“Efficiently-run hostel in a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park

MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park
Ranked #70 of 827 Speciality Lodging in London
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Efficiently-run hostel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I've stayed at Meininger for the past few years whenever I visit London. The staff are friendly and efficient, and the continental breakfast is the proper German version with a big choice of foods that really sets you up for the day. It's five minutes from Kensington Gardens, and right opposite the main museums. There are two pubs in Gloucester Road which is also five minutes walk. The rooms are clean enough for any normal person who doesn't have OCD or live in a palace. There's always school parties there but they stay in their own dormitories and are generally strictly supervised by their teachers. The adult guests are well-behaved, you don't get people rolling in drunk and making noise.
The downside is that in summer the dorms are very hot and humid at night, despite the noisy air conditioning. However most guests don;t seem to mind because they're from hotter countries- I'm British so I'm used to cooler temperatures. Secondly, the dorms face out over a main road which is busy even at night, so it's a bit noisy.
I had to change rooms during my stay due to them needing space for a big party, but that's the first time that's happened in several years.

Room Tip: Bring some of those eyeshades that people wear on planes so you can still sleep even if some idiot h...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Meininger H, Manager at MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comment about your last stay and for choosing Meininger Hotel London Hyde Park as your preferred hotel in London! We are sorry to hear that you got disturbed by the street noise but due to our central location unfortunately this is something we cannot change unless you close the windows (which are double glazed).
Next time ask for a quiet room and we will try our best to accommodate you in one of the rooms that are facing the back.

We look forward to welcoming you again in one of our hotels around Europe :)

Your Meininger Team London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago as a group of 24 Girl Guides and Leaders and we were really happy with the place.

The location is a tube ride away from central London, but if you look up the location before you book you'd already know this! It is 5 minutes walking from 2 different tube stations and walking distance to some of London's major museums.

The staff are mostly absolutely fantastic. Rosi who checked us in was polite, knowledgeable and fantastic when we had noise complaints about the horrible group of teenagers staying on the same floor as us being allowed to run riot and using foul language on the corridor after midnight! Unfortunately their teachers seemed to prefer a few beers in the bar than to keep their group under control, so the poor staff had to deal with them.

The rooms are good, not the biggest but certainly spacious enough. Our girls loved that they were split into two smaller rooms separated by 2 bathrooms. The only complaint that I would have was that some of our girls ended up feeling quite poorly due to the heat of the rooms even with the window open - perhaps fans or an air-con upgrade would be a good idea! The bathrooms are tiny but have everything you need - but the water pressure isn't great in the shower so it does mean it takes longer to shower than you would normally take.

The breakfast is included in the group rate and I couldn't fault it. Yes it's the same things every day, and yes it's only continental but it's lovely! Fresh and tinned fruits, three types of cereal, toast, fresh rolls, butter, jam, marmalade, nutella, ham, salami, tomatoes, cheeses, yoghurts and even a big vat of beans if you want beans on toast.

The only problems we encountered were the horrendous school group (not the hotels fault!) and the heat of the rooms.

I wouldn't recommend this place for couples/families or small groups of friends unless you are on a major budget but at £25pnpp including breakfast, it is an absolute must for groups over 10 or so!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Meininger H, Manager at MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear guest,

We wanted to thank you for your nice review. Unfortunately during your stay we had some issues with the settings of the air-con which increased considerably the heat in the rooms, and for health and safety reasons we can't open the windows more than a certain width. Nevertheless, we solved the issue and now everything is back to normal, ready to face the heat of London’s summer.
We do have a lot of backpackers, families and groups of friends staying in our hotel as well - especially during the summer - and really enjoy this mixture of people.
We'd love to welcome you again in the future!

Best regards

Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hostel is one of the worst hostels I've ever stayed at. Here are a few reasons why...

1. They didn't give us the room we asked for. And when we brought it up the rooms were booked and gave us a look like, you kind of have to deal with it now.

The room they did give us was insanely compact. We are literally on top of these strange men who smell of feet and unwashed wet towel. The room looked nothing like in the picture and I'm concerned about the cleanliness. I refuse to take off my shoes. And I'm not even a neat freak :(

2. The wifi makes you log back in every 10 seconds. I've memorized the number and may even dream of them later, I've typed them in so much.

3. The location is not as great as advertised. It is close to the science museum, Victoria and Albert museum, and the national history museum. But it is very far away from all he iconic sights such as Big Ben, the London eye, the Tower of London, the main train station. You will be paying 4.70 to ride the train anywhere. Unless you get day pass, but either way it's a hassle unless you want only museums.

4. The staff...not knowledgable at all! I've asked a plethora of questions for which the common answer was a half cocked head, scrunchy forehead, and a polite I don't know mam. The politeness is good at least.

5. Bathrooms! Ugh...these are so small I have to do some gymnastic routine to close the door. Not to mention they smell like wet dog. There is no water pressure and the doors are hard to close with only one hook to hang your things.

6. And to top it all off it is over priced 30-50 dollars per night! It's not worth 2 cents!

7. They charge 5.90 pounds for a freaking breakfast!

I try to find the good in everything but this place has challenged me beyond reason. I will never stay at a Meininger again and will never recommend it to anyone. Please don't waste your money!

I just had to log back in to post this...agh!!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hostel...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sasha77711
Dear guest,

We are very sorry to hear that your stay at Meininger didn't meet your expectations.
Please send us an email so we can discuss a few things further.

Kind regards

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

When we arrived with 51 person, the lobby look so small.. plus there is a disco event at the auditorium .. so it is really crowd .... there is only 1 elevator and it is small ... since this is a youth hostel, we have to wear a tag which makes my group does not really comfortable while the other group does not have to put it on ... the bathroom for 5 person in 1 room is TOO SMALL .... the guy at the kitchen preparing our lunch pack with the wrong menu and luck it is settled in 30 minutes and they do not prepare our lunch pack on the second day... but we got to run .. so we left without our lunch pack ...

Room Tip: try to get on the 4th floor but not 401 - 403 ...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 10RISAL
Meininger H, Receptionist at MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear guest,

thank you for your honest reply. We really appreciate that!

We feel sorry for the experienced inconvinience, but nevertheless hope to see you and your group again!

Regards,
Your MEININGER Team London
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

When I shell out £83 for a night's accommodation, I expect a few things: a comfortable room, a private bathroom, and, if I'm being honest, something a little nicer than the average hostel.

When I checked in and found that my room made my college dorm room look spacious, I was understandably disappointed. My too small single bed was crammed in between a desk and a TV that had no remote and would have made my PC monitor look large by comparison.

My bathroom, which happened to be the handicapped bathroom for whatever reason, was twice the size of my room and (pleasantly) came with body wash and shampoo. The bathroom had a separate entrance out into the hall, so I had to ensure that was locked securely for fear of being walked in on by the too loud people I shared the floor with.

If this had been a hostel, I'd have gone in expecting it and being okay with it. But when you market yourself as a hotel and charge hotel prices, you need to offer more than shoddy dorm accommodation. I've stayed in nicer private rooms at considerably cheaper and less 'classy' hostels.

Frankly, you'd be better off paying £10 a day to get around by Underground and just stay someplace cheaper and a little farther from the city. I felt massively overcharged and underwhelmed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AussieOnTheRoadcom
Meininger H, Manager at MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment about your stay. We are sorry that you felt letdown. We are a mixture of a hotel and a hostel, and we always try to provide the best possible comfort for our guests. We keep remotes for the TVs at reception and they’re available upon request. The bathroom of your room is wheelchair accessible, it can only be accessed from the outside by our staff with a special key in case of an emergency. However, we do hope to see you again at one of our Meininger hotels around Europe.

Kind regards,

Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We found the idea of staying in a large budget place a bit daunting, as they can be scruffy, but here we found the staff very pleasant especially as we were 'just' of pensionable age and most of the clientele were youths! Good to see a few more of our age there too. it is also next door to the natural history museum. Great position.

Room Tip: Bathrooms are cubicles and a bit tight to move in, bit like being on a overnight train! But clean. N...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Meininger H, Manager at MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear guest,

We’re delighted to know that your stay was pleasant. We’re proud of having great staff who speak different languages and are very customer focused. The bathrooms are small but have everything you need in them. However, we will undergo a refurbishment of our bathrooms to make them larger in the near future.
We hope to welcome you again!

Best regards,

Your Meininger-Team
Mendoza, Argentina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Where should I start?
- First, the hostel charges for EVERYTHING, even the crappy ear plugs that most hostels give for free. The say they let you "borrow" towels, but you have to pay and leave a deposit.
- The WIFI is awful, we didn't get any signal in the bedrooms, only in the lobby. And if you want to use the computers in the lobby guess what...you have to pay extra!!
- The lock devices in the drawers below the beds were all BROKEN. Talk about safety...
- No breakfast included, off course.
- Don't get me started on the bathrooms....disgusting places! The corners were oxidezed, and you felt you were taking a shower in an airplane bathroom.
- Last, the doorhandle in our room broke down, meaning we couldn't get out of the room. It took the staff 24 hours to fix it...we had to put a basket to keep the door from shutting.

For what you pay, the only thing to acount for is the location. As most London hostels, so...do the math.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay.
We are sorry to hear your stay didn't meet full expectations. We always aim to provide an excellent customer service and that is why your opinion is very important to us.
At the hotel we try to provide as many amenities as possible so our guests can enjoy their stay even more. One of these are our earplugs for £0.50 and towels at £1 charge and a £5 deposit. We also offer security boxes as well as padlocks and hairdryers free of charge, only against a £5 deposit.
Unfortunately, we had a technical problem with our free WIFI during your stay. We did our best to solve the issue as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.
We have reported the broken lockers to our maintenance team. Next time we kindly ask you to report the issue to reception immediately so we can solve it. We are more than happy to store bags from our guests in our luggage room and give you a safety box for your valuables.
Our rates do not include breakfast, however for £5.90 per person you could enjoy an unlimited tasty buffet.
Our bathrooms are small size but we're happy to offer mostly ensuite rooms. Nevertheless, we are planning to do some works in the near future to extend their size.
Lastly, we’d like to apologize about the door handle. We tried to get it fix as soon as we could.

Kind regards,