranked #520 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My friend and I weren't sure about the location but it was fine. We had a very quiet. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean and nicely decorated
and the staff all very friendly and helpful and friendly.The lounge was a great place to relax with a drink and the breakfast was lovely. What more could anyone need. I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed 22 May 2014

And sure why wouldn't you need a bit of Mexico in London? It's a very good hotel - quirky and fun - cool without trying overly hard to be. I work for a non-profit and this fit the bill for an affordable and central place to stay in London on business. The decor is interesting and the complimentary products and high end towels/sheets are a nice touch. The breakfast was tasty and reasonably priced for London. It's not in a great neighborhood, but it is self-contained with the hotel, bar, and restaurant if you're worried about wandering around in the evening. As a solo traveler, safety is important, and I did feel safe here. There were a couple of things I didn't like. The rate I got (cheap!) meant a very tiny room...6a. In its former life it was a broom closet. One small and high window revealed a view to a wall 3 feet away. It seemed airless. So think carefully about the room you choose because others would be better, and bring your ear plugs because there is a bit of noise as there is with most city center hotels, but overall it's a very good place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room with "a" in it if you're claustrophobic.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel is an unusual oasis of fun tucked away in South London. There is no lift and the stairs are narrow so it would not be ideal for guests with limited mobility. I checked in late in the evening which meant that I missed out on many of the best features. I did not get to the bar or restaurant, didn't manage a drink in the guests lounge, had no time to watch a DVD from the extensive library (there is a TV with DVD player in the room).

The rooms are clean, beds comfortable and the staff friendly and efficient. If you want to crash & dash like I did this hotel has everything you need but it is worth taking a bit of time to absorb the décor and the film set atmosphere. Many hotels have free wifi but this is the only one I've been to that has free chilli sauce. I fully expect to be back here soon for a more leisurely sequel.

Room Tip: My room was not en suite but there was no queue for the shared shower room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The Church Street Hotel is like no other in London. The eclectic décor - think Mexican day of the dead meets an Almodovar film set - the windy corridors and individual rooms always provide a smile. Its great to stay somewhere in London which isn't a cookie cutter business hotel or a cheap, grim corporate bed for night. Its a while since I've been here and there seems to have been an expansion - the next door Angels and Gypsies restaurant was full on Saturday night but we got a table in the downstairs Communion Bar serving the exact same food which was great - inventive Tapas (rabbit, albondigas soup). Three real standouts - the crackers on the cheese board, the Gambas and the mushroooms. Fantastic. Saturday nights also has live music from T-Bone Jerome and his backing band - a great funky/jazz ensemble - very tight and fabulous in a bad taste replica of a chapel. Excellent. After dancing the night away, lurched upstairs to comfy bed, quiet room (despite being at the front of the hotel facing the road). l'Occitaine toiletries and complimentary green and black's chocoloate and chilli relish. It really is different! Staff are friendly and informative. Highly recommended for a funky stay in increasingly funky Camberwell Green.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robin H
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the CST for one night and have decided it was ok. Good things: the complimentary bits are nice, hotel looks nice from outside, room size good. Bad things: lumpy uncomfortable pillows, shower could do with an update, so many stairs and most importantly, no drinks-making facilities in the room. This makes no sense to me, as first thing when we woke up all we wanted was a cup of tea in our bed clothes. The hotel should provision for both in-room and lounge-area drinks. The cost seemed pricey too.

Also 2 further things that have resulted in this ranking. One is that when we left for the night reception asked that we leave the key with them.... I have never heard of that before! Seemed very odd! The other is that the staff could be more willing in terms of offering to phone a taxi for you... They weren't particularly hot on customer service.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at the CST last night and it was fantastic. Superb service, great food (all sourced from quality producers), great atmosphere and lovely rooms with funky decor. The complimentary hot sauce and Green and Blacks chocolate is a fab touch. The L'Occitaine toiletries demonstrate the understated quality of the place.There is a relaxed atmosphere, which makes a pleasant change, and the honesty bar is an automatic winner with me! I have stayed in many hotels, for work, and this is my new number one which I will selfishly keep a secret! I was upgraded to a deluxe room which came as a lovely surprise. If you like something a bit different then you can't go wrong with the CST. I will be returning very soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We arrived late for a brief one night stay. Our daughter was in labor as we arrived from US and wanted us out of the house! (Baby born while we slept.) In spite of the hour (11pm), the clerk was cheerful and helpful. The room was large and had wifi (since our UK phones were not active, this was very helpful to find out that the baby had been born so we could go back to our daughter's house!). The bed was solid. The bathroom was huge! We did not use the tub/shower but everything was clean and the towels were soft and fluffy. Each room is different and the decorations are different in each one. The room had everything one expects from a hotel and more! The next morning, we ate breakfast at the restuarant downstairs which had a nice cold breakfast for 5 pounds and hot breakfast for 9 pounds. We were able to top up our phones and take the bus home rested and refreshed.

Room Tip: Ask the desk clerk.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo