We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hyde Park Rooms Hotel
Ranked #253 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Having booked this hotel in early December as there were not many other budget choices in Central London for New Years Eve, i read the many positive reviews and - even though i saw the photos and did not expect something wow - i expected something decent and okay! I was sooo wrong! The only positive thing about it was its location! Very central, close to everything, public transportation and many restaurants near buy, but other than that... NOTHING! First of all, it was a very, very smelly hotel! The whole hotel (corridors, stairs, reception area) would smell of the hot milk and bacon from the morning's breakfast, it was awful! The furniture were VERY old, there was no telephone in the room, no safe (therefore we had to lock and unlock our suitcases every time we needed money or something), and the shower water did not work properly, the water would just go everywhere! Another thing we didnt like, was that every time the cleaning lady would clean our room, she would turn off the heater! So whenever we got back to the hotel, we had to wait for 1.5 for the room to get hot! There was never noone at reception and the breakfast was relatively poor (i guess its okay regarding the price of the rooms but still could include one-two things extra to make it richer). The price we got included wi-fi, but wi-fi would only work in the breakfast area, never in our rooms! So whenever we wanted to check our emails, browse something, or check-in for the airline, we had to go sit at the stairs right where the breakfast area is (and deal with that AWFUL smell of hot water, disgusting!!!)! There was no sign outside the hotel (all the other hotel had big signs with the hotel's name), this hotel had nothing except a veeery small sign that you had to be close to it to read it, and the lights in the hotel were always turned off, alwayss even at late night! On the last day of our stay, we had to print our airline check-in and we asked whether we could do so there! They didnt even have a printer (had one but stopped working months ago)! I do not understand how this hotel counts as a hotel, will never go back, prefer to pay a few more money next time, anywhere else will be much more decent!

Room Tip: Dont! Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank wastoroua1985

Reviewed 9 January 2013

This place was perfect for us.
The underground is nearby, the rooms are very very clean and the owner Carole is great!
Our room was big (it was for three but she gave us for two), with a little bathroom.
The english breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kore82
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Very affordable price for London and such a great location but somehow just seemed a little dodgy.
Not thrilled about being asked to pay in cash when I'd have preferred to pay with a credit card for the second night, like we did for the first when we reserved. Not a big deal though.
(Later, we wondered if this was intentional to keep dissatisfied guests from stopping payment on charges for the room.)
My husband and I like to imagine that we are super - flexible, not really demanding about stuff so we really didn't care that the room wasn't spotless, didn't care at all about the stairs that others seemed miffed by, weren't worried about the fact that the internet connection didn't work, didn't eat breakfast so no feedback there.
What got under our skins a bit was coming home early from a night out so that we could pack and plan for an early out the next morning to catch an international flight and the TV had been removed from our room. But even that wasn't the part that sticks with me. It was going downstairs to ask Carol about it and being told that she had taken the TV out of our room to put in another guest's room because she figured we'd be out enjoying London. Seem like there was some judgement in the comment as if we're a couple of losers who come to London to watch TV in our room. She offered no solution. We were annoyed to be put in a position to feel like we were being obnoxious because we thought it was crap to have amenities removed from the room we'd payed for and then feel like we had to explain ourselves as to why it might be nice to have had the TV. We were coming back through London for some days before we would return back to the States and would have sought to reserve here again but decided to pick another spot. It's too bad that we were kinda soured by the experience or we'd be repeat visitors for sure.
I will say that we asked for 10 pounds back as compensation for the second night with no TV and Carol agreed to refund that amount to our credit card. I doubted that she would follow through on this but she did.

Room Tip: We're going to try the Oxford Hotel in Earls Court on our way back through.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanie W
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed a few days in November 2012. Hotel was very clean, comfortable, nice size room with en-suite. Amazing breakfast; eggs, bacon, cereal, plenty of toast and a good pot of English tea. Inn keeper was very helpful when I asked for tourist information or directions. I liked being close to Hyde Park, easy access to public transportation and only minutes away from Paddington station, restaurants and pubs. I would definitely stay at this hotel when I visit London next year.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank James B
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed there for 3 nights and was it very pleasurable. We had arrived very early at 8am and was expecting to only leave our bags as not sure if we could get our rooms (as check in is actually at 1pm). However, they were very accommodating and by before 10am, we were already settled in.

All the people there are very helpful and very friendly. Breakfast was lovely. Location was very good with a 5 minute walk to the tube station and stores very close by. I was travelling with small children and they also found the place to be quite cozy and had never complained about the rooms or the walk to the tube station.

Only negative thing is the stairs but if you are staying in these sorts of hotels in central London, then be prepared for that. Overall, a very good stay and would not mind staying again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank s_idid
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This little gem of a B&B is in a great location minutes from Paddington Station (perfect for if you are transferring to/from Heathrow or Victoria Station) and walking distance to Kensington and Hyde Parks. I got the last room available at the hotel - which was quite small, but perfect for just me and my luggage as I was out and about in the city most of the time. I shared a bathroom and shower - but these were all kept tidy and clean. The innkeeper, Carole, was most accomodating and friendly. Breakfast was filling and delicious. Price is great, too.

Room Tip: I was in a very small room on the bottom floor - I had to climb 3 flights of stairs to get to the sh...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank hnmrocks
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I recently stayed here and loved it. It's in a great location near Paddington station. Despite other reviews, I found the walk short, less than 5 minutes, and in a lovely location.Pubs and restaurants near by. Yes there are stairs to get up, but knowing that beforehand made I was ready and had no problem hiking my stuff up the stairs. Carole was wonderful. Super helpful and breakfast was lovely. I feel as though I've found my new go to spot in London for a great price. I would 100% stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors, you wont hear people coming up the stairs. (Not that I did very...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo