“Basic, bordering on depressing”

Charlotte Guest House
Ranked #19 of 575 London B&B and Inns
australia
“Basic, bordering on depressing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

While the guesthouse is in a good position and staff are friendly enough, you get the impression that they seem bored and just can't be bothered . It's not dirty, but really shabby and run down .Could do with a paint job, fresh carpet and ANYTHING which would get rid of the omnipresent smell of cigarettes.
The breakfast was ok in that there was plenty of it but it was tasteless, odourless and colourless- not unlike the sort of food you'd expect to get on remand awaiting trial.
Not terribly expensive but unless you literally need a place to sleep and will be out all day, I can only hope and pray you could get more for your money elsewhere.
I don't know about you but when I am on holiday, I want to be uplifted. Ok, so I'd be happy to be just on holiday. But I don't want to be more depressed that I might have been had I stayed at work.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — smell of cigarettes. breakast
  • Stayed April 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank happycamper014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
johor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2009

This is a practical basic guest house and I dont mind staying here again.All the staff were friendly ,it is near the underground tube,there's a halal restaurant nearby and there's Tesco across the road.What more can I ask?

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank NOR5
Hamburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

This was my second stay at Charlotte Guest House in London. Before I placed my reservation I have read through the many comments. I was surprised that there were so many reviews full of disappointment. A few years ago I stayed at this B&B and it was worth the money. So I decided to ignore the critics and to give the place another try.
Well, I had to reajust my former good experiences.
First of all the girls at the reception were very helpfull and friendly. Also the rooms are quite big and just around the corner there are supermarkets, small coffee shops, an underground station with perfect access to downtown, busses etc. So what is it, which makes this place so terribly poor?
It is the general condition of the rooms. They definitely need some maintenance. I mean, how expensive can it be to make sure:
- that there are bulbs in the lights
- that the carpet doesn't look unbelievable dirty
- that there are no loose brickets in the kitchen wall
- that the underpart of the beds isn't worn to threads
- the wallpapers are scratched
- there is a kitchen, but no dishes
- the electric kettle or microwave is working
- the curtains doesn't hang loose
- the patio isn't just a unloving green walled in area etc.

It doesn't take a lot of money or pure luxury to make this place a great location just passion. Take some paint, drive to IKEA and in no time this place could be as charming as its surrounding location and the girls at the reception.

Change something or this place will be doomed one day.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nocturno_9
Berthoud, COLORADO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

We (four senior citizens -- my husband, sister, brother-in-law in a wheelchair, and I) had booked accomodation at the Charlotte Guest House nearly a year ago. We were looking for a good location at a reasonable price. We have been to London several times and have stayed in various types of accomodation from the high end Brown's Hotel in Mayfair to very private B & Bs. Just before we left on our trip we saw several very bad reviews and were concerned that we had made a terrible mistake.

We were quite pleasantly surprised. The location is indeed ideal. A block away is a nice little village with train, underground, and bus access, several restaurants and shops, two bakeries, even a nice little library. Because of the wheelchair we took the bus which runs 24 hours every 10 minutes and took us all the way across the the Thames to Waterloo. We stopped at Baker Street to see the Sherlock Holmes Museum, at Trafalgar to see the National Portrait Gallery, and at Picadilly Circus to eat in China town and take in a play at the Criterion Theater.

The Guest House itself is older and perhaps somewhat shabby , but clean and comfortable. The shower had the hottest water and the most pressure of any B & B we stayed at during this entire trip from Ireland to Scotland to England. Yes the windows were open to give the rooms a good airing and no screens exist but so what! You can always close the window. The breakfast -- full English -- was good and perfectly satisfying.

The manager (Joyce?) was extremely friendly and helpful. She gave us much good advice about the local area and arranged for a very reasonable taxi service to the airport when we left. We also were given croissants, cheese, ham and rolls to take with us the night before as we had to leave at 4:30 am. All of the wait staff and room cleaners were friendly and helpful.

We had traveled by train down from York so had no car to drive in London or park. Who would want to?

All in all, if you want good value, good location for a reasonable price in London, this is the place. If you want deluxe accomodation then you must accept the high prices that prevail in London.

I would recommend Charlotte Guest House.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sandrah9
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2009

Charlotte Guest house. I thought I'd seen it all but this place was unbelievable. Dirty, damp, disgusting, dilapidated, fire hazard, health hazard, hair riddled greasy inedible breakfast, rude and unhelpful staff. There are not enough adjectives to aptly describe this hovel. Just when I thought I could bear it no more the resident above us had a shower and water poured through our ceiling. I have written to them to complain but surprise,surprise I've had no reply. One day the whole place will collapse on to poor unsuspecting guests - WARNING: DO NOT BOOK INTO THIS PLACE!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
18 Thank ruthwhitehead
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

I would never recommend this guest house (if you could call it that) to anyone. It was unsafe, unfriendly and unclean. The breakfast was a joke and it was over priced. The staff (bar the receptionist) were rude and obnoxious and the rooms are outdated and dirty. We arrived at night time and was told that we were to stay in another house further down the street. The house was in total darkness and every window was open - it definitely did not feel safe. The English breakfast was a joke and made in a minging little kitchen and the only thing continental about the continental breakfast was the lady who served it. Do not waste your money on this accommodation. Disgusted.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank e2ma1
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

The rooms was clean and comfortable,but the furnishing are starting to look a bit old.Breakfast was very good with a lot of choices (cereal, english breakfast,juices etc).
The staff was very friendly and helpful,from receptionist to waitress,no exception.The location has very good conection with central of London,with plenty of restaurants around.
I'll recomand this hotel for people which came to visit london,it's great value for money!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends