“Needs updating”

Ranked #17 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Bolton
“Needs updating”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I wasn't expecting the Ritz with the prices we paid, however having a SHARED bathroom is too much of a step backwards for my liking. The room was tired but clean and we did have a comfortable night's sleep. My son had a room of his own with a shared toilet right outside his room, resulting in a disturbed night's sleep for him. The parking is an absolute nightmare so it's best to use public transport if feasible. We were fortunate enough to stay in the main complex, so breakfast was onsite. It was awful. The worst coffee I've tasted in this country and overly fried food. I can't fault the staff as they were very polite and friendly. If you just need a place to lay your head and there's no room at the hostel, this is ideal for you. As for us, we won't be making a second visit.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Whilst I would have no derogatory remarks on the 'hotel'? I found it strange that I actually slept across the road from the 'Charlotte', as the accomodation is split over different sites (locally).Parking a 'nightmare', but generally an adequate experience, one I probably would not repeat though. I thought it was reasonable value for the accomodation and service.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

London
Reviewed 1 November 2012

the hotel consists of some houses with private hotel rooms - in one of those is the main building where the reception and the breakfast room is located, the breakfast offer was great, the room size is fine except the bathroom which is in my mind relatively small

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

My mum, myself and my 6 year old son, have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Charlotte Guest House. We stayed in a triple room, with en-suite, which was clean and tidy. The receptionists and breakfast staff were all very friendly and helpful. They looked up information online for us and got us some extra pillows straight away. The breakfast was nice. We stayed in a house across the road from the main B and B, which caused us no problem.

The location was ideal - 5 mins walk to the tube or overground station. The area was very nice - shops and eating places within a short distance, even a lovely farmers market on a Sat morning. Just at the top of the road and to the left was a small Italian street food place called Picassos. We had takeaway pizza there on the first night and ate in the second night, when we had authentic Lasagne and Aubergine Parmigana. This place is highly recommended.

All in all a very pleasant stay and we would definitely stay here again.

Malaysia
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We stayed for 5 nights.Had my wife and her parents.
My first mistake was not checking my booking properly as I thought standard rooms came with en suite.So I was surprised when it turned out I had 2 rooms with shared bathroom.But at least you had a sink in each room.
2nd mistake was having a room at the rear as the train station is right next door.So much noise and the room shakes.
I had the night porter knocking at my door.He said we were disturbing him due to the noise of our bed.It was only 10.30pm and he is meant to be on duty then.Plus we could hear him talking through the night.

Overall I wouldn't stay in the same rooms again.We paid £60 per room per night and for that price we should have en suite.The guesthouse urgently needs an update.

Staff were very nice and helpful.Breakfast was quite alright.Location was good as overground railway next to it and underground a 5min walk away.Plenty of shops,restauraunts,atm,post office etc nearby.

3 Thank L M
Tyne and Wear
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This guest house is situated in a lovely leafy street in Hampstead close to both Thameslink and tube. I was given a room in another house at the end of the street which had no wifi, involves a walk to reception (no phone) and in the morning, walk along the street for breakfast. The bedroom was furnished as from a junk shop - very old outdated stained furniture, mugs provided were chipped, one milk portion ( this was a double room for 2 people) no soap, shampoo, shower gel, the thinnest towels I have ever seen. On the plus side, bed was comfortable and clean. Shower worked well and TV was fine.The worst thing of all was when the guests in the room above me arrived home. I could hear them using the loo, cleaning their teeth and talking. It was as if thet were in the same room as me. I spoke to pleasant receptionist who said there was no other room available which would be any better. Breakfast was appalling - the cheapest food imaginable, half a cheese slice and half a piece of ham. cheese triangle and 2 bread items. Tea is served in thick mugs. If this sounds like your sort of place, book the Charlotte Guest House. It is not for me. Pay a little more and get a modern hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the actual Guest House, not one along the street